Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lead Free Rifle Ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Take 2 bullets, virtually identical but one is copper and the other is lead. Both the same weight. Would a faster twist be needed for the copper bullet if it is longer to weigh as much as the lead bullet?

And if the faster twist is needed, would you then be needing to shoot a lighter bullet out of the same barrel?
    I have always thought twist was related to bullet weight. I didn't think ideal twist was correlated with bullet length.

Longer bullets are usually heavier. I suppose that is true in lead bullet comparisons. And copper comparison too.

At the same time, it seems that target bullets took a faster twist. Bullets that are not true hollow points but do have a hollow cavity at the tip for example. I can't remember the one in particular I am thinking about.

I am thinking about all of this from my office. Let me get home.....
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Take 2 bullets, virtually identical but one is copper and the other is lead. Both the same weight. Would a faster twist be needed for the copper bullet if it is longer to weigh as much as the lead bullet?

And if the faster twist is needed, would you then be needing to shoot a lighter bullet out of the same barrel?
    Copper bullets of a given weight are longer than the lead cored counterpartLonger projectiles usually need a faster twist to stabilize, the only way to know for sure is shoot some and see.
    Last edited by FLS; 02-13-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks for this thread Glenn.

It seems that with this expanding copper bullets that velocity should be at least 2,400 fps so the bullet can expand and cut a big channel. Below 2,400 fps and the bullets just don't expand enough...cartridge and distance matter a lot. It's the opposite of the fragmenting loads that work better at lower velocities.

1800fps

2400fps

3050fps
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

With as many deer that get wounded due to poor shot placement or taking less than mediocre kill shots if these same people start using all copper bullets they will have every deer they shoot at run off and die and never recover.

Taking good shots and you can kill a deer with a 22 but yet 27 and 30 caliber bullets lose deer every year with excellent expansion and penetration.

copper bullets makes for more vegetarians unless they eat more store bought yard buzzard, pork, or beef.

Default Lead Free Rifle Ammo...

I’m confused.
    1) jim at BOP is a kook. I bet he shoots lead into the environment at clays.
    2) if you don’t leave dead animals in the woods with lead in them then how are they ingesting it?
    3) is there a shortage of birds of prey? I tend to think not. If you cite any such shortage, is it from lead shot or DDT?
    4) As stated previously, why can we shoot non waterfowl animals in the same place we shoot waterfowl animals with lead shot no problem?
    5) How are there unsafe levels of lead in meat not around impact site of large game animals that are shot and then almost immediately die of being shot?
    6) why is the concern all about birds of prey and not the number of crippled animals that result in non lead shot?
    7) I need a cardboard straw because turtles are eating my straws even though I have never fed a straw to a turtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 03-03-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Lead rifle bullets have been banned in California for quite some time, due to the Condors and "lead poisoning."
    Hunters got the blame....naturally. Fast forward, and Condors are still dying of lead poisoning and there are no lead bullets being used.

Lead shells are great on ducks, and lead rifle bullets are great on big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Thanks for this thread Glenn.

It seems that with this expanding copper bullets that velocity should be at least 2,400 fps so the bullet can expand and cut a big channel. Below 2,400 fps and the bullets just don't expand enough...cartridge and distance matter a lot. It's the opposite of the fragmenting loads that work better at lower velocities.

1800fps

2400fps

3050fps
    Precisely which cuts out long range performance.
    Really limits cartridges that start out with a muzzle velocity of 2600 or less.

I have extensively tested copper rifle bullets and they just don't have the same knock down as traditional cup and core lead bullets.

I am buying a lifetime supply of bergers in case they get banned......
    Last edited by BRR; 03-03-2021 at 11:13 PM.

Those look like Nosler E tips and they do suck. The old Barnes X weren’t much better.
    Barnes LRX, TTSX, Federal Terminal Ascent, and Hammer Bullets all gave good BCs and will expand down to 16-1800 FPS.

Soon it will be lead free fishing weights. The fishing weights cause issues for the birdd if prey as well. It will be 50 bucks for a bag of split shot soon.