Thread: Boat Blind Build

Default Boat Blind Build

I have been hunting deeper water the last few years. I always prefer to hide the boat around the corner and hug a tree, but that hasn't been an option. In the past, I've covered the boat with burlap, military netting, and decoy bags. That worked fine for wood ducks and suicide non-circlers, but I couldn't consistently finish mallards, gadwall, and the like. I recruited an extra set of hands before the season and built a 3/4" EMT conduit frame based off a combo of scgolfer (I think) and Tater's MS Paint guidelines.

One thing I was precise about keeping the frame inside the boat rails so it wouldn't get ruined bumping trees. By having nothing hanging over and following the contours of the back angles of the boat, I can run the tiller with the blind still up.

The backer is 90% shade cloth off Amazon. Blocks the wind well and is lightweight, but it's not waterproof. I didn't want the added weight and bulk of a tarp or wet weight and lack of longevity of burlap. The camo itself is a few sheets of military netting cut into strips and ziptied in bunches. Time consuming and probably 1000 zipties. It should last indefinitely as opposed to fast grass or natural products that weather. I also added a few deer stands worth of weathered burlap patches for more depth and color contrast.

I have a sheet of military netting ziptied on one side of the top frame that I flip over the top. It hunts one person in the front and one in the back well. I haven't hunted more than 2 people, but I thought about cutting a slot in the top net to accommodate another person on a bucket in the middle of the boat.

Blind In Barn.jpg

Blind In Cypress.jpg

30 yards out

BLind From Decoys.jpeg

Blind Mallards (2).jpg

Looks great!!

Very good.

Advice - cover your motor in the same material.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That looks great!
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

That's nice Clark... really nice.

Looks fantastic.

I have a frame - just need the cover. Thanks for the play by play. Gonna be a good end of summer project.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Mighty fine indeed!

Tater almost sunk my boat one morning when I was running a grass mat version of that setup.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....