Thread: DNR Aquatic Management Plan

Default DNR Aquatic Management Plan

Link and email link to the aquatic plan. Please take a little time to read and send in your thoughts and concerns. Remember to complain online is easy to do something like send in an email is just as easy.....

The DNR and the Council seek public review and comment on the proposed Draft S.C. Aquatic Plant Management Plan. Comments and suggestions should be submitted to program staff at the email or mailing address to the left. All comments should be received in writing or by email at invasiveweeds@dnr.sc.gov by the closing date of February 22, 2021 to ensure that they are given proper consideration in the final plan. Please, no petitions will be accepted as this is not a voting process.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/invasiveweeds/draftplan.html
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Everyone needs to send in this email!!

A lot of you might thing it won't make a difference. Doing nothing will certainly NOT make a difference.

As with many things the louder the voice the shorter it can be ignored.

Take the time!
    Genesis 9;2

Email sent.

Here's mine...(sorry - I started typing and got carried away)

Prior to 1995 or so the Santee Cooper system, Lakes Marion and Moultrie, was a healthy, thriving ecosystem that was covered with terrestrial life and inundated with aquatic diversity. Small and relatively unknown species like blackbanded sunfish, flier, and bluefin killifish were so abundant that they could be caught, literally by the dozens, simply by dipping a 5-gallon bucket into the then plentiful submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) and letting water and life rush in. Of course, with the foundation of the ecological pyramid so firmly in place, populations of higher order and more economically important species flourished too.

Striper fishing was phenomenal. Largemouth bass and catfish were abundant. There were enough bream and crappie that anyone who ventured out in the spring with a bucket of minnows or a tube of crickets was treated to the Lowcountry’s best. This healthy ecosystem extended out of the lakes, into the air, and onto the riparian surroundings. Birds, especially migratory species in the fall and winter, flocked to our systems of lakes. The open areas provided safety for their numbers while the compatible biomass sustained their physical needs. Birds that would otherwise have to extend their migrations much further south found a pleasant winter home in South Carolina. They returned north in greater numbers and in better health because of the abundance of the famed Santee Cooper system. Santee Cooper became a self-fulfilling prophecy as these healthy and numerous species along with their progeny returned the following autumn in even greater numbers. There was no doubt – The Santee Cooper system’s fame was well deserved and well earned.

Then came the idea of grass carp. The awkward and bumbling early use of hundreds of thousands of grass carp destroyed the bio-diversity of the lakes. Sport fish died off and, because of the sterile condition on the lakes, couldn’t reproduce themselves. Migratory birds were forced to continue further south exposing themselves to greater predation during longer and more physically-depleting migrations. The most common denizens of the lake, fish and birds, have been replaced with pontoon boats aimlessly piloted over what is a literal aquatic desert. I don’t fault anyone for these early attempts. We were dealing with something so unknown and alien that there were bound to be some mistakes. I do fault the decision makers for the continued decades of unrelenting use of grass carp to fight a problem that hasn’t existed for 20 years. The cliché about doing the same thing and expecting different result is so apposite that it is madding to those of us who have patiently waited for these few decision makers to finally come to terms with the damage they have caused that, at this point, may be irreparable.

The absence of SAVs and the over application of grass carp have made Santee Cooper the perfect environment for invasive species that aren’t on the grass carp’s menu like crested floating heart and water hyacinth. White marsh has taken over shallower areas and turned fertile, useful lake into impenetrable marsh that even rails won’t use. Open flats that used to be covered with SAVs and filled with invertebrates and now barren flats with unfolding cypress trees that are already starting to block enough sun that SAVs may never grow again. We won't easily reclaim these areas but we can limit any further damage.

There is only one sane decision that can be made at this point: quit using grass carp anywhere on the Santee Cooper system – period and forever. I do not and will never again support the use of grass carp on the Santee Cooper System.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Sent.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Sent
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Sent.
    A fish bites 2 times a day, right before I get to the water, and as soon as my boat gets back on the trailer.

Can we all take a moment to thank the bass fishermen who originally brought the hydrilla in leading us to this? Thanks. Now I don't have to spend a paragraph bitching to DNR about that stupidity and we can focus on the stupidity at hand... Thanks for making us aware guys...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Can we all take a moment to thank the bass fishermen who originally brought the hydrilla in leading us to this? Thanks. Now I don't have to spend a paragraph bitching to DNR about that stupidity and we can focus on the stupidity at hand... Thanks for making us aware guys...
    It was going to happen eventually - no way to avoid it. On a related note, LR and I caught some Seminole Killifish in a castnet on Lake Moultrie...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Sent

Done
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    It was going to happen eventually - no way to avoid it. On a related note, LR and I caught some Seminole Killifish in a castnet on Lake Moultrie...
    Yep, I had a flat tire and the spare sits in a cradle on the trailer. When I lifted the spare there was a handful of Giant Salvania hidden from view. Luckily I haven't been to any other lake this year.

After this experience I can see how easily invasive plants are spread across the country.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk