Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banks feeders

Default Banks feeders

I put one of the 300lber's out about 4 weeks ago. Cut off a tree in an area I kept baited all during deer season. I have been out several different times and slung corn around the perimeter several times and stayed out of there the rest of the time. I have yet to have a deer eat from it or even be on the frame in the background eating. At this point I would be satisfied with a pic of a deer looking at it and running away from it. This same group of deer will dang near walk up on a flat eco trailer in the backyard and eat corn off it. What gives.? You guys that are using them, did you have any tricks or time frame it took to get the deer used to them?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Put up 2 300# feeders about 1 month before last season. 2 separate properties about 20 miles apart. It took yearling bucks about 10-14 days before they would eat from it. Mature bucks were eating from it by mid October. Those big headed does would not get close to it until mid December. I can’t keep anything in it now. The 1 at the other property hasn’t had a deer come within 20 yds of it all season. To my knowledge not many feeders in this area. Put loose or cob on the ground and it’s devoured in 2 days. Gonna give it til spring then pull it out and put it at another spot. I’ll just go back to throwing it on the ground in this area.

Also, go ahead and get you something on your post to keep the coons and tree rats off of it. I’ve got pics of coons doing pull ups on the ports and even a couple pics of a squirrel sitting inside the port eating his fill.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

High fence. Like 14'. Then, what else they gonna eat?

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    Put up 2 300# feeders about 1 month before last season. 2 separate properties about 20 miles apart. It took yearling bucks about 10-14 days before they would eat from it. Mature bucks were eating from it by mid October. Those big headed does would not get close to it until mid December. I can’t keep anything in it now. The 1 at the other property hasn’t had a deer come within 20 yds of it all season. To my knowledge not many feeders in this area. Put loose or cob on the ground and it’s devoured in 2 days. Gonna give it til spring then pull it out and put it at another spot. I’ll just go back to throwing it on the ground in this area.

Also, go ahead and get you something on your post to keep the coons and tree rats off of it. I’ve got pics of coons doing pull ups on the ports and even a couple pics of a squirrel sitting inside the port eating his fill.
    Yeah, I got an old piece of stove pipe I need to get put on it. It just amazes me that they will eat off my driveway next to the house while we are walking by the windows and my kids are beating on them and screaming at them but yet 800yds through the woods where they are off the ground all year they won't go near it. May put the thing in the yard.

I use them and I’d bet that yours is to high in the air.

Stop feeding around it
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Have a buddy that has 6 feeders. Put them out 4 years ago. One of them has deer eating out of it after 4 years. The other 5 are great squirrel feeders. Tried all kinds of tricks but to no avail. You can pour corn on the ground 75 yards from it and they will eat 2 bags per night.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Stop feeding around it
    That seemed to speed up the process with the does. Once I just left the damm thing alone the ladies finally got used to it.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I've went in there twice and slung 20lbs of corn or so in a 20yd radius around it. That's in a 4 week span. The ports are about 40 inches off the ground. They say cut your tree off at 5ft. When I did that it seemed way too high so I cut some more off of it

We put 2 up in southern Spartanburg county last year. It took a few months for them to get used to it. On the last day of the season I hunted the last 2 hours in the afternoon. I had 7 bucks eating out of the feeder. The coons and squirrels like it to. We installed the metal varmint guards like you see on a wood duck box after deer season and it took the deer another month to get comfortable again. I really like them and the best part is no battery....

we run 4 of them all summer,feeding protien...will take a little time to get them used to it,but when they do,they will wear them out .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by DUCK BUSTER 68 View Post
    we run 4 of them all summer,feeding protien...will take a little time to get them used to it,but when they do,they will wear them out .
    What protein are you using? When I tried using protein in mine from the local milling company, I guess the moisture content was too high because it would end up gumming up at the feed ports and would get all moldy inside. You talk about a mess then.

Also to VG I didn't use any tricks to get the deer to eat from mine, just give it time. I've got 4 300lb feeders and they use to last about a month once full of corn, now its more like 2-3 weeks tops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I run corn mixed with pellets. Pure pellets doesn’t get eaten fast enough to prevent breakdown this time of year. Mid summer I can back off the corn some

I mixed corn with record rack. Tractor supply had a bag of big tine on sale so I threw it in. It smelled like cherry lip gloss and had a big buck on the bag. I figured that has to be worth something

Cut your losses and sell it to a chicken nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    What protein are you using? When I tried using protein in mine from the local milling company, I guess the moisture content was too high because it would end up gumming up at the feed ports and would get all moldy inside. You talk about a mess then.

Also to VG I didn't use any tricks to get the deer to eat from mine, just give it time. I've got 4 300lb feeders and they use to last about a month once full of corn, now its more like 2-3 weeks tops.

Purina antler max is the best protein feed I’ve found for staying fresh. Antler xtreme made the biggest mess I’ve ever seen in the feed ports. If your local ag supply is a purina dealer they can have it delivered by the pallet. My supply gives a 6% discount if he doesn’t have to bust the pallet apart, so that’s how we buy.

VG - just give it time. I have a few feeders that have been out over a year and the 3.5+ bucks still won’t touch it.

ETA: I run 50/50 purina and corn this time of year then bump to 75/25 purina and corn in the summer. Been working well.
    Last edited by wiz18; 02-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.

We run purina antler advantage 20...20% protien,and mix 50/50 with corn to start em out,then switch to all pellets after a couple fill ups . This year,were gonna add a bag of roasted soybeans per fill up .

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Cut your losses and sell it to a chicken nerd.
    on a short pole
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

How much y'all seeing roasted soybeans for?

They are a little pricey...can get them from the midwest for $10-11 per bag , but shipping about doubles it . Found some local late last summer , but sems like they were around 19-20 per bag if i remember correctly . Hope to work out a better deal for a pallet .