Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rehabilitating an old house

I'd own a horse before I remodeled another old house and I will never own a horse.

I invested in a building that we are renovating as the lodge/clubhouse at my duck club. We have more than doubled our original guesstimate on the build out. Material costs have killed us and every time we turn around there’s something else that needs to be done that we didn’t expect. Ours is a 2400 square foot all steel building that needed some interior demolition and new interior framing. We had to reengineer the plumbing, re-wire the entire building, fix the roof, etc., etc. ........... and the only labor costs have been for demolition and some framing so far. We’ve done everything else and we’re far from “done”. The HVAC is being replaced next after it died in January. There’s an old movie with Tom Hanks, “The Money Pit”, watch it first. Having said that, I’m not saying “don’t do it “ but just be prepared for unforeseen costs.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 02-17-2021 at 12:15 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

2x the time and 2x the money.

I’m doing a 1930s house. Didn’t expect the rip all the electrical out. Didn’t expect to replumb the whole deal, etc etc etc.

Im doing the whole thing, but you’ll tear into stuff and rather fix the issue right than cover something back up. Thankfully, I’ve got a patient wife.

That said, my location will get me back all the dollars I’ve spent plus some. And I picked nicer appliances, tile, lighting, finishes because I saved money on labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you know there's termite damages in those bastards, you get into that.. whew. If not and a time comes where you need to sell, dern.

Ours was built in 1885. We got the house for free with purchase of land because it was deemed unlivable. New electrical, plumbing, new hvac (never was any before) , full tear out and rebuild of kitchen(down to studs and tearing out floor studs), insulation top and bottom, restored all weight and pulley windows including glazing, new septic, rebuilt well, new sunroom, new porch, brick foundation. We started in May 2000 and moved in Jan 2001. Would have been sooner if not for weather and contractor hiccups. Contractor done or subbed out everything except for hvac, floor sanding, interior and exterior paint, trim, insulation, window restore and well rebuild. If I could find another I would do it again. I think it turns people off because they over do it by trying to add too many modern amenities. We wanted to redo the house and keep it the way is was originally unless it was a unsafe or comfort issue.
    Non Supporting Member

And we put $150k in it
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rodandgun83 View Post
    And we put $150k in it
    Except $150k in 2000 is about $400k now

I take Glenns approach. I redid one house. Wore out 3 heat guns peeling off 200 layers of paint. I told my wife until i had the money to walk in and say "looks good, ya'll keep up the good work", i'll never build or redo shit.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Unless it's in Waco, TX and you can afford Chip and Joanna, don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I still like old home renovations.

Only thing that’s changed with my house since I posted in this thread in February, is that the market value is higher now and I could probably get another $50k.

Charlie you got the wrong tool on that job. Shoulda used a match, cleanups way easier.
    cut\'em