Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chessies- What to know

Default Chessies- What to know

I brought us home a new Chesapeake pup from Texas, "Roxie". She has a decent pedigree, from a long line of CH and MH dogs.
    I did fairly well training my Chocolate lab.. but I want to up my game on this one, with doing more field trials.
    We do have a local retriever club that I have used in the past.

She is 3 months old now. Smarter than any dog I have owned, and tough as hell. My 80lb lab throws her around all day and she can't get enough.
    Obedience is going well, fetching to hand, and she's getting in the water. We are already doing gun intro with no issues.
    In addition to FTs + general gun dog, she will be doing deer recovery. There's a lot more opportunity to stay busy with deer around here.
    Recommendations for game recovery training materials would be appreciated.

Roxie Truck Small.jpg

Roxie Creek Small.jpg

Roxie Duck Small.jpg

Pretty pup. Looks like she'll cut you if you cross her.

Good looking pup, agree with Wob she’s got that look about her.

Patience, patience and more patience,,,from an experienced owner,,,they're much smarter than any trainer and Bullheaded as any breed out there!! Most loyal breed you'll find with huge heart and determination!

Great looking pup! Good luck with the training.

great looking pup. I don't join in the dog threads often since my chessie doesn't hunt any longer but I can tell you she has been a great dog.
    She has flushed pheasant in numerous snowy midwest winters, chassed down winged ducks that have swam off 100+ yards, ran trials and been a great house dog. Point being is that they are very hardworking versatile dogs that can also withstand the weather if you do take it out of state. They have a nose like no other and determination to the highest level.
    The hardworking part can sometimes change to be more of a stubborn personality, although they are out to please and get the job the done. My old trainer ran mainly chessies in trials so I was able to see many of them in action. I have seen some hard ass men come through with their pups trying to beat commands into them and the dogs just failing. They are not the same as other breads, you have to work with them and they will work with you. You cant just drill commands into them.

Socialize her with alot of people and other dogs at an early age.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Beautiful pup. I have been owned by chessies my entire life. They are physically very tough but psychologically very soft. They do not respond to pressure. Do not try to train one like a lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Socialize her with alot of people and other dogs at an early age.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Very important.

Hard headed and stubborn are understatements. Socialize socialize socialize. And be prepared to be outsmarted a lot.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

I've been partnered with Chessies since 1989.... Others have mentioned some good points.
    At about 1.5 years old she will try your patience and it won't just be a quickie thing.
    You will want to kill her or give the bitch away but stand fast and breath deep.... It will pass.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Don't confuse her bringing the bird to you with being properly force fetched. If you're not comfortable with FF, get with a trainer for some help.

Pretty girl!

Great pic. You're lucky!

If you want to read a great story about a Chessie, check out Hunter Smith's A Life Afield; one of the stories is about the Chessie [named Circe] he had from his early teens to his twenties. You might cry like a kid at the end of Ol' Yeller but it's a helluva' story.

She didn't have a great start as a hunting dog but she really grew into it and had a great finish.

That is a pretty silver lab pup!

Beautiful pup.

Great breed indeed. My Dad had a love / hate relationship with the ones we had.

I hunted over a couple that my friend Pat Pitt had back in the late 80s/ early 90s. They were incredibly capable dogs. You get out what you put into a Chessie for sure. I look forward to seeing Roxie's progress.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Thanks to all. Good points made on socialization and heavy-handed training.
    She is testing my patience, while making me grin at the same time...
    This morning she climbed the table to get to her food bowl.

Roxie Table Small.jpg

Ha that is great! Save that one.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Prayers sent!!

Deer recovery is easy. Have to listen to what they are telling you. Took me while to figure that one out. Never doubt their nose. Let her chew on any deer on any meat pole, back of truck, etc. And don't tell her no while she's doing that. Let her lick them clean and or eat a blown out shoulder. Feed her a lot of deer meat. Put her in a few easy tracks with plenty of blood and wind in her face. Get a bell on a dedicated collar. She will flip shit when it comes out & knows it's time to work.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Step 1, get the dog off the damn table.