Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kit Gun

I'm a huge Smith & Wesson fan...

That having been said, I haven't heard a lot of positives about the 317. Trigger press is heavy, accuracy not remarkable (although it's not really a super requirement for a kit gun). And they are high as hell.

I'd seriously consider a Ruger LCR series gun. For a fishing gun, a polymer frame can be advantageous - keep it light, one less thing to rust.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Fine shooting revolvers.
    FF0338D4-8215-4086-A113-38E8F385C952.jpg

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I'm a huge Smith & Wesson fan...

That having been said, I haven't heard a lot of positives about the 317. Trigger press is heavy, accuracy not remarkable (although it's not really a super requirement for a kit gun). And they are high as hell.

I'd seriously consider a Ruger LCR series gun. For a fishing gun, a polymer frame can be advantageous - keep it light, one less thing to rust.
    Thanks for weighing in on the 317. It looked like the perfect fit.

I'm pretty stuck on an older double action. I think it's between a 43 and a 63 right now.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Hmmm. That's another can of worms entirely.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Indeed. I am not enough of a gun guy to pick up on the differences. I need pictures like a kid to follow these discussions...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed. I am not enough of a gun guy to pick up on the differences. I need pictures like a kid to follow these discussions...
    They're all pretty much variations on the same theme. A 4" lightweight 22 revolver that look something like these.

I get lost in the duck boat discussions, so I know the feeling.

Last edited by Mobetter; 02-13-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Taurus makes an 8 shot 22 revolver that is reasonably affordable- Rossi made one also- they have been bought out by Taurus- I have never owned one but have shot them. They shot fine.

Go with the 63 if you want a S&W. Ruger LCR-X would be worthwhile also. The 43 and 317 aren't heavy enough if that makes any sense for accuracy. Also the finish sucks.

Charter Arms Pathfinder may be worth a look as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I’ve owned a couple heritages and a Ruger wrangler hoping that they would satisfy my rimfire single action itch, they didn’t.
    Nothing was wrong with any of them but hold a heritage and a Ruger single six side by side and there are undeniable differences in quality. Found a single six lr/mag combo back in October at a good deal and been very happy with it
    I have a Colt Frontier that I love to shoot. I held it and the Heritage I sold on here a few days ago side by side and it was like I broke the toilet paper when I held the Heritage.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I like my single six. It’s pretty accurate too.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler