Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight mount config SBE2...WTF?!

Default Sight mount config SBE2...WTF?!

Ok, I’ve found exactly one rail mentioned in my internet searches that will “definitely fit an SBE 2.”
    Someone said weaver, so I bought a weaver. It fit. I was gifted two red dot scopes from my dad that had two different mounts and various mounting accessories. I tried these mounts, but the cross rods on one and the single cross bar on the other did not fit the crossbar slots on the weaver. I’ve inquired about what mount from two after market mount makers would mate a vortex venom to a weaver rail with 2, single 4mm slots toward each end of the rail. Their reply, “ “sorry, those slots are too small for our bases.” WTF is this so difficult to accomplish? All the red dot hardware I’ve looked at looks like every piece is designed to be as user unfriendly as possible and something akin to my mid 70s erector set projects. Usually when there is a problem in the market with a lack of standardization, a company that makes clever solutions that solve the problems emerge. A gajillion people own a sbe2, and an ass of them turkey hunt and an ass of them want a red dot, and an ass of them know the fast fire mount is complete garbage shit and want to mount a red dot to the top of the receiver in a normal fashion. WTF?!?!? Ok, I feel better.

Can someone please direct me to a mounting bracket (preferably quick detach) that will mate a vortex venom to a weaver rail that has 4mm slots...please...before I go to my garage and start breaking shit!
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-06-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Or...if you can tell me a different rail/mounting base combo that fits the sbe2 and fits the venom that does not lift the venom 2+“ off the top of the gun, I’ll buy all new hardware and take an angle grinder and hammer to the weaver.

Sumtoy makes the slickest mount on the market imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

You may know but a picatinny is not exactly the same as a Weaver rail. They are close but not identical. Picatinny is more common.

I tried a dot scope on my shotgun for turkey hunting. I used a cheapo sight and it was too tall for comfortable shooting. I'm not sure I'd be happy even with a micro dot scope like a venom or RMR unless I had the receiver milled. Just sighting down the bolt-on rail is unnaturally high.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yup. I figured they’d be different, but I’m new to rails, and I didn’t realize they would have different slot sizes. Heck, I didn’t even realize the slots were to accept stabilizer/alignment bars on mounts. I bought the weaver rail because it’s the only thing mentioned on my internet searches as a rail that definitely fits and is made for the SBE 2, and they make one with a center groove that allows for use of bead sights if you remove the sight...I’m wanting this and a quick detach in case I find myself in the woods with the venom not working. I just can not believe that companies specializing in mounts for these sights don’t make one that fits the pic and one that fits the weaver. Even more frustrating is when you go to the vortex website...they have a low profile mount for the viper sight that fits weaver rail...it specifically says viper and does not say venom. They have a mount for the venom that fits a weaver rail, but that mount is raised up an inch or so...which I don’t want, as it will be an unnatural shooting position. When I call or email to see if the venom will fit the viper mount, no one will answer, and I have not received a reply to the email. You’d think that the bottom of their sights would be standardized to fit the same mounts, but that would make too much sense. I’ll look at the sumtoy stuff and see if I can find a configuration that works.

I put a Venom on the Weaver rail that is on a Buckmark .22 pistol. A simple soution.

The only thing you have to do since the Weaver has a rounded bottom slot vs the picatinny is to get a flat or square file the fits the width of the Weaver slot and square off the bottom of the slot you want to use. It takes 10-15 minutes, if that, assuming you have a file. You could also use the edge of a wider flat file as long as it’s narrower than the slot.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

https://scalarworks.com/shop/integral-mounts/sync-01/

Only mount I’ve seen that was originally designed for the Benelli. I’ve got 1 on my turkey thumper Franchi and it fits like a glove. Only downside is using the trijicon or the holosun sights that fit it.
    Last edited by joshua2; 02-06-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I put a Venom on the Weaver rail that is on a Buckmark .22 pistol. A simple soution.

The only thing you have to do since the Weaver has a rounded bottom slot vs the picatinny is to get a flat or square file the fits the width of the Weaver slot and square off the bottom of the slot you want to use. It takes 10-15 minutes, if that, assuming you have a file. You could also use the edge of a wider flat file as long as it’s narrower than the slot.
    That's not the only difference. The spacing and width of the lugs and grooves are different too.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That's not the only difference. The spacing and width of the lugs and grooves are different too.
    True, but that doesn’t affect something like a red dot that normally only has one lug screw.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I got a rail that fits a sbe2
    Bought a sight from a guy off of here,mount came with it and that’s what he had it on
    Interested let me know

The low profile mount for venom only fits the p rail...the base has a cross bar that is too wide for the weaver slot. I figured out the solution...I think. I’m going to go to a shop here in town that can mill stuff and have them mill out the slot to match the width of the bar that fits the picatinny rail. Going to take him the weaver and picstinny and have him mill slots on the weaver to match the p where I want them on the weaver. I’m one more freaking straw from selling the SNE 2 and getting into a new Baretta.

It’s the gun’s or Benelli’s fault?
    No offense, but you’ve really overcomplicated the heck out of something quite simple. Hope it works out for you in the end though, and turns out like you want.

Just take a dremel with a cut wheel and shave off a little on the rail gap. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Just take a dremel with a cut wheel and shave off a little on the rail gap. Done.
    This I took a mill bastard file and put it on its edge and made the slot wider. Worked like a charm.

