Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead Free Rifle Ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A wounded dove is probably more likely to survive the embedded birdshot than a hawk that eats him.
    If that's the case we all need to cripple more doves.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    If that's the case we all need to cripple more doves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    We really didn't understand the down range difference when the switch was made to steel shot- the old proven duck killer high brass lead 6 had the energy and 1.5" penetration at 83 yards that a same velocity steel 6 had at 25.
    Watch out using that truth around these pheasants. Their heads might explode.

Many don't understand it now.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-09-2021 at 03:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I don't know how you survive around here being so damn smart, Willy.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    I don't know how you survive around here being so damn smart, Willy.
    No shit. His hypocrisy apparently knows no bounds.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Watch out using that truth around these pheasants. Their heads might explode.

Many don't understand it now.

We really didn't understand the down range difference when the switch was made to steel shot- the old proven duck killer high brass lead 6 had the energy and 1.5" penetration at 83 yards that a same velocity steel 6 had at 25.
    Just for fun I ran 1.50" of penetration for a nickel plated #6 to 83 yards through KPY...... that would require a muzzle velocity of 3500 fps at +0' MSL at 32 F. But I digress.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

However I'm hearing the non lead copper rifle ammo is out performing traditional lead rounds.
    Well, it depends on what your definition of "IS" is.

Outperforming in what way? Lead is more dense than a monolithic solid copper projo. I have observed the same thing as NITRO. The only way to get them to have good Terminal ballistics is shoot them very fast and use light for caliber aka low sectional density bullets. Getting the copper solids to expand is a PITA and honestly not worth pursuing. If you have to make it work, shoot them in an over-bore cartridge, shoot light for cal, and way over 3000 fps MV. Then aim for something hard.

What I like so much about Nosler BT and Berger VLD is they give you such a wide margin for error. I don't try to bang up my deer and just shoot em wherever, but in hunting scenarios, you don't always have a perfect shot from a solid rest whereas a traditional cup and core bullet just provides a greater room for error when things don't quite go perfectly.

What's amazing is that I survive at life at all, much less around this place.

It's my charming personality that can only be appreciated in person. Many of you guys are missing out I'm telling ya.

Last edited by willyworm; 02-09-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Barnes 130 TTSX out of my 270 kills well. You need to push them fast and or hit bone to get good expansion. I shot a couple of antelope , a mule deer and a several local deer with them. They all died quickly. I had them because I was planning on shooting an elk with my 270 as well and wanted the extra penetration.
    I’m sure some hawks die from ingesting lead, but people have been shooting lead pellets for centuries, and we still have plenty of hawks flying around. The Meat Eaters just happen to be pushing their line of copper ammo loaded by Federal. Not sure it it’s a chicken or egg type situation.

There are more hawks today than the ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Just for fun I ran 1.50" of penetration for a nickel plated #6 to 83 yards through KPY...... that would require a muzzle velocity of 3500 fps at +0' MSL at 32 F. But I digress.
    Let me go find the chart from the ammo mfg's for you- I might be wrong but not by much

Tman- it was your chart- I was bourbon #2 wrong

3 4 5 steel bis lead.PNG

It was lead 3's at 85 yards and steel 3's at 36
    lead 5 at 60 yds and steel 5s at 23

Let me go find the chart from the ammo mfg's for you- I might be wrong but not by much
    KPY Ballistic Calculator

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Tman- it was your chart- I was bourbon #2 wrong
    Haha its all good

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I knew what you meant BH.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Of course you did.

I've been using Barnes for several years with good results. Just my observation, but seem to create a good amount of shock when they hit. Also have been using the Barnes tipped muzzle loader bullet 250 gr with 100 gr Buckhorn 209. Very impressed with that as well. Buck went about 30 yds, and big doe dropped immediately. Both shot through the ribs (no shoulder).

Take 2 bullets, virtually identical but one is copper and the other is lead. Both the same weight. Would a faster twist be needed for the copper bullet if it is longer to weigh as much as the lead bullet?

And if the faster twist is needed, would you then be needing to shoot a lighter bullet out of the same barrel?
    Last edited by rp; 02-13-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.