Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starlink Internet

They sent him an email, he just hasn’t gotten it yet.

[QUOTE=Cooney;2906358]
    Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I went ahead and sent a deposit. It can't be any worse than what I have now.....[/QUOT

Did you check on Carolina Connect fiber? I think they're getting close to starting hook ups in your hood.
    We're with Dominion unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

To the folks that have Starlink, I have a question or two. I paid my $99 this week and am now just waiting. How does Starlink handle vpn? I’ve heard mixed reviews. For instance, I work from home in York County, our firewall and router are in Waynesboro, VA. Has anyone seen latency issues in situations like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

SpaceX: Chip shortage is impacting “our ability to fulfill” Starlink orders
    Starlink exits beta, but "silicon shortages have delayed production."

JON BRODKIN - 11/1/2021, 12:37 PM

If you ordered Starlink broadband service and don't receive your "Dishy McFlatface" satellite dish any time soon, the global chip shortage may be one reason why.

"Silicon shortages have delayed production which has impacted our ability to fulfill orders. Please visit your Account page for the most recent estimate on when you can expect your order to be fulfilled," SpaceX said in an FAQ on the Starlink support website. The language was added to the Starlink website on Thursday night, according to a PCMag article.

Starlink has apparently just exited its beta status. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in September that it would emerge from beta in October, and the word "beta" was deleted from descriptions on the Starlink homepage late last week. The website was also updated to advertise "download speeds between 100Mbps and 200Mbps and latency as low as 20ms in most locations," an improvement over the previously stated "50Mbps to 150Mbps and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations."

But the move from beta to general availability doesn't necessarily coincide with widespread availability. PCMag also pointed out that expected shipment times for Starlink have been pushed to late 2022 or early 2023 in additional parts of the US. The Starlink website reports expected service times of "early to mid 2022" in other areas.

"My account still says mid to late 2021 for me but I went to the home page and put my address in as if I were to order again and it now says late 2022 there," one Reddit user wrote on the Starlink subreddit last week.

Satellite capacity and demand were already big factors
    The chip shortage likely is not the reason that some areas have later coverage times than others, because that variance is explained by satellite capacity and demand in each region. Starlink is primarily intended for rural areas without good wired Internet access, and Musk has said several times that it won't be able to serve everyone in densely populated areas. Wait times can be pushed out if signups in any given area exceed the number of open slots.

"If you place your order where we have coverage and capacity, you will receive a confirmation email with your order number, service and shipping address, and can view your shipping details on your Account page. We typically ship Starlink Kits out within 2 weeks," the FAQ on the Starlink website says.

While that two-week timeline for completed orders sounds promising, you'll only be able to get service when there's both enough satellite capacity and an available user terminal that SpaceX can send you. We asked SpaceX for more detail on how the chip shortage is affecting wait times and will update this article if we get a response.

SpaceX was producing 5,000 terminals a week
    In early September, SpaceX CFO Bret Johnsen said the company was producing about 5,000 user terminals a week and that production would increase to "multiples of that" within the next few months, according to SpaceNews. Given SpaceX's newer statement on the chip shortage, it isn't clear what the current production rate is for new user terminals.

Musk seems confident that the chip shortage will be solved, saying it is a "short-term" problem. "There's a lot of chip fabrication plants that are being built and I think we will have good capacity by next year," Musk said at a tech event, according to a CNBC article on September 24.

In May, Musk said that SpaceX had received over 500,000 Starlink orders and that SpaceX would "most likely" be able to fulfill all of them. "Only limitation is high density of users in urban areas," he wrote in a tweet at the time. "Most likely, all of the initial 500k will receive service. More of a challenge when we get into the several million user range."

If the chip shortage doesn't dramatically curtail satellite-dish production for an extended time, Starlink's rapid pace of satellite launches should eventually make it easier to get service. "If you are placing an order in an area where we don't have coverage or capacity, you will see an estimated service date on the order page... Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis in each area," the Starlink FAQ says. "We will be able to accommodate more users per area over time as we increase the number of satellites in orbit."

https://arstechnica.com/information-...chip-shortage/

Any updates from those of you that already have this?
    For the ducks

They’ve still got my $100 deposit. Ordered on 9/7/21
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Ordered mine may of 2021, still haven’t got a update

Not a peep...

