Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Surfcasting

Default South Carolina Surfcasting

Hello to All,

I am new to this forum and hope to learn a lot about saltwater fishing.

I lived in Ft. Walton Beach Florida back in the 70s and 80s. I did some surf fishing along with pier fishing, bridge fishing, flounder fishing from a small boat at night along the Choctawhatchee Bay, and spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico out from the Destin Florida. Harbor. My career moved me around the county a lot over the years. I recently retired and moved to Myrtle Beach back in December 2020. I have not found a home yet, but in the mean time I want to get ready to get back into fishing once more.

I am out of touch with today’s fishing equipment. I have been reviewing rods and reels use by individuals on YouTube with out gaining much confidence. I write down the different names of the equipment and then do a google search and request reviews. Again, I am confused on which manufacturer and model to purchase. All models seem to have 5 stars all the way down to 1 star. Making a choice so confusing!

I have about $200.00 budget to spend on a rod and reel. I like open reels and I think I need a 10 to 11 foot rod. From what I am seeing on YouTube I should use 30# line along with a 2-3 oz spider weight. My style is surf-casting with sand fleas, cut bait, etc. I then sit and wait for a hit. The rest is well known by all.

Once the weather warms I plan on walking the beach to watch others fishing and noting their gear and technique. My problem is I don’t know where to go within the 50 miles radius of Myrtle Beach. Do I park in a parking lot with beach access, drive on the beach (where is there an access) or park and walk a distance to the beach?

I am trying to learn how to read the weather and tide for the best time to fish. I have learn from YouTube on where to look on the beaches for good fishing spots (cuts, troughs breaking waves and sand bars).

Last good thing to know is where are the good bait shops? Live bait is always a good thing to have in the arsenal.

In Florida fish saltwater did not require a fishing license. I am being told that South Carolina may require one. I also need to pick up a copy of the regulations of the size, limit and allowed species.

If there is anything else I need to know please pas anything my way. I hope to meet you all soon.

Tim Kelly

Hi, Tim. Welcome. 2thDoc is your guru, but he won't check back in until Monday. You may want to use the private message function to contact him, or maybe someone will send you his cell number. Thanks, and welcome again.

I've got his office number if you need it Tim...

X2

His email is toothprick@openwide.com

Sunny Ledford is a surf fishing guide down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltfisher View Post
    Last good thing to know is where are the good bait shops? Live bait is always a good thing to have in the arsenal.

Tim Kelly
    Welcome Tim, check out Backlash Baits. Ask for the glitter bomb Sportin Woodies, Sunny Ledford, or Salma Hayek artificial. Also be sure to enter to win HEADs free waterfowl taxidermy drawing before it ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Saw this on FB. This guy was killing them at PI

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    Sunny Ledford is a surf fishing guide down there.
    Sunny ledford for MB.

Todd Ledford for hunting.

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red worms or minners with a slip cork.

Salt Fisher, if you are able to deliver just take 2th doc his weights, line and hooks wrapped in a Wal Mart bag. Take it to his office early on a Monday and you are guaranteed to get some inshore pointers. Throw in some pliers for stingray removal since you are new to this. Hope this helps!

I love this place!

Surf fishing can be good, doesn't require fancy gear but it does make it nice to be able to get above the waves.

Cut mullet. Check out Perry's, Baisch Brothers in MI.

$200 budget get a penn surf cast combo and go to work

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    You may want to use the private message function to contact him, or maybe someone will send you his cell number. Thanks, and welcome again.
    Bwahhhh....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Thanks Hunter!!

Don't over think it. SC beaches normally don't have a clearly defined bar which is what I try to fish. Learn to read the water by watching the waves break. Try to find little troughs or sand bars to fish around. Don't go all crazy trying to throw out as far as you possibly can. I've caught plenty of big fish up close to the beach.

And whatever your rod/reel budget is, put back enough for a good cast net if you don't have one. Normally whatever kind of bait that is running is what they're eating.
    Last edited by Drakey; 02-12-2021 at 08:29 AM.

You don't need to cast beyond the breakers unless you like to catch shark and sting rays. Channel Bass will come into shin deep water to eat. And Drakey is right. Get a cast net and catch your own bait.
    DILLIGAF

Where pools on the beach drain back into the ocean when tide is dropping, toss it right in there knee deep or so. Many people flinging it 70 yds out are throwing over the fish. Walk beach at low tide to look for bars just off the beach. You do need a saltwater stamp at least and I think also state fishing lic. Double check regs but saltwater stamp is a definite.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Toothdoc is a surf fishing SOB and has a loaner program for new anglers for gear until you decide what you like. Shoot him a pm and he can get you started.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton