Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starlink Internet

Default Starlink Internet

They are finally taking preorders, (full orders about as far South as Virginia) .

As I understand it, the slots are going to be limited, so if you live in an area that can't get high speed internet, you might want to jump on it...

https://www.starlink.com/

Ordered, thank you. Said mid year for my area, rural Orangeburg County. They won't run it down my road, plus I'm 1700 ft off of the road so this looks like my best option. I'll keep you updated

Good deal. We ordered one last night to get service to a community area where even a cell signal is generally sketchy...

More competition the better. Power co-op in my area is running fiber. Supposed to be to me next year.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 02-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

All these local and larger power companies have been sucking down huge money from the taxpayer for years for services that they never provided. Can't wait to see that faucet turned off on their sorry asses. If I live next door to ATT, I would still switch to Star Link just because fuck ATT...

Will Space Force be used to shut down the starlink net when the time comes?

If Elon keeps making the government eggheads look like the bloated, ineffectual little fools that they are, all bets are off...

Ordered. We'll see if it pays off.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    If Elon keeps making the government eggheads look like the bloated, ineffectual little fools that they are, all bets are off...

I wonder how or if this would be available in places like China where the internet is supposedly censored to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    More competition the better. Power co-op in my area is running fiber. Supposed to be to me next year.
    yep. coming to eastover too!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    All these local and larger power companies have been sucking down huge money from the taxpayer for years for services that they never provided. Can't wait to see that faucet turned off on their sorry asses. If I live next door to ATT, I would still switch to Star Link just because fuck ATT...
    Damn Right. They could not pay me enough to have anything ATT
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Starlink Download Speeds to Double to 300Mbps This Year, Musk Says

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk also says his company is working to bring down Starlink’s latency to 20 milliseconds. It can currently achieve about 150Mbps with a 30ms latency.

By Michael Kan
    February 22, 2021

SpaceX is aiming to double the download speeds on its satellite internet system Starlink to 300Mbps later this year, according to CEO Elon Musk.

Musk tweeted the news to a new Starlink customer, who was able to receive 70Mbps, and then 130Mbps download speeds, after setting up the satellite dish outside his home.

In the same tweet, Musk said SpaceX is also working to bring down Starlink’s latency to 20 milliseconds later this year. Currently, the system averages at around 30 milliseconds, which is still on par with ground-based internet services.

The improvements promise to make Starlink even more appealing for internet users across the globe who are stuck with slow broadband connectivity. Through Starlink, SpaceX can theoretically deliver high-speed internet to any location on the planet.

To achieve the faster speeds and coverage, SpaceX has been working to launch more Starlink satellites into orbit. The company currently has about 1,000 in operation around the planet, but it envisions the system one day spanning tens of thousands of satellites, enabling download speeds up to 10Gbps.

The big question facing Starlink is availability. The system is currently serving about 10,000 subscribers, who are mainly based in the northern US and lower Canada. However, hundreds of thousands of internet users across all 50 states in the US have expressed interest in trying out the service, SpaceX told the FCC earlier this month.

The good news is that anyone can pre-order the Starlink service on its official website. But the company doesn’t plan on expanding coverage to many US states until mid to late 2021. Customers must also pay a $499 one-time fee for the equipment and then $99 a month for the internet plan.

On Twitter, Musk added that his company is still on track to roll out Starlink globally this year. “Most of Earth by end of year, all by next year, then it’s about densifying coverage,” he said in a follow-up tweet.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/starlink-...year-musk-says

Interesting.....following
    HughesNet sux ass.....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 02-22-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Im on the wait list for Edisto

This is a game changer for rural living
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Interesting.....following
    HughesNet sux ass.....
    That’s my only option as well. After the reviews I just said to hell with it. I don’t have internet and it’s not that much of an inconvenience. It’s funny to try and explain to my GFs kids why they can’t get on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    This is a game changer for rural living
    I hope Wall Street underestimates just how much before the IPO. This one should kill...

Our local electric co-op is teaming up with the phone company to provide fiber internet to rural areas of the county. Good for folks in Southern and Western York County. Hoping we get it early, as my neighbor through the woods has it now, and we are in the co-op system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I’m not into stocks but I’d buy this at the IPO.