Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Solar

Default Home Solar

Any of you guys have it? Pros? Cons? What is the threshold for payoff? Replacement cost?

I’m looking at an option that has been proposed to me and honestly it seems to good.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

You better be careful I heard dominion is wanting to lower the rate they pay back. Personally I wouldn’t even consider it.
    Solar salesman or worse than insurance agents and lawyers
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 02-09-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Is the proposed option going to get you meter neutral? Does your current power company charge you a tax/fee for having solar? Tons of variables here. How big is the house? What’s your power usage? Are you getting a battery wall? If it’s going on your roof it won’t make since unless you have a new(er) roof. So how old are your shingles.

I think most proposal shoot for a 10 year payoff and a 20-25 year life span.

Also...is this your “forever home”

Default Home Solar

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Also...is this your “forever home”
    Yes. House is 4 years old

A lot of the other questions will be answered Friday

Currently the numbers equal out to about 6 yr payoff......part the reason I’m even considering.

Last edited by buckshot1224; 02-09-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    You better be careful I heard dominion is wanting to lower the rate they pay back. Personally I wouldn’t even consider it.
    Solar salesman or worse than insurance agents and lawyers
    And everyone knows you’re an idiot

I see a lot of folks talk about going solar, but I never have heard from anyone that has gone solar. Wonder why that is?

Sitting out at my neighbors shop and he is pitching a bitch because Duke power done sent him a $156 bill on top of his payment to Sunrun. He called today and said come get them off the damn house. I wouldnt even consider it after listening to him bitch about it the last 2 years.

I haven't installed yet but considering. Largest concerns right now are my personal hurdle rate for payback time (would like 3 yrs, ain't happening yet) mainly due to decrease in perdormance over time coupled with replacement/disposal costs (can't just dump them due to toxic contents).
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

You will find that great deal is not so great when they tell you batteries not included. That's at least another $15K with no tax credit for them.

I’d get a Tesla wall.

I’d go solar if I were in my forever home and have enough battery that I’d feel comfortable disconnecting from the grid altogether.

There are people who make a living at making it "seem good". If it was as good as they say they wouldn't have jobs.

Take your money and put it in four different utility stocks - you'll get a better return and have faster liquidation if and when you ever need it.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot1224 View Post
    And everyone knows you’re an idiot

You’re going to be the idiot if you buy one of them damn things...dumbass. Just damn I didn’t realize you were that damn gullible.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 02-09-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Junk.

The only way I'd ever consider it would be to use Tesla tiles or ground mount.

I would never put holes in my roof to mount those things. I've heard they can clamp to the ridge of a metal roof but haven't looked into that.

When you have to replace the roof, who pays to take the panels off and then reinstall them? The roof guarantee they give you is useless and when I looked into solar it voided the roof warranty. Roofs are made to be impervious to water, putting holes in it isn't a good idea. The guarantee the solar installer gives you also isn't a surety bond and they won't give you one. It is a company guarantee. Had a friend have to go to court to get them to honor it after his roof leaked.

if its too good to be true, its too good to be true.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I see a lot of folks talk about going solar, but I never have heard from anyone that has gone solar. Wonder why that is?
    Because people still remember when the dust bowl blacked out the sun?

Guy I know did it for home and barn on farm recently. The vendor is still working on dialing in the programming, so the verdict is still out on the monthly savings, but with various incentives, he had 51% of it the equipment and install paid upfront and get additional tax credits for next several years. I'll be bugging him for updates. It was drinking from a firehose when he was telling me, so I'll have to revisit to better understand, but the capabilities were impressive.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I use to work for a power provider and I've heard every spill you could imagine when it comes to solar. One person in the town I was working in decided to do it thinking that it would help them on their power bill and to my knowledge, it didn't help much at all. From the way I understood it, the solar panels stored a certain amount of energy and you could run certain appliances off of the stored energy. From talking to the home owner that installed it, it wasn't enough to really make a difference at the time. I think the panels are pretty sensitive when it comes to collecting energy. From what I gathered, there was only a couple of hours during the day that this particular setup was collecting any. I did some math on it using different scenarios and kilowatt usage and I never really could see a benefit from it.

I don't care if they paid my power bill each month plus gave me a $100, I ain't having those ugly panels mess up the aesthetics of my house. Sometimes it's just about principals and not money, at least it is for me. Now, if they ever created a little 2'x2' box that mounted on the back of your house or something, I'd take a look. Until then, I'll be paying whatever the power company bills me.