Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cast iron pans

#justaskglenn

Ouch.

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Cheaper non stick pan, you can use soap on it, don't have to take care of it either.. and just slide it back into a hidden drawer in your kitchen. I buy one a year, I think my new one is European..
    Blasphemy!
    I thought I knew you....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 08-31-2023 at 06:55 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Otter 1200 View Post
    FIL bought an old house built in the 40’s right before he passed away in 2016 (you can tell house was built during WWII, basement has 12”+ concrete walls-bomb shelter) People that owned it left everything as part of the deal, I helped clean it out after he passed away. Along with a ton of other old crap was a pretty good lot of Cast iron pans. No one had lived in the house in 5+ years and they were in bad shape. I started cleaning the 1st one this week-just to see how bad it would be, surprising is the pans only have sizes and numbers, no MFG information. Anyway, Been studying/reading as much as I can about reconditioning them. Cleaned the first one over the last few days and started re-seasoning tonight, not sure they are worth saving after the work in this 1st one. Any of you guys have a good simple method? I went with oven cleaner, sanding, oven cleaner, sanding, etc. Seasoning is oil coating, 450 for 30 minutes, repeat, 4 times.
    Are They Griswald or Wagner?..............two of the best cast iron fly pans ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Actually, contrary to popular belief, bacon is not good for “new seasoning”. Sure it does good in a well seasoned pan but it’s to acidic for new season and will break it down...likely spot stripping the pan.

The best thing to cook several times in a newly seasoned pan is fatty hamburger meet and onions.

Yep the nitrates in bacon can cause rusting.

Cheaper non stick pan, you can use soap on it, don't have to take care of it either.. and just slide it back into a hidden drawer in your kitchen. I buy one a year, I think my new one is European..
    I treat my cast iron like you treat your nonstick. They go in the sink when I’m done cooking.

There is nothing wrong with washing cast iron. Wash and dry maybe a touch of oil if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I treat my cast iron like you treat your nonstick. They go in the sink when I’m done cooking.
    oh, I have kids that cook... I keep a non stick. There ain't no shame in me. I use my cast iron for certain dishes, food that'll benefit from it. I'm not breaking it out just for the shit of it.

Saw this video yesterday. This may work.

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatnooowaaa...80469063732485

I have finally gotten my wife trained on how to care for cast iron.
    She's doing about an 8.0 but still learning.
    I have Smithey and I have my great grandmothers pans and I love em all!
    Pretty much the only pans we use these days.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by HT View Post
    Saw this video yesterday. This may work.

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatnooowaaa...80469063732485
    im not eating out of a pan that came out of that
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud