Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitka Must Haves

It is Gore Tex. It will start to leak at some point. Every member of our club has gone through the progression of gore tex and gore tex derived gear, it will leak. maybe not this year, maybe not next, but it will.

Get some heavy ass Filson stuff, send it off every couple of years, and be done with it.

Jet stream beanie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakota vest
    Gradient pants
    Midweight Zip T
    Hudson Bibs

The Dakota vest is probably my favorite piece. A good base layer, mid layer and the vest is all you need the majority of time in SC. It does a good job in keeping the wind off of your core.

Hudson bibs are nice for duck hunting and dog training but they are not quiet by any means. Would not recommend for deer hunting.

Stickers. For your truck, coolers and gun barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Jet stream beanie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fact. Essential AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Their regular beanie is basically a kippah.

I got a duck oven jacket for Christmas. I made a paddle in hunt in it had to strip down topless to cool off, it was in the 30's. Crazy warm gear for sure.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Spend you money on layers closest to skin. Thats what separates Sitka and Kuiu, the baselayers are the heart of the "system"

Sitka and Kuiu are where it’s at. Buy once, cry once.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by formerly bohica View Post
    It is Gore Tex. It will start to leak at some point. Every member of our club has gone through the progression of gore tex and gore tex derived gear, it will leak. maybe not this year, maybe not next, but it will.

Get some heavy ass Filson stuff, send it off every couple of years, and be done with it.
    Precisely.

And the upside to your advice is, you won’t be matching every single flat billed 20 year old kid at the boat ramp in computer generated China fad crap.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Layering merino wool with fleece works well. Especially hunting boxes and ladder stands riding a 4 wheeler or cart most of the way in. If you work to get where you hunt the higher end gear makes sense. My Cabelas fleece with wind shear works well but is bulky and heavy on long walks.

No pics of Jo-L yet makes this thread disappointing.

Kuiu
    One of there down jackets under a filson coat is the best combo in my mind. If it gets warm, you can literally fit the down coat in your pocket.
    Guide jacket is warm and quiet.
    Yukon rain set is the most waterproof thing I've ever owned.

Sitka might have them beat on the waterfowl side and fans with their instagram names on the their trucks, but for everything else, or multi use Kuiu.
    Last edited by buckpro; 02-08-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Fanatic Hoodie

If you are concern with supporting China check for Berry Amendment Complaint hunting clothes.

I own one piece of Sitka that was gifted to me. As Bog stated, I simply don't like looking like every other flat billed duck hunter dressed head to toe in it.

But for what it's worth, the hoodie I have (I believe its the Fanatic hoodie) is by far the warmest layer I have in my hunting clothing. If it's below 40 then I always have it on. I just make sure it's covered up with another article of respectable looking hunting outerwear....

No one has mentioned the best piece they make for duck hunting......the gradient cold weather bibs. I wear them under my breathable waders and have even worn them under a pair of carhartt bibs to deer hunt in 16°. Tasty warm. Like J Lo.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Kuiu
    One of there down jackets under a filson coat is the best combo in my mind. If it gets warm, you can literally fit the down coat in your pocket.
    Guide jacket is warm and quiet.
    Yukon rain set is the most waterproof thing I've ever owned.

Sitka might have them beat on the waterfowl side and fans with their instagram names on the their trucks, but for everything else, or multi use Kuiu.
    Ty, I’ve been wondering about the kuiu stuff for a bit, but have been deterred by their camo patterns.

I admit to not having researched it much. Do they have a pattern that’ll hide good in a coastal marsh?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Salma>J Lo. Carry on.

Ya'll really worry about what other people think of your camo so much that it deters you from buying it?

Any brand new membrane jacket will lose it's ability to shed water if left out in the rain long enough. It isn't like rubber or wax which only lose their ability through degredation and/or use.

Plan to stay dry during full day rain events? Forget membrane jackets...

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...of-rain-jacket