Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast iron pans

Have not read the whole thread but I acquired some old pans that were in horrible shape with rust, an old man told me to put them in the hottest fire I could get and keep piling on the wood and make lots of coals. Let them sit over night till the coals were turned to ash and I had no more rust and after a good washing I seasoned them with olive oil in the oven. Still using these pans after 15 years. That was a really good night with a bon fire and cold beer.

Olive Oil? I bet that smoked your ass out the house

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone17311 View Post
    Have not read the whole thread but I acquired some old pans that were in horrible shape with rust, an old man told me to put them in the hottest fire I could get and keep piling on the wood and make lots of coals. Let them sit over night till the coals were turned to ash and I had no more rust and after a good washing I seasoned them with olive oil in the oven. Still using these pans after 15 years. That was a really good night with a bon fire and cold beer.
    I do the same. Usually in the wood stove in the winter time when I get my hands on one that needs help.

A good hot overnight fire is all you need.

I quick hit with chain mail the next morning. Then, I wipe with lard and heat to smoking on the stove. I let cool, wipe with lard and place in the oven at 450. I let it sit for about 5min and cut the oven off. When I pull it out the next day, she's good to go.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

You play futbol and Dungeons &Dragons??

So sorry....
    Last edited by FishSticker; 02-17-2021 at 01:25 PM.

It ain't a big enough piece to wear, ya gypsy.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

my wife and I like to play dress up sometimes. Keeps it interesting.

"This doesn't involve me dressing up as Little Bo Peep, does it?"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

my wife and I like to play dress up sometimes. Keeps it interesting.

"This doesn't involve me dressing up as Little Bo Peep, does it?"
    You got the wrong gal, fella....

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    Olive Oil? I bet that smoked your ass out the house
    Just do it over a good hot grill after you rare up a few steaks. Wipe clean and put it away.

Put pan in the oven upside down. Turn on the oven cleaning mode. Pull out the pan when the cycle is done.

The rust and crap will come off with mild scrubbing with a brush. Very little elbow grease needed.

I would avoid using caustic, toxic chemicals on a pan I was going to cook food in.

I season my cast iron with grapeseed oil. That is all.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I have seen a lot of videos by cast iron aficionados that grind and polish their cast iron to a mirror finish.

I have bought a lodge before that the cooking surface was as rough as 120 grit sand paper. Seems they're cast molded in sand and the mold breaks down over time. No personal knowledge of it, just what I read.

Makes sense to polish it out before you season.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 02-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I have seen a lot of videos by cast iron aficionados that grind and polish their cast iron to a mirror finish.

I have bought a lodge before that the cooking surface was as rough as 120 grit sand paper. Seems they're cast molded in sand and the mold breaks down over time. No personal knowledge of it, just what I read.

I have a flat Lodge griddle type skillet that I sanded to slick as a whistle and re-seasoned. It's a great little tool. But, the only reason that I have it is because Field Company doesn't make one...yet.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 02-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

Lodge swears by their rough surface. They say it grabs seasoning better. They advertise it as preseasoned and ready to cook.

A new lodge cooks better than an unseasoned slick cast iron pan but pales in comparison to a vintage pan with a good season. I use a #12 Lodge but that only because I dont feel like paying $100-$200 for a Wagner or griswold. I’ll eventually find one reasonable and the lodge will get rotated out.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

If lodge swears by it, they're smoking some funny shit.

I'm sure it works great if you're frying something. Frying eggs in one of those will create a permanent eye twitch.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Cheaper non stick pan, you can use soap on it, don't have to take care of it either.. and just slide it back into a hidden drawer in your kitchen. I buy one a year, I think my new one is European..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Cheaper non stick pan, you can use soap on it, don't have to take care of it either.. and just slide it back into a hidden drawer in your kitchen. I buy one a year, I think my new one is European..
    I'm with you. Never understood the fascination of cast iron frying pans.