Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun safes

Default Gun safes

Buddy has something happen to him that has really got me thinking about getting a gun safe. Right now I’m looking at liberty and Griffen safes. Any one been down this round before sand got any advice. Looking at something like a 32 size. I own no we’re near that but I don’t look to ever buy another safe unless something happens.

I have a Liberty Fatboy that has served me very well
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

32 will hold about 12.

Gunsafes are like garage/shops. Go twice as big as u think u need. I have a browning safe from triangle lock and key in columbia. Thoroughly satisfied with safe and the sale
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Just a PSA here, go for whatever works for you without worrying about the fireproofing. No matter what it says, or how much you spend, the safe is not fireproof.

I just witnessed a house burn down with two safes in it. One was a liberty and the other was a top of the line browning. Nothing survived either safe. better to spend that fireproofing upgrade money on insurance and just try to secure your guns against theft.

safes are for crackheads and other smash and grab theives.

if someone wants in, and has time and carbide blades, your guns are gone.

As stated before, a layer of sheetrock is not fireproof. Luckily I live less than 3 minutes from the fire department. Unless the fire starts IN my safe, i should be ok.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

GBelly did all sorts of research on this some years back. Should be a thread on it somewhere around here.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Is concrete any better. I know the griffins are concrete and have a rating of 2000 degrees for 2 hours. I hear what y’all are saying and agree, so this is really a mute point. I’m just curious
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-08-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    GBelly did all sorts of research on this some years back. Should be a thread on it somewhere around here.
    The Cliff notes were that he said call the Griffin guy and be done with it...

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Is concrete any better. I know the griffins are concrete and have a rating of 2000 degrees for 2 hours. I hear what y’all are saying and agree, so this is really a mute point. I’m just curious
    Unless it's 4in thick or more, no.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    safes are for crackheads and other smash and grab theives.

if someone wants in, and has time and carbide blades, your guns are gone.

As stated before, a layer of sheetrock is not fireproof. Luckily I live less than 3 minutes from the fire department. Unless the fire starts IN my safe, i should be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Just a PSA here, go for whatever works for you without worrying about the fireproofing. No matter what it says, or how much you spend, the safe is not fireproof.

I just witnessed a house burn down with two safes in it. One was a liberty and the other was a top of the line browning. Nothing survived either safe. better to spend that fireproofing upgrade money on insurance and just try to secure your guns against theft.

Buy as big as you can afford. You are only protecting against theft. And certainly don’t waste room by storing ammo in there. Not to mention the additional mess it will make when it cooks for in a fire. Job box is perfect for secure ammo, mags, etc storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

The only complete house fire that I have ever dealt with, we could not find one stone out of a massive custom built stone chimney/fireplace. A gunsafe wouldn't stand a chance. Hell we never found any of the cast iron...

Echoing what is been said. I bought a safe last year and already need another one. Buy twice the size that you think you need, particularly if you have several scoped rifles. I think they must count for 8 guns each based upon the manufacturer claims on how many guns the safe will hold.
    Carolina Counsel

Go see griffin. He also refubs commercial safes with tl/tr ratings. That is what i got. 4inchs thick, 4000lbs. Surprisingly affordable for the protection

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I have witnessed a complete house fire. Beat the fire trucks there and helped pull the first hose from the fire truck.

Only gun that survived was in a cheap allen gun case between the mattress and box springs.

Buy the biggest one you can fit in the space. If that doesn’t work find more space.

Other than that you’ll find all kinds of price points, ratings, etc.

If you get a lightweight one, at the very least bolt it to the floor or wall. This one appeared to have been stolen by meth heads, they hammered the tumbler to no avail, panicked and probably after some discussion of there being a tracking chip inside, they tossed it off a bridge. It was empty
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Buy the best you can afford, but also give thought to the placement of it...Keep it away from a place that would become a hot spot in a fire...Usually an exterior wall corner if possible...Don't stack flammable things around it...Most safes wind up containing valuable things other than guns, so you want yo do all you can to help it survive.

Think outside the box......I have a couple data vaults out of a bank that I demo-ed that I set in the corners of my game room with a my crane as I was building my house...I've seen several others for sale since then.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Go see griffin. He also refubs commercial safes with tl/tr ratings. That is what i got. 4inchs thick, 4000lbs. Surprisingly affordable for the protection
    Which one did you get if you do t mind me asking

I think it was mentioned above, don't count on getting 52 guns in a 52 gun safe. Ain't happenin. Gets even worse when you add rifles with scopes.