Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Lines and Reels

Default Fishing Lines and Reels

I was in Murrels Inlet yesterday and stopped in at Perry’s Bait and Tackle and spoke with one individual who works there. I purchased a few items from him. He offered me a used 7 foot surf rod for $10.00. I could not pass it up

This leads me into my next set of questions about surf fishing in Myrtle Beach. Which is better and the most used fishing line from the shoreline? Braid or monofilament fishing line? I heard that both are used by many individuals. Do you use just the braid or is there a monofilament leader in front of the braid line? How do you determine what size of reel to buy. I read where 3000, 4000 and 5000 sizes are good. But the manufacture’s specs only discuss braid line sizes (i.e. 12/220 14/190 16/160 | 50/140 65/90 80/75). How do you measure monifilament line against the braid sizes? How much line should one put on a reel in yards? I read 300 yards is most popular length.

Since I now have a fishing rod, next comes the reel. I have decided to go with a lower cost reel until I learn more about the sport and equipment. I am now looking for a good reliable reel with a price tag of $80.00 or below. I was thinking of the Kastking Sharky Baitrunner III. But then I read that they are not good for being around saltwater and sand. I like the bait runner theory and would like to purchase a reel with it on it. Any suggestions on the above two topics are welcomed.

I can't wait for warmer weather. Until then I will slowly purchace what I need and learn from memebers here on "SCDUCKS"

Just save all your questions up and ask 2th Monday. He will take his time to answer each one.

Im of no help on the budget reel shopping aside from you kind of get what you pay for especially in saltwater.
    As far as line is considered it all comes down to the reel and what you are doing with it. You can use just mono, put a braid backer on mono, use just braid etc. Braid allows more line on a reel pound for pound test against mono but comes with its own challenges.
    If you go straight braid you need a certain amount of shock leader as your terminal end in mono/flouro since braid doesn’t stretch as a general rule.
    I use braid on all of my inshore/coastal tackle but run mono and/or flouro at the terminal ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you trying to catch? That’s going to determine your equipment.

Hard to beet a penn battle II or iii for the money. I have a lot of them and they do great.

Braid with a mono leader. Again, weight depends on what you are trying to do.

My surf reels are 5000 and I catch all the small stuff, bull reds and sharks.

If you are dead set on no more than $80 I would get a Shimano Sahara in the 4000 size and spool it with 10 or 15lb. Power pro braid. Braid will allow you to make much longer cast out into the surf. If you want to spend a little more you can’t go wrong with the Shimano Stradic in the 4000 size. (About $200) Either reel should hold about 200 yards of line. Use a Carolina rig with a 1oz weight and about a foot of 30lb. Fluorocarbon or Mono leader. For cut bait and live mullet I like a 3/0 owner mutu light circle hook when I’m targeting trout, reds, flounder etc. Walk the beach on low tide and take a mental note of the gullies and depressions. Fish those edges on the higher water.

If he’d have only asked that first question and stopped...

At this point, we can clearly see this guy is a googan.

7' is a very short surf rod. Most of my boat rods are at least 7'. Real surf rods are typically in the 10 - 12' range length.

Don't fret though. A 7' rod is probably more useful as an all around rod than a surf rod would be. As has already been mentioned, for the stuff we fish for around here in the surf, you don't need to cast a mile.

Braid is much smaller diameter than mono of the same break strength. Braid also has almost no stretch, which gives you much more sensitivity to what's happening on the other end. It has less resistance to current so your line will stay put better in rip currents. It has way less loop memory than mono but can be a little tricky to use because it has a tendency to throw a loose loop over the top of the spool when you retrieve. The next cast pulls that loop off early and causes a rat's nest. Learn to get in the habit of looking at the spool before every cast and if you see a loop, pull the line off manually until you clear the loop.

Braid requires good knots because it's slick and poor knots can slip. Learn to tie a Uni-knot and a line-to-line uni-knot and use a terminal leader of mono or flouro of 18 inches. You'll eventually need other knots in your quiver but the uni can get you by in most situations. Use circle hooks and let fish swim the line tight when they bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    At this point, we can clearly see this guy is a googan.
    Thats cool! I will except the "fishing slang" pointed at me with a smile. Yes I am a googan, but that is why I am posting questions here at SCDucks. I want to learn as much as possible before the warmer weather sets in. I have visited NetKnot.com to learn how to ties fishing knots. I have already begun tying high and low rigs and will search SCDucks for more rigs to learn and prepare. I now have a motivator. Hopefully by the end of the fall I will have shead the title of "googan".

Peace!

7’ rod is fine for most days. Heck I use freshwater bass rod/ reels from surf quite a bit and catch plenty of whiting, trout, sharks, reds, blues, stingrays, etc. the softer tip actually helps with the smaller fish.

I do have a 9’ with Penn Battle II 5000 that is pretty universal from surf and can pull in anything I actually want to see on the sand. About as economical as you can get too. I have 20# braid on this reel with mono leader.

Spend more money on reels and replace rods when they are done.

My surf rods are 9' ugly stik bigwater paired with Battle II 5000's.

I have some lighter gear (7' rods with Battle II 2500/3000s) that I'll either cast into the surf or put 1/0 hooks on with little shrimp pieces. Basically these are my bait catching set ups for whiting and blue fish or the occasional pompano. But of course from time to time it can get a little squirrely when you catch a 2-3' spinner.

Never really put a lot of thought into surf fishing but it is fun. I don't go to the beach without my fishing stuff. If I'm going to be sitting in the sand, I'm going to have a line in the water.

This is SC ducks, THE place for serious duck hunters. You need to go to Charleston fishing.com.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I got a Diawa BG-60 with spare spool I will take 65 for
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Don't know alot about surf fishing at Myrtle Beach, but if you run low on lead, just check the parking lot out before you drive back to Bass Pro.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I fish out of Huntington often when it warms up. I use Penn Battles and catch anything that bites. Perry’s is my preferred bait shop. Pm if you need any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Just save all your questions up and ask 2th Monday. He will take his time to answer each one.
    tee it up
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

What happened to all the gaff topsail catfish?

Thanks to all that contibuted to this thread. After reviewing the positive remarks I purchased a Penn Battle III 4000 with 20# Power Pro braid line. I am holding off on purchasing a rod until I walk the beaches and see what other anlers are using.

Good fishing and keep those lines tight.

Keep the small rod as a backup. Others may have a different opinion but a 10' rod is a pretty good size so that you can cast out a little farther. But then again, its surf fishing and I just enjoy being on the beach with a beer so I dont take much mind to what i'm using. Ive used the same set up for years.

2th doesn't do baitcasters so keep that in mind.

If no one mentioned it, it all depends on your quarry. Pompano, reds, sharks? All can use different gear. Get several different setups and be versitile.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.