Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One duck boat?

Default One duck boat?

If you could only have one motored duck boat what would it be? I know there is no such thing as one perfect boat, but something that does 80ish percent of what you do. The rest you just have to deal with.

I have had quite a few different boats over the years. I think I have narrowed it down to one (which I don't own nor have I ever ridden in one) that might just do it. I hunt mostly open water. So crossing rough water some what comfortably is important. Also covering a bunch of water quickly is a must. As far as size 17' is perfect for me. I have owned 14' to 18' and keep coming back to 17 footers. My only real dilemma now is tiller or console. Having had both, I love both. Both setups have its place. I am thinking a 17' high tide will do what I want and some. I can always throw in my kayak or marsh rats if need be.

What would be your perfect one boat setup and why?
    Last edited by JBK; 02-05-2021 at 01:45 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

1756 Tiller
    Big enough to hunt open water, but can still get in small creeks. Also can fit a sneak in it like you said.

I cant think of any advantages of having a CC in a duck boat.

My next boat will be a 1754 war eagle with pod seats with a tiller 50 yamaha.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    I cant think of any advantages of having a CC in a duck boat.
    Because there are none. I Had a 1754 war eagle with a CC and sold it within a year. I imagine I would still have it if it had been a tiller or my personal preference, a SC. That size boat is not meant to have a CC imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Either my 548 or 648 war eagle. Or a comparable sized havoc. If I hunt public these days it’s either SC marshes or lake, or timber out west. Both mentioned boats can accomplish this. Tighter and lighter is what I want.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Someone find me an aluminum cab boat. I'll get cold on the boat ride in my regular old jon boat on the way to hunt, but I want to scout in a heated cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Someone find me an aluminum cab boat. I'll get cold on the boat ride in my regular old jon boat on the way to hunt, but I want to scout in a heated cabin.
    i saw a bad ass sea ark one at sportsmans classic a few years ago. I think it was around 45k
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    i saw a bad ass sea ark one at sportsmans classic a few years ago. I think it was around 45k
    I don't want to be warm that bad.

I've been looking for a 16' - 20' cab boat in the $4k - $10k range for a while now. Found a few that were neglected and haven't moved in years, but no one willing to sell yet.

I may be in the minority here- but a kayak is pretty damn versatile.

A 15’4” gheenoe with a 2st 15hp on the back was fun for setting up in the morning, then paddle shooting later.

I want a 1556 with at least a 40hp for my next boat
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Can you get one that big thru the jungle?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Can you get one that big thru the jungle?

With everywhere my 1756 has been, I would have to say yes.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I don't want to be warm that bad.

I've been looking for a 16' - 20' cab boat in the $4k - $10k range for a while now. Found a few that were neglected and haven't moved in years, but no one willing to sell yet.
    Check periodically on Govdeals.com. A lot of government agencies up north run those aluminum boats with a cabs of various sizes. Can sometimes catch one on the auction.

Roger that. I can get my 1651 Xpress thru there, and depends on where the water is, it's tight. I always wondered if an extra foot longer and a few inches wider would be a little too much.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I recently purchased a Triton TX18 Camo boat last March. I bass fish, catfish, crappie fish, run jugs and plan on hunting out of it at some point. Fits me well for a all around boat.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Fiberglass or aluminum?

I have a 17' HiTide.

It's floated in two oceans. Ran every major river system between Virginia to Florida, fished in 1000' water and jumped a sunken rice trunk. Carried enough dead animals in it to sink 100 times over and seen my family grow from diapers and drink boxes to shaving and sampling adult beverages. I've killed a sea suck slam off the coast, and mallards in the reeds in the same season. To go really skinny it carries a pirogue or two, or three.

She's getting kind of rough but I don't think any other boat would/could have done what she has.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I had this boat built back in March and I love.

Skinned it out, wide open with just pod seating.
    Pedestal holes in the floor to seat 3 comfortably.
    Duck bill.
    I can fit 2 marsh rats, 100 decoys, and anything else I can manage to pile in there.
    Putts easily in 6 inches of water at low tide in shallow drive.
    Can still run in the woods.

I couldn’t be happier.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I have a cc, it's fine as a duck boat.. if I were to have a reason to buy another it would be a cc as well. I'm not in the mood to run a tiller again. the only disadvantage in hunting with a cc is that it cuts out a seating position, which is cool with me.

The last boat I had was a 1756 edge. It was a good boat. But after a few seasons welds started cracking. It would also leave you soaked in any kind of rough water if you weren't paying attention. I'm going to start looking at the new high tide/mi tide. A 17 footer with a tiller setup would be almost perfect I think.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    The last boat I had was a 1756 edge. It was a good boat. But after a few seasons welds started cracking. It would also leave you soaked in any kind of rough water if you weren't paying attention. I'm going to start looking at the new high tide/mi tide. A 17 footer with a tiller setup would be almost perfect I think.
    If you're going that route, talk to them about not doing a cap. Just a catwalk. That cap they use for the 17's is one of the biggest headaches I've had with the boat. So much I am considering pulling the cap off it, fairing the sides and doing a catwalk just like I described.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton