Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starlink Internet

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    This is a game changer for rural living
    One of the cons: Titans of Wall Street might never leave now.
    DILLIGAF

Received confirmation email today that my order is ready. Located in Blythewood, cant wait to tell Viasat to kick rocks.

The fiber optic from the power company’s is the cats ass! I love it.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I’m sure it is if you can get it.

Just ordered! Thanks for posting an update Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Tank View Post
    Received confirmation email today that my order is ready. Located in Blythewood, cant wait to tell Viasat to kick rocks.
    Please do update us on how good or bad it works out for you...on the waitlist as well in Clemson area.

Does it work in storms or cloudy days?

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Does it work in storms or cloudy days?
    Starlink Dish Covered By Ice Performs Smoothly After 300Mbps Speed Test
    By Ramish Zafar
    Apr 24, 2021

A Starlink user terminal in the snow. Image: Steve Golson/YouTube

A Space Exploration Technology Corp. (SpaceX) Starlink user dish has managed to deliver consistent performance despite being covered in ice and with eight inches of snow in the area. Shared by a customer from Colorado, an image of the terminal shows it covered with icicles, with the user reporting that she did not experience any signal drops from the service. Despite high snow levels in the area, the performance remained consistent even as snow levels increased from four to eight inches.

Starlink Delivers Astounding Speed Test Results In Colorado
    In addition to sharing an image of her user terminal on social media, the user also shared Internet speed test scores for Starlink. These scores were taken before the user terminal, or DishyMcflatface, as SpaceX calls it, was covered in ice, as you'll see below. They are some of the highest scores for the service that we've come across, with the previous results showing 200Mbps in download speeds.

The latest results reveal that Starlink can achieve an astounding 300 Mbps in download speeds - at least as far as one user in Colorado is concerned. Since Starlink is in beta service levels, users have been reporting impressing Internet speeds. However, whether SpaceX will sustain these levels once the network is fully online is uncertain and will most likely depend on the number of users in a given area.

Details shared by SpaceX in November last year revealed that the user terminals can operate in temperatures as low as -30°C. Additionally, they also feature pre-built heaters inside them, which are capable of melting off snow in extreme weather conditions and since the dish itself is flat due to its use of phased-array antennas. snow or water does not accumulate in its center.

These features are a must-have for Starlink since SpaceX markets the service as targeting remote markets and areas which generally do not have mainstream land-based internet connectivity. Some of these regions are in the polar parts of the Earth, which often see high levels of snow. They include Alaska, which is currently the only region that is being served through laser-equipped Starlink satellites. These satellites, which SpaceX will introduce as part of its next generational satellite upgrade, remove the need for ground stations to connect the user terminals with Internet data centers.

STARLINK-DENVER-COLORADO-SPEED-TEST-APRIL-2021

A speed test conducted by the same user earlier revealed that Starlink can touch download speeds as fast as 300 Mbps. Image: Gloria D Koch/Twitter
    However, other tests conducted by the same user showed scores ranging between 60 Mbps and 185 Mbps despite this high score. Such fluctuations are not unexpected due to the limited number of satellites currently in orbit, as user terminals often have to wait for signals as a satellite passes overhead.

A download speed of 300 Mbps is more than ten times what SpaceX's competitors offer on average, according to data compiled by PCMag. This compilation, which gathered data in October last year, revealed that, on average, HughesNet delivers a download speed of 20 Mbps and Viasat delivers a speed of 25 Mbps.

One key differentiator for Starlink over its competitors is the use of low Earth orbit (LEO) satellites. These satellites operate in altitudes as low as 540 kilometers. As a result, they reduce the time it takes for them to communicate with the user terminals and ground stations. SpaceX also claims that the lower altitude helps with space safety, with its request to further lower some satellites currently pending before the Federal Communications Commission.

https://wccftech.com/starlink-dish-c...ps-speed-test/

That’s hot.

Update: I have had Starlink for two weeks now. Extremely easy to set up. Take it out of the box, give it a clear view of the sky, plug the router in and plug the dish in to the router. It spins around finds a satellite and within 10-20 min I had internet. Speeds have ranged from a high of 236 Mbps download and 86.7 Mbps upload to a low of 9.08 Mbps download to 8.28 Mbps upload. Averages in the 70-80 download and 20-30 upload.

I don't really know what all of that means, but what I do know is I have actual useable internet for the first time in 11 years. Can Stream all movies, shows, etc with out issue.

It has dropped out a couple times for 10 seconds or so but is back up as soon as it locks on to another satellite. Also did not work in Heavy Rain, light rain was ok.

I would and do recommend this to anyone that cannot get a hardwire to their house. Its only going to get better as more satellites are launched. I took great pleasure in tossing the Viasat dish off of the roof and canceling the service. Direct TV is next to go.

That is great to hear. Will be investing in this later this year in Blackstock. Tired of Direct TV and having to wear a tin foil hat to get cell service.

Thank you for the real life info. I hope to get mine soon. Keep us updated please, Sir!

Any updates on this?

Speed Tests Show Starlink Is Now Nearly As Fast As Broadband

ByFlorence Ion

Satellite internet is often the only choice for getting online if you live out in a rural area. But it’s not always the fastest or most stable internet connection.

Spock’s Famous Gesture Imagined Like Never Before in this Star Trek Time-Lapse
    SpaceX’s Starlink has made some headway recently with its fledgling satellite internet service. According to Ookla, the company behind one of the most widely used internet speed tests, Starlink’s internet speeds are faster worldwide than the leading alternative satellite offerings. The report comes just as Starlink marks 90,000 subscribers—20,000 of which were added in the last month alone.

Ookla compared Starlink against HughesNet and Viasat, as well as fixed broadband like cable and DSL. The tests showed that Starlink far outperformed the other two satellite companies in both upload and download tests, ranking almost as high as fixed broadband.

A chart showing upload and download speed differences between starlink, hughesnet, viasat, and fixed broadband

Ookla’s results chart show Starlink leading in both download and upload speeds compared to HughesNet and Viasat. Image: Ookla
    Ookla notes that Starlink was the only provider with a median latency that matched fixed broadband. A lower latency number is better, and it’s a number to watch if you’re planning on any voice and video chatting, gaming, or live streaming—all things you’d like to do no matter where you are. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has long claimed that one of Starlink’s significant advantages over traditional satellite internet is overall latency. The latest Ookla speed tests lend a bit of credence to that claim. The numbers are certainly promising.

Starlink currently has about 1,730 low-flying satellites in orbit. They hover closer to the earth’s surface than traditional satellites. They can deliver such capable speeds because it takes less time for the signal to travel back and forth. Conversely, Viasat and Hughesnet rely on high-flying “geosynchronous” orbits, wherein the satellite rotates along with the earth. This method helps deploy the connection across a broader global span without as many satellite units orbiting above, though the relative distance produces higher latency.

For folks living in rural areas, broadband internet is hard to come by. Satellite internet has long provided most of the infrastructure as it’s often the only choice, but it’s expensive and usually capped. Ookla’s tests showed that although Starlink’s performance varied between different counties within the same state, the lower-end speeds were well above the FCC’s baseline performance tier of at least 25 Mbps download speed (although that itself is a ridiculous standard in dire need of updating).

Ookla ran speed tests in other parts of the globe, including Canada, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and New Zealand. Starlink had the fastest download speeds in France and even managed to surpass local fixed broadband in Germany. You can read the full results on Ookla’s website.

Starlink also refreshed its mobile app this week, introducing a neat way to find clear patches of sky and monitor your connection in real time.

https://gizmodo.com/speed-tests-show...1847423674/amp

Whats the word? I'm about to order this and tell Enet Safari to fuck off.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

You will not be disappointed, we have been very happy with it and have had no issues.

I dont know a single person who dislikes it. They all are happy with the performance. Now for most the bar was set low bc they either had nothing, cell phone or slow DSL. From what I am seeing first hand its a game changer. This is why the federal government has been giving out all the cash the last 5 years to get internet out to rural areas so companies like this wont take market share...... Lobbyists do a hell of a job

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Whats the word? I'm about to order this and tell Enet Safari to fuck off.....
    I purchased/paid deposit 4/23/21 and still waiting. Hopefully it shows up sooner than later

I went ahead and sent a deposit. It can't be any worse than what I have now.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

[QUOTE=FEETDOWN;2906112]I went ahead and sent a deposit. It can't be any worse than what I have now.....[/QUOT

Did you check on Carolina Connect fiber? I think they're getting close to starting hook ups in your hood.