Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Chukar and Sage Grouse

Default Wyoming Chukar and Sage Grouse

So this is on my bucket list. My best guess is I’m 2-3 years out from making it happen, baby due in May so this year isn’t gonna happen. I’d also like to have another dog for the trip, so I’m thinking a new puppy sometime in the next year as well.

I know we have a few guys here that have done some chukar hunting. I’m looking for advice of any kind on the subject, if you’ve done it in Wyoming, even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I have not been but chukar over my dog is a bucket list bird.
    I saw my first chukar this past year in WA but didn't get a shot on any.

My plan is on a similar timeline, my pup will be 5 in 3 years.
    Last edited by scdiver; 02-16-2021 at 09:37 PM.

You walk a lot , the dogs point em and you shoot em. That’s straight from the professional bird hunter I know, he’s a smart ass. Go early in the season while there dumb is a pro tip I learned.

Looking at the season it seems that September 15th you can kill 4 species of upland birds also.

Good luck! Wyoming is the place for Sage grouse.
    Here our Sage grouse season is not when other birds are open.
    I routinely hunt Idaho and Oregon for upland birds.
    2 hunts a year minimum. 3 day hunts.
    Without exaggeration, a Chukar hunt is more arduous than most western big game hunts.
    Limit is 8 in most states. Getting 2 chukar is easy. Problem is you have to keep walking to get 4-6 covey flushes.

I have zero problems admitting it’s been years since I’ve killed a limit of chukar. Best last year was 5 chukar, 2 Huns and 4 quail in a full day.
    I spent 2 days in late January in prime country and shot 2 chukar. 11 miles over 2 days. I called that a fun/win hunt.

With all that said. Good luck and follow your dreams. Just realize going into it. 1 flush is a win. It is not high volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I got a dog and willing to travel
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

This was my only experience. All of these were in the same half mile stretch. I was just over the border in Montana.74415990-E4D0-4316-9C0A-913CD208633D.jpg

There is good chukar hunting in the stansbury mountains in Utah as well. Grouse hunting can be done while you elk hunt. A dog isn't necessary.

The only thing I think I know about sage grouse out here is that you can find and kill them in the SE counties of the state. I've heard this from my taxidermist buddy and from watching the MeatEater episode where they killed some on public near Saratoga. If you find some ground that has them in the eastern counties that border Nebraska and SD, make sure you "apply or buy" the general sandhill crane license...which is free...because you will be able to kill 3/day during your trip, and you will likely get plenty of opportunities to shoot 3/day.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    There is good chukar hunting in the stansbury mountains in Utah as well. Grouse hunting can be done while you elk hunt. A dog isn't necessary.
    Been looking for a reason to come visit, now we have to figure out when.

Great photo Jay.

Idaho along the Snake river is the best Chukar hunting I have done. Your lungs and quads are gonna burn.

Hells Canyon area of ID, WA and Oregon has real good hunting as not many folks are interested in that level of exercise for a bird.

Sprigdog is correct about Chukar . They live in some rugged habitat. Walking ridgelines and rim rock, and if you find some feeding in a relatively flat area, maximize your opportunity. They run uphill to escape danger and will flush downhill if forced to . Sporty shooting for sure. The remarkable scenery out there is a bonus.

Visor Guy ain't gonna like Chukar hunting if he tries it. He ain't got the boots for that either.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I was watching a video on Hell's Canyon chukar hunting yesterday. The fella got into some hun's, too, and that really piqued my interest. But I want to get a sage grouse sooner than later so I'm thinking Wyoming is my best bet. Montana is definitely not off my list either. One hunt like Jay right there and I would be walking on clouds all the way back to SC.

Half the appeal of Chukar hunting to me is the difficult terrain. I may be wrong, but I believe I have read that chukar are typically found in lower elevations in Wyoming than Idaho/Utah/WA, so that might be in my favor.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 02-17-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I was watching a video on Hell's Canyon chukar hunting yesterday. The fella got into some hun's, too, and that really piqued my interest. But I want to get a sage grouse sooner than later so I'm thinking Wyoming is my best bet. Montana is definitely not off my list either. One hunt like Jay right there and I would be walking on clouds all the way back to SC.

Half the appeal of Chukar hunting to me is the difficult terrain. I may be wrong, but I believe I have read that chukar are typically found in lower elevations in Wyoming than Idaho/Utah/WA, so that might be in my favor.
    I know of no one that has ever killed a chukar over 6500’ elevation. Not saying they aren’t over 6500’ but....
    Chukar are very cyclical. Our hatch has sucked the last few years. Late May rains are killer. It gets tough killing birds when there isn’t much of a hatch and you’re hunting 2 year old birds.
    Here’s one of my favorite pictures of all times. I believe it was from 2013. The hatch was absolutely incredible. My go to spot has Huns, Chukar and quail in the same canyons. We absolutely smashed the birds this trip. Killed a couple decent bucks as well and found a matching set of shed horns!
    A34909EE-C125-49FC-BFBA-37311E40196B.jpg
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Looks like you killed the damn dog as well! LOL
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    I know of no one that has ever killed a chukar over 6500’ elevation. Not saying they aren’t over 6500’ but....
    Chukar are very cyclical. Our hatch has sucked the last few years. Late May rains are killer. It gets tough killing birds when there isn’t much of a hatch and you’re hunting 2 year old birds.
    Here’s one of my favorite pictures of all times. I believe it was from 2013. The hatch was absolutely incredible. My go to spot has Huns, Chukar and quail in the same canyons. We absolutely smashed the birds this trip. Killed a couple decent bucks as well and found a matching set of shed horns!
    Awesome photo.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That Grey and Black spaniel looks wore slap out too.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I saw the California plates and the terrain looked familiar. Is that near the hills close to Owens lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutm jack View Post
    I saw the California plates and the terrain looked familiar. Is that near the hills close to Owens lake?

Yep. Right next to it

Yep. Right next to it
    I thought so. My best buddy growing up lived in Olancha and we killed a pile of chukar out that way. Duck hunting on the Owens river was surprisingly good as well.

how'd you get so much uglier so quickly?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.