Thread: Advice on joint meds

Default Advice on joint meds

My chessie is now just over 9 years old and has had joint issues all of her life. To make a long story short, her pedigree was lied about and she ended up have hip dysplasia and double TPLO surgery in hear rear legs when she was just over 1. We had dog insurance and she went through a long physical therapy process and for a few years she was doing great. Amazing upland dog and a stubborn but explosive duck dog. I retired her very early because even though she would wake up before me in the mornings, when we got home her legs were killing her.

I had her on Cosequin shots for the longest time while in physical therapy, which did seem to help. After that year, they wanted me to switch over to Remidyl pills and I did that for a while which helped as well. But once I stopped hunting her as much her legs seemed to be doing a lot better since she was more of a house dog at that point. I gave her the Remidyl on and off during seasons, but did not continue on the off season since I was more worried about the long term side effects and she wasn't getting the stress like she was when she was hunting. She has since been retired and off everything, but now she is 9 and I need to get her back on something.

I can get back on the shots if that is the best course of action. yes she is older but I am still worried about a medication that might have worse side effects for her. I have been to the doctors and they tell me she is old and just to give her generic glucosamine pills. Seems like a half ass recommendation so I thought this might be a better place to get real experience recommendations. I havent looked at this stuff in years so I am not sure what is new out there. I have read about CBD / Hemp, but not sure how reliable that is. Glucosamine looks like more of a "preventative" medication. I used to take glucosamine and msm for my knees and never really did anything. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

thank you in advance
    Last edited by duckz; 02-18-2021 at 11:01 AM.

If dogs can take bone broth collagen safely, give it to her. Ask your vet if it would cause GI issues, etc, first of course.

My shoulder pain [torn RC, torn biceps tendon, bad arthritis] was reduced to the extent lifting weights and playing guitar no longer required icing or tylenol/ibuprofen. Turns out my wife had been giving me bone broth collagen in the protein smoothies for two months without me knowing. Couldn't be the placebo effect; I didn't know she was giving it to me.

Have you ask your vet about Dasequan(sp)?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Have you ask your vet about Dasequan(sp)?
    You can buy that stuff online. It works well, along with some CBD
    Windows Down!

I've heard to give a daily dose of glucosamine. It comes in a quarter-sized chewable.

Talk to your Vet about giving you a prescription for Equine (liquid) ADEQUAN. Get yourself some syringes and needles (only need 6-8) and give the shots yourself. My Vet used to charge $40 per shot, and we gave them ourselves to three dogs with hip problems over the past 20+ years for about $50 each total, depending on the price of the prescription.

Our Vet always told us to use the liquid equine version vs the canine tablets as the injection goes right into the muscle near the joint and isn't diluted in the intestines. The point being is that we typically saw an improvement between the 4th and 8th treatment, and they lasted upwards of 2-1/2 - 3 years before we needed to do another series (if the dog was still alive given their ages).

I see where they now have an injectable Canine version
    . I don't know if that would be any better than the Equine version we've used other than you probably wouldn't have to adjust the ratio or volume down like we did.

https://www.vetinfo.com/treating-dog...njections.html
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-18-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

thanks guys, I just realized I have a check up due in a few weeks for yearly shots. I will look into these meds and bring them up with the vet. I dont mind doing the shots as I have in the past, its more of which brand to use with her specific problems and age. I have used bone broth and cbd for myself, never really could tell anything. I absolutely appreciate the advice, I just think that she is past that stage and needs something with a little more power.

My wife even bought her a set of those stairs to help get into the bed at night. You can tell she is a chessie, stubborn old woman wont even try to use them and makes me lift her up sometimes.

Which pet insurance group are you using? I also did double TPLO surgeries with my lab. and now have Healthy paws on the chessie.

Once she turned into a house dog I cancelled the insurance. I could remember the name if you said it, but i don't know off hand. They paid for both surgeries and one year of weekly physical therapy; some red light therapy , water therapy and everything else. I can say that I made out on that plan. They had her running hard for years ,but shes just older now.

Dasuquin really helped my 6.5yo lab. He was starting to take a few seconds to get up off his bed. It took about a month but I noticed a huge difference.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler