Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer stand build

Default Deer stand build

Got 2 or 3 places on the home land where I want to put permanent style box stands to keep the boys comfortable and quiet. Figured with the rainy weekend it would be a good time to keep the boys out of the house and busy. 4x8 platform with elevator brackets. On day 2 now and my 6yo can start and drive a 3 1/2 screw on his own with an impact driver. Very very proud.

1BFD87AC-DB84-4FDB-934F-CE0A8B325F84.jpg
    DACF3C69-9FB4-4DE7-B5B7-F4F755B7C988.jpg
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

That’s a great idea putting castors on while you’re framing it. Mental note.

Looks good. Do you plan to “pre-fab”, then disassemble, and rebuild at your stand site? Those elevators are the ticket. Keep us posted up to the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    Looks good. Do you plan to “pre-fab”, then disassemble, and rebuild at your stand site? Those elevators are the ticket. Keep us posted up to the finished product.
    I've got a big tractor I hope to lift it with, if that doesn't do the trick I have a small gradall I can bring over from the shop. My plans are to build in place. Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    That’s a great idea putting castors on while you’re framing it. Mental note.
    Thank you. I hope to work on my ceiling on that outdoor space soon and I'd like to be able to move it around. Pro tip, I had the legs at 14 inches long but whenever I climbed up on the platform with the boys to lift up the first wall it did a giant split and pulled the band joists apart (which I only had nails in). I had to pull the little legs out and beat the bands back together and out some 6" screws in then cut the legs off a little shorter so there would be so much pressure. Just goes to show you how much the X bracing on the legs are
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 02-15-2021 at 11:46 PM.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Looks great. I have built many at home and then assembled on site. The real trick is building a modular roof system.

The last pic will be the roof, with the pit liner screwed down it will probably weigh around 80 lbs. my son wants to install satellite tv,
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Nice I plan on insulating mine. I just hope I can pick it up when I'm done.

The last one I built was a bit smaller but took a small army to stand up. This is the first I have done this way. Easy 2 msn job. We should finish up tomorrow evening.

That's your son I'm assuming?

It's amazing how much kids are willing to help if you will just let them. I am a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this and it's hard to let someone else help.

The four year old is too busy making ramps out of all the scrap pieces and placing remote control cars under my feet.
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 02-16-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Yeah, that’s him. He just graduated college, and he is a hard worker and a lot smarter than me. He has taken every good thing I ever taught him and improved on it. He has always been a big help to us.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Yeah, that’s him. He just graduated college, and he is a hard worker and a lot smarter than me. He has taken every good thing I ever taught him and improved on it. He has always been a big help to us.
    That's great. My dad and I are too much alike yet so different we can't work side by side hands on. He would have done snatched the saw out of my hands and told me to go inside 10 different times and had this thing built in one night. That's being said when I finish something he is always amazed and so proud. We just learn to stay out of each other's way

This is good stuff. Making Memories...

How far off the floor is your window sill?

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    How far off the floor is your window sill?
    40"

JJ1965 that is a nice looking spot with a good long view. Until those pines get up anyway. I hope my boys will fall in line like yours has.

I have a good shooting lane and a wildlife opening even after they grow up. This will be a long term spot.

6AC534A6-8E1F-404F-8394-E016D3DB7492.jpg
    C974C470-06E0-4917-96E6-A27ACBF2E0E8.jpg

Roof on, everything finished but housekeeping issues.

I built one this year and the only thing I wish I would have done different is lower the windows. It is perfect for me but my kids have a hard time getting steady because of the height.