Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** call to action alert***

Default *** call to action alert***

Email address : invasiveweeds@dnr.sc.gov

Subject : I oppose the 2021 Aquatic Plant Management Plan Draft

CWS requests that all members TAKE THE FEW SECONDS REQUIRED TO SEND JUST ONE EMAIL expressing your opposition to the Aquatic Plant Management council's draft plan to continue stocking and introducing more grass carp to lake systems throughout our state. Stockings have proven to be beyond prescribed numbers in aquatic solutions by experts in this field. The results of these continued stockings are barren lakes devoid of any aquatic vegetation which represent the basic beginning elements of the food chain in an aquatic system. Wildlife species such as Great Blue Herons, Snowy Egrets, Osprey, waterfowl of all types , Bald Eagles and even Swallows benefit from aquatic vegetation. Of course our recreational fisheries are dependent upon such vegetation as well.

Further, the economies and cultures driven by waterfowl hunting, fishing and even bird watching, that help boost and sustain rural community economics, are further decimated by such stockings.

Below is a copy of my email for reference. I approve the use of this email for anyone that wishes to use, change it up to make it your own:

I do hereby formally oppose the proposals to continue stocking hybrid grass carp into the Santee Cooper lake systems and others at the rates presented and the further introduction of carp into the lake systems throughout our state of South Carolina.

At present, the effects of the carp stocking numbers have greatly altered the lakes as a whole habitat biome. Many species of fish and avian life that would normally thrive in such aquatic environments are neglected by such a plan.

The importance of a balanced wildlife ecosystem ranging from invertebrates to vertebrates is greatly ignored, to detriment, when there are actions in play designed to eradicate even the native submerged aquatic vegetation. These native aquatic plant species, and yes, even some beneficial invasive species are the very building blocks of a healthy and functioning aquatic ecosystem.

As noted, these overly aggressive stocking actions not only cause detriment to many species of wildlife but also negatively effect the rural economies that center around hunting and fishing and other outdoor activities.

In a time of concern over water quality and South Carolina's ever decreasing wildlife habitat it's well past time that the APMC recognize these detrimental actions towards wildlife and water quality. Further, to continually ignore the amount of taxpaying citizens that have opposed such actions, both past and present, speaks negatively as an affront to the majority of recreational users and our hunting and fishing cultures.
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-05-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Has this ever actually worked?

Prior to our recorded comments in 2020, which were quite numerous, the most numerous actually, carp were stocked into two CAT 2s. After such comments carp were not stocked in 2020 into those same CAT 2s. Honestly, I can't say that it helped, but bringing the fact to light that SCDNR agreed to stock carp into CAT 2s definitely drew attention and heated the pot. Common sense would say its better than more carp being introduced.

Those same comments of opposition in numbers also got us into meet with Santee Cooper and thus the revision of the MOA from 10% aquatic veg in the Santee Cooper lakes to what I am told will be 17%. We, at that time, pushed for the removal of the herbaceous components from the aquatic component percentage as well. The MOA ( memorandum of agreement between SCDNR and Santee Cooper) is still being held in some form of legal fiasco. I can not say for certain what the final outcome will be in that arena but I believe and have been told that there are positive changes in the MOA as to the aquatic component.

What I can tell you is that with no continued recorded comments of opposition the green light for whatever action "they" and not "us" want becomes easy for those in charge. Also, as we build recorded comments of opposition, as Clark has done in the past and continues to help with and of which all continue to be ignored, the road for legal pursuit becomes more feasible. Though I wish the game were shorter, we have to think long game, especially with Santee Cooper on the ropes and not desiring more bad PR.

What we all know for fact is that doing nothing produces nothing.

It takes a couple of seconds, please take the time to send it.
    Last edited by Strick9; 02-05-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Sent.

sent.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Sent

Sent

Done

Our scdnr
    Depleting natural resources
    Been sending emails for years, sent again.

Our state is such a disappointment in regards to how they manage and proactively help our resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

With 755 views I sure hope more than what is shown above have sent an email !

If you would be so kind as to comment SENT, if you have done so or when you do send the email, that would help me track and correlate what they actually record when that data is released. Gotta keep em as honest as we can!
    Genesis 9;2

sent

Did it. Thanks for your efforts David

sent

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent

Sent

Been sent a while.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Sent

Sent

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Sent
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans