Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rehabilitating an old house

A good guide for renovating an old house is to watch "The Money Pit", youre welcome

I make a living renovating old houses and I demolished the one I had and built a new one. If that tells you anything.

You know where I live. My house will be 100 years old next year. I’ve done 95% of the work myself, with the exception being the tile work and plumbing when I tore out the chimney to add a 2nd bathroom. I just ran out of time to do it myself with our first one on the way in 2016. Old houses are a lot of fun, have character that new houses dream of having, but are a pain. If not for my boys being the 5th generation and my literal blood and sweat going into this house, I doubt I would have ever stayed. I know this house intimately inside and out now.

It sounds like unless you have endless free time or don’t mind having 3-4 hours of sleep a night to stay up working on that place to get it done in a timely fashion, and it needs a lot too it sounds like, I would keep on moving.

A brand new house can have character exactly like a 100 year old house. Just got to build a nice custom home and not buy the slab built cookie cutter house

Yeah, I am over it already.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I bought a 1957 brick ranch in August and let me tell ya....you better have the skills because it is like a pulling on a thread. Each problem leads to another. Patients and $$$$ are your only hope. If you have to hire.. tear down and start over.

Our house is 120 years old, and I just started a rebuild of our downstairs bathroom. I say rebuild, because saying remodel won't come close to what I am going to have to do. All the tile and sheet rock has been pulled off the walls. I've ripped the lowered ceiling out, and now I have to rip the original ceiling out, to see what has to be fixed. Once I get that ripped out, I'll start demo on the floating concrete floor, to replace what ever needs replacing there. With the jump in building materials, I'm hesitant to put pen to paper.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Put me in the opposite camp.

We renovated a 134 year old house, we’ve had some minor issues but nothing crazy. It was a full renovation, everything was renovated or replaced. It was more than we anticipated, but it’s nice having a house with some character and not cookie cutter.

From Christmas:

Attachment 63733
    I was hoping you were going to weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    I was hoping you were going to weigh in.
    I personally think it comes down to doing your due diligence. Before we bought, I brought in multiple contractors, electrician, plumber, engineer to inspect foundation, and pest guys on top of a traditional inspection. I probably spent a couple grand just to make sure the basics were covered.

Main work I did was demo, I can do some reno work, but I’m not very handy. 90% of the renovation came through a one man operation that hired out a day labor when he needed help, and a painter. Could have been done quicker with a full crew, but we had time on our side (didn’t sell our previous primary right away). I put in a good bit of cash into my property. I also got a ton of equity, I could sell it for 2x+ what I have in it within a month if I listed. I wouldn’t be able to do that with a new build in most situations.

My house is kind of an anomaly (old hand drawn paintings on the ceiling from 1890’s), but if someone thinks they can get the same character from a new build, for anywhere close to the same price point, you’re crazy. I’ve been in a good bit of very nice new and older homes, with the exception of a couple character doesn’t even compare in a newer build.

Quote Originally Posted by LCO View Post
    Honestly old homes are full of ghosts and stuff, renovating will just piss them off then next thing you know your possessed and doing the backwards crab walk up your ladder stand next year.
    This guy knows what’s up.

Honestly old homes are full of ghosts and stuff, renovating will just piss them off then next thing you know your possessed and doing the backwards crab walk up your ladder stand next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    This guy knows what’s up.

I grew up by a cemetery, and now live by a funeral home. I've been around the dead, spooks, and haints my whole life. As long as you're respectful, they don't bother you much.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

You mean like this guy??

If the house were in the family for generations then please save it. If not run.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Sometimes it just aint worth it no mater what the sentimental value is, this one was on no foundation, 6" off the ground and the framing in the floor was just fukd from sitting since 83 with no maintenance.

100783225_252740476041343_3611700411014732667_n.jpg

did you get an asbestos check on that?
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Sometimes it just aint worth it no mater what the sentimental value is, this one was on no foundation, 6" off the ground and the framing in the floor was just fukd from sitting since 83 with no maintenance.

100783225_252740476041343_3611700411014732667_n.jpg
    Was that asbestos siding?
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

No asbestos in that house.

any more
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yeah, I am over it already.
    yeah even i was overwhelmed reading that.

Only thing i have to add after being in a similar situation, in law suites seem to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    No asbestos in that house.
    It was all on the outside.