Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Covey!

Default Wild Covey!

Figured some of you would enjoy seeing this...hopefully the link works. First one I’ve been able to get on video in awhile!

ETA: Saw them in the road on my way to the house they flushed into a stand of very young longleaf. So I went to the house and got the dog to see what she would do. She pointed them about 30 yards out and we made our way around a briar patch to them. She pointed again for a split second before they flushed. She used to those tennis racquet quail! She’s never been able to figure out the wild birds and in her youth she was around wild quail almost everyday.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLXwZ8Zh...d=m3x66g5b15qd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quackhead22; 02-16-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Thats outstanding...

Sweeeeeet!!

Very cool.

Not much is better than that when it comes to hunting

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Without question!! As a wildlife manager the reward is just seeing the dang things! Which seems to be getting more frequent. I thoroughly enjoy seeing folks shoot a few wild birds!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

That brings back the best memories, thanks

I haven’t heard those wing beats in a long time.

Any bird hunter should feel his heart race watching that. Well done.

I have a very special quail hunt scheduled for December. Arizona. Three subspecies. Can't wait.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I’ve been seeing a couple wild coveys pretty regular here recently.

A big covey of 20 or so birds hanging around the edge of a field, and a smaller covey of 8-10 in a patch of hardwoods that border a clearcut
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

hbd, dc
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Awesome. We have several coveys at the BBMSC. We have quail feeders set up and a few strips of Lespedeza and Vetch that we have planted for years. Cool to watch. We won't be shooting them. When I was a young man, I took for granted the great bird hunting I was privileged to enjoy.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Just flashed back 40 years, thanks to you! That's beautiful..........
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Awesome. We have several coveys at the BBMSC. We have quail feeders set up and a few strips of Lespedeza and Vetch that we have planted for years. Cool to watch. We won't be shooting them. When I was a young man, I took for granted the great bird hunting I was privileged to enjoy.

If I remember correctly, and you may already know this but ragweed is really good for quail, but very expensive to plant
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    If I remember correctly, and you may already know this but ragweed is really good for quail, but very expensive to plant
    Yes that is correct. However some winter time discing will promote natural forbs and legumes which will provide great food and cover for quail in the spring and summer. And it is much cheaper! A little fire and a little soil disturbance go a long way in the quail management world!

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    .....or eating.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    We have a qracious plenty of that. We are going to plant some sorghum strips ( if we can keep the deer out of it).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I had 2 different 15+ bird coveys on corn pile trailcams this year (20 miles apart) and saw one from the stand. A friend's friend said they flushed 60+ in an afternoon of working dogs a few months back. Hopefully their numbers are on the mend.

Never gets old. Good stuff.