Thread: Islamorada in May- Tarpon and Swordfish- guides needed

Default Islamorada in May- Tarpon and Swordfish- guides needed

2 fish have eluded me throughout the years, and I hope to catch both this year- I have an oceanfront rental with boat slip first week of May in Islamorada and need a great guide for both species- who you got and Thanks.
    I will be dragging my flats boat down for general fishing and sandbar cruising.

Nick Stanczyk seems to catch the swordfish down there. I think he stays pretty booked though

You can catch tarpon under every bridge in May by yourself. Float a live crab down to them and hang on.

Worm hatch in May, catch all the tarpon you want

Are you Looking to catch A tarpon, or looking to fish for them in a specific way?

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Nick Stanczyk seems to catch the swordfish down there. I think he stays pretty booked though
    Last I heard he was booked out a year.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Nick is the man on swordfish. I have his cell number if you want it.

Any of those bud and Mary’s guys can get you a sword. Nick might be good, but it’s not rocket science. Ross early of the early bird is from Bamberg

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    You can catch tarpon under every bridge in May by yourself. Float a live crab down to them and hang on.
    This right here.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Any of those bud and Mary’s guys can get you a sword. Nick might be good, but it’s not rocket science. Ross early of the early bird is from Bamberg
    Very nice fellow. We kept a boat a few slips down from his for a week a couple months ago. They catch a lot of fish, but you will encounter more than a few douchy youtube remoras trying hard to cling on...

Ted Wilson - he keeps his skiff at Bud and Mary's

Dale Perez - pick you up at the LoreLei.

I have always had the worst time trying to catch a tarpon during "worm season". They aren't real aggressive as they can swim along and eat all the worms they want. March is the best month to get multiple chances at a giant female Tarpon in the backcountry. They are everywhere.

Swordfish ? Bout any offshore guy down there can get you an opportunity.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I"ll be there May 14-22. Fishing with our old friend, Capt Ron Wagner, a couple days then on our own the rest. He was a guide for over 40 years and now retired. Tarpon and Permit are our targets but will mix in some trips to the back country as well. A good friend of mine is partners in a charter out of Duck Key with a 31 Contender and they do quite well on the swords. I'll get you some info.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I was wrong. Big Pine Key not Duck. Kevin Rowley www.bigpinefishing.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I'm sure you are aware, Permit fishing in May = deep water wreck fishing. Great time to catch a jumbo sized model.. They are usually off the flats in deeper water spawning. June will have them back on the Flats hungry and easier to catch after spawn. Best fly fishing time to target them. Regardless, any day in the Keys is awesome. Enjoy!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My best backcountry ( Flamingo) guide for Giant March tarpon is closely guarded.. PM if you want info. He is known for 20-30 hookups a trip on Tarpon during the pre-migration time period. Casting topwater plugs..

Also does winter trips ( Jan / Feb) in the Govt Cut/ Biscayne Bay area for Tarpon.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 02-19-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I really appreciate all the info- my Keys trips have always been between Christmas and New Years because thats when I close my company so everyone can get their second week of vacation and be with their families. It's hard not to sailfish that time of year when we're catching 20/day.

Be sure to spend some money at Lazy Days. Hog Fish if they have it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.