What’s wrong with buying the proper rail for $20 or less? Got a $1500+ shotgun and y’all boys are wanting to cut and grind!! Buy the CORRECT freaking rail and be done!
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 02-08-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    It’s the gun’s or Benelli’s fault?
    No offense, but you’ve really overcomplicated the heck out of something quite simple. Hope it works out for you in the end though, and turns out like you want.
    Not completely in this case. Ive found rails that fit the SBE2, but I’ve found exactly one that any user reviews actually have an actual consumer that will verify that the rail fits the gun without any issues (weaver I bought). I’ve found one picatinny that states it will fit the SbE2 as well as 20 other models...but I can not find anyone who has ever mounted it a SBE2. I’ve found a lot of threads on various boards with posters asking which rail to use, and the most definitive answers involve poorly fitting/performing rails and people advising to get certain rails and /or the gun tapped and drilled to get something to work. The Benelli shop sells a picatinny rail for the SBE 3 for a whopping 100$, but has nothing for the SBE 2...maybe it works on both, but they don’t specify that, and I doubt they’d standardize anything from gun to gun.

I can, however, go online and within minutes figure out what I need to mount the venom to a plethora of shotguns from Mossberg to brands I’ve barely heard of let alone seen.

And I said “the last straw.” I shoot that gun lights freaking out, and that is the only reason I didn’t dump it the first year I had it. I have to break it down and clean it between every hunt if I run more than 15-20 shots through it, or it is guaranteed to have ejection/feed failures, and I only shoot new or well taken care of high dollar, premium shells through it. The black gun I have will rust in a New York minute, so I just clean the entire gun after every other or every hunt. That’s fine until I’m in a multi day duck hunt somewhere in the middle of BFE sleeping in my truck.

All that said, it’s the best swinging, deadest ducks shotgun I’ve ever owned by a long shot, so I’ve hesitated to trade it out. Those issues combined with Benelli never claiming to fix the high shooting issues with the SBE3 because they “intentionall made it to shoot high” and the infamous Benelli “click” that has cost me at least 3 longbeards from bumping the bolt against something while scooting thru thick stuff....yes....one more freaking straw.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    What’s wrong with buying the proper rail for $20 or less? Got a $1500+ shotgun and y’all boys are wanting to cut and grind!! Buy the CORRECT freaking rail and be done!
    That is what the original question is...since you obviously know the answer, say it! What is the correct rail to fit a SBE2 and mate it to a low profile venom mount? I’m in rural Wyoming and on call 24/7, so I can not go to any sporting goods store to pull out and experiment with different rails and mounts. I must buy via internet based on info from others, so seriously...if you know what rail and hardware works to mount the venom on my gun without jacking it up 1-4”, please do tell.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-08-2021 at 08:33 AM.

Not being an ass but Nitro gave you your answer with the first response to your thread. I went ahead and did the leg work for you and called sumtoy customs. The mount for the FF3 is the same for the venom. The one made specifically for your gun is $50. As stated previously by others, you won’t find a better mount. I have a few with FF3 and they are dern near flush to the receiver.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 02-08-2021 at 09:07 AM.

It’s a shotgun. You aren’t shooting 250 yards. Just use that bright orange thingy an the end of the barrel.

Good luck!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Not completely in this case. Ive found rails that fit the SBE2, but I’ve found exactly one that any user reviews actually have an actual consumer that will verify that the rail fits the gun without any issues (weaver I bought). I’ve found one picatinny that states it will fit the SbE2 as well as 20 other models...but I can not find anyone who has ever mounted it a SBE2. I’ve found a lot of threads on various boards with posters asking which rail to use, and the most definitive answers involve poorly fitting/performing rails and people advising to get certain rails and /or the gun tapped and drilled to get something to work. The Benelli shop sells a picatinny rail for the SBE 3 for a whopping 100$, but has nothing for the SBE 2...maybe it works on both, but they don’t specify that, and I doubt they’d standardize anything from gun to gun.

I can, however, go online and within minutes figure out what I need to mount the venom to a plethora of shotguns from Mossberg to brands I’ve barely heard of let alone seen.

And I said “the last straw.” I shoot that gun lights freaking out, and that is the only reason I didn’t dump it the first year I had it. I have to break it down and clean it between every hunt if I run more than 15-20 shots through it, or it is guaranteed to have ejection/feed failures, and I only shoot new or well taken care of high dollar, premium shells through it. The black gun I have will rust in a New York minute, so I just clean the entire gun after every other or every hunt. That’s fine until I’m in a multi day duck hunt somewhere in the middle of BFE sleeping in my truck.

All that said, it’s the best swinging, deadest ducks shotgun I’ve ever owned by a long shot, so I’ve hesitated to trade it out. Those issues combined with Benelli never claiming to fix the high shooting issues with the SBE3 because they “intentionall made it to shoot high” and the infamous Benelli “click” that has cost me at least 3 longbeards from bumping the bolt against something while scooting thru thick stuff....yes....one more freaking straw.
    I don't know what you're doing or what you do or use when you clean it, and I'm not here to stick up for Benelli. I'd encourage everyone to shoot the guns that fit them best. I have a SBEII that's been my primary gun since 2009. From 2009 to 2018 I duck hunted probably an average of 3-4 days every week of the season with at least one out of state trip a year. I've seen it iced over with a combination or water and mud, covered and infiltrated with the finest sand in the continental U.S., and offered it every other abuse and condition imaginable in salt and fresh water. I think I've cleaned it maybe 3 times in it's life, and I truly have never had it hang up or fail on a hunt. I've shot cases of Estate (dirty dirty shells), Fiocci, Win, Kent, Boss you name it brand of steel shot. It's shot doves, deer, and other critters in those seasons thru the years as well. The spring in the back finally got slow enough for me to feel it needed replacing with a sure cycle and viola, a like new gun again.
    Also, I've never had the Benelli click on me, because I understand how it works. I don't get people having this happen to them, honestly.

Anywho, to get back on topic. Couple fellas told you what to do. Good luck and have a great season. Spring is almost here, and we won't have time to jabber on here as much.