Thread: Any experts or Damn good fly (or any) fishermen on here that fish Wyoming often?

Default Any experts or Damn good fly (or any) fishermen on here that fish Wyoming often?

I’ve been stuck in a 30 minute radius of my town for nearly all of 3 years. When I have been off, I’ve been doing stuff other than fishing. I’m about to have plenty of fishing time, and my dad is coming out soon. We will be driving from SE WY to Tetons, Yellowstone then back. Looking for some input on where to/how to catch some fish on the trip...catch it dad is 83 and can’t be wading and rock hopping. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I’m a pond bass fishing topwater chunker...this fishing is absolutely foreign to me.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Get a guide, do a float trip.

Yep...
    At least I'm housebroken.

Find a reputable outfitter/guide to do a trip with. Discuss your mobility requirements ahead of time and see what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Get a guide, do a float trip.
    This.

Float trip is by far the best option, and overall the best way to trout fish period in my opinion. There are also some lakes around the Tetons that fish very well especially in the early summer. Remember that most river and creeks will be blown out and unfishable in the late spring and early summer with the snow melt. Not sure when you’re planning on going but mid summer to fall is the best time overall
    More Ducks, Less People

You are around Torrington aren’t you?
    Go up to Casper and fish the Platte. Book a trip with Wyoming Anglers. Fished with them a couple summers ago and had a great time. Won’t be quite as crowded as the Snake and stuff around the park.
    cut\'em

Float the Snake. Easy and beautiful.
    Carolina Counsel

Get a guide on the Snake below Palisades in Idaho , not too far from Jackson and the Tetons. Make it part of the road trip loop.

Go to the Orvis store in Jackson hole and ask to speak to Clairey. Tell her you from SC and I sent you. She’ll hook yall up.
    Windows Down!

What Tsigmon said is a beautiful option with great fishing. There is a canyon section in there that’s about 25 miles and some companies do overnights (check out Worldcast in Victor, ID) Bout as pretty of a river as you can float.
    More Ducks, Less People

Also if you’re a “pond bass topwater chucker” you’ll enjoy trout fishing out there in the summer. You’ll mostly be throwing big foam bug patterns hoppers, stoneflies, salmonflies etc. The flies look like something a bass or bream would eat here, and the takes are awesome. None of the NC number 22 midges BS.
    Last edited by scquackaddict; 02-18-2021 at 07:54 AM.
    More Ducks, Less People

world cast in jackson

Thanks. I’ll look into working in a snake float trip as we will be right there...going in early-mid June. They are going to stay for a bit after the trip up north state, so I’ll look at booking a float trip on the Platte also. The Irvis store intimidated the ever living piss out of me when I went in two years ago. They were speaking an entirely different language...yet all English...and I dodnt even know what to ask! Curious how I still had the urge to spend more money in there than I even make!

My dad has an affliction that makes him buy the most top of the line fishing gear possible for everything ranging from ultra lite spinning rigs to fly rod and reel rigs to Wicked Tuna rigs...this despite his fishing the OBX 3 times and never trying to catch a trout in his life. His explanation: “Well, I’m ready if the opportunity presents itself.” So, I have gear, but it’s like someone walking onto the CC golf course with a pro-bag and a set of hand forged irons and proceeding to shoot a solid 140. I am looking forward to add fish back into our wild game diet.

Thanks again for the advice.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Coworker went to Jackson hole last summer and wore the trout out fishing areas recommended by local fly shops. It was a family vacation and took his fly gear to slip away here and there. He didn’t spend a lot of time fishing but didn’t find it very hard to get on some decent fish anywhere he went. I’d save the money on a guide and do a little research. You definitely can’t go wrong with a guide though and never hurts to boost the local small businesses when you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the fly fishing shop in Moose Junction. It's a little bit north of Jackson Hole. Guy working there will tell you where the fish are biting and what to use. We went several years ago in late July and wore their ass out. No guides are necessary. Hated to leave.

Snake river angler. Rip is who you want to fish with. Tell him what you want to catch fish and you will not be disappointed. (307) 690-9114
    Last edited by Birdfinder; 02-21-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    Plant it they will come.

Float trip on the Bighorn for BIG browns. Check out Jacklins or Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone. I don't think they can help you with the Bighorn, but they will hook you up in the Yellowstone, Madison, Galatin etc.
    Last edited by mjiorle; 02-23-2021 at 01:52 PM.