Ordered September 2021. Nothing yet. Neighbor ordered in 2020 and got his a few months ago. Absolutely loves it. I’ve gotten on his wife and it’s nice. Especially for folks like us that barely have enough signal in the house to make a call

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    I’ve gotten on his wife and it’s nice.
    Does he know about this?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Lol
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    I’ve gotten on his wife and it’s nice.

Damn brutha, I don't believe ida told dat in a public forum....

Been on the waitlist since Feb '21. Got an update in November saying chip shortages were slowing them down.

Supposed to meet Truvista tomorrow morning to turn on my fiber internet service, which they literally just brought down my road in the last couple of weeks. If tomorrow is successful i'll be cancelling my Starlink deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Does he know about this?
    Classic

Hahaha. I guess that’s what I get for not proofreading my posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Does he know about this?
    Good question. All he can say is no if he doesn't want to join their little passion play...

They just sent me an email saying they are ready for me- we will see how this goes.
    Hughes net and direct tv suck ass.

Starlink's New Premium Tier Goes Up to 500 Mbps, but It Costs a Fortune

The premium option is meant for businesses and rich people living in remote areas.

ByPhillip Tracy

Internet from low Earth orbit just got a lot faster—and even more expensive. SpaceX revealed today a new pricey, high-performance tier to its nascent Starlink satellite internet service.

Called Starlink Premium, the option promises to deliver speeds of between 150 and 500Mbps, an upgrade from the 50 to 250 Mbps advertised by the standard tier. Upload speeds are doubled and now reach 20 to 40Mbps. Latency, one of the major challenges for satellite internet, remains at an industry-leading 20 to 40 milliseconds, which isn’t too far off “terrestrial” broadband’s 12 ms to 37 ms range.

https://gizmodo.com/starlink-premium...ice-1848467953

“Starlink Premium has more than double the antenna capability of Starlink, delivering faster internet speeds and higher throughput for the highest demand users, including businesses,” the company’s website reads.

While these speed boosts, which are enabled by a larger high-performance antenna, are significant, most customers are likely to be turned off by the high cost. The standard Starlink internet service costs $499 for the cat-attracting dish plus $99 a month for the subscription, whereas the new Premium package raises the hardware price to $2,500 and the subscription to $500 a month. For comparison, AT&T just rolled out 2 gig and 5 gig fiber tiers for $110 and $180 a month, respectively.

At those prices, it’s no surprise that this new premium tier is mainly for “small offices, storefronts, and super users across the globe.” This suggests the Premium tier is meant for enterprise users or wealthy folks living in remote areas where a hardwired broadband link might not be available.

Along with faster upload and download speeds, the new Starlink tier will supposedly perform better in “extreme weather conditions,” and customers who shell out for the internet plan will receive 24/7 VIP support.

SpaceX is currently taking pre-orders for the Premium tier and expects to deliver the first units in the second quarter of this year. There is no word yet on a timeline for fulfilling those orders, but we should point out that SpaceX has faced backlash from customers of its basic tier after it was forced to push back delivery dates due to the ongoing chip storage. SpaceX sent a mass email to pre-order customers apologizing for the delay. Some orders originally slated to arrive in mid-to-late 2021 were pushed back to 2022.

Starlink, a branch of SpaceX, has launched around 2,000 Starlink satellites into low Earth orbit and is authorized by the FCC to launch around 12,000. The eventual goal will be to add 30,000 or so to that total and provide continuous global coverage with a focus on areas with limited connectivity. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said in August last year that Starlink has shipped 100,000 satellite terminals to customers across 14 countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    They just sent me an email saying they are ready for me- we will see how this goes.
    Hughes net and direct tv suck ass.
    Same here. Can't wait to get rid of blazing hogs 4G internet.

Real pricey. Guess I am lucky to get this where I live. 350/Mbps for 49.95 is what I pay a month and can get 700/Mbps for 69.95 but don't need it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"