Thread: Shop insulation?

Default Shop insulation?

I have a 24’x40’ shop at my house that I have been thinking about adding some insulation to. Right now all the studs and rafters are totally exposed. I added an attic exhaust fan last summer and that helped a lot with the heat. I was thinking if I added insulation to the ceiling that it would also help. What would be the most cost effective way to do something like this? The rafters are on 24” centers. Do they make faced fiberglass insulation this size that I could just staple to the rafters? Or would I need to cover the bottom of the rafters with some kind of sheeting and roll un faced insulation on top of the sheeting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

They make it faced and unfaced, but you'd probably have to order it if you deal with a big box, local yard may have some. If you're doing a ceiling, blown insulation is cheaper. Pay a local insulation company to fill 'er up.

Look on Craigslist under “materials”. There’s a guy down near the beach that sells polyiso sheets, new and used, (4x8) in several thicknesses and R values.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
    They make it faced and unfaced, but you'd probably have to order it if you deal with a big box, local yard may have some. If you're doing a ceiling, blown insulation is cheaper. Pay a local insulation company to fill 'er up.
    It's not a ceiling- it's the underside of the roof- RIF

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Look on Craigslist under “materials”. There’s a guy down near the beach that sells polyiso sheets, new and used, (4x8) in several thicknesses and R values.
    This right here.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I'm putting a foam board with a reflective foil back up in my shop right now. Comes in 4x8 sheets. Should I have used something else?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I'm putting a foam board with a reflective foil back up in my shop right now. Comes in 4x8 sheets. Should I have used something else?
    It’s my understanding that the foam boards, even 2” thick, don’t have a very high R value.
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    It's not a ceiling- it's the underside of the roof- RIF
    I think it is still a ceiling, I have an attic in my shop as well. I thought about not doing the ceiling and doing the underside of the roof instead of the ceiling. However according to what I was told, that would be harder since you need to leave a air gap so the air can flow from the eve to the ridge vent.

DBDC19C2-62A3-4375-A9FB-1F3BD8495BD9.jpg

Put a ceiling in it whatever type you use. If you’re using batt, you be breathing fiberglass particles all the time without it. Rigid insulation is expensive and not very durable, I wouldn’t use it as a sheathing. Drywall and some blown insulation is probably your cheapest option right now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I didn't read everything. I was assuming it was a metal building. Osb the ceiling and buy a couple bags of attic cat from Lowe's and they will let you take the machine with you. It's so easy a dentist could do it. I'd do the Craigslist or marketplace foam on the walls. You're losing most of your heat up top anyway.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

You could always spray foam the roof line. Most of that heat is radiant heat coming in from the roof anyway. Not cheap but effective.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft