Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Dog Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I’m in the upstate and if I were to send a dog off, it would go here: http://www.toplineretrievers.com/
    X4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

When I do get another it will be Chris Meeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    I’m in the upstate and if I were to send a dog off, it would go here: http://www.toplineretrievers.com/
    x5

A shock collar is not a punishment device. Think of it as a long check cord. My dog listens fairly well. He listens even better wearing a shock collar set on 3 out of 18. I encourage you to find a good trainer and be open minded about all training techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    When I do get another it will be Chris Meeks.
    He is a great trainer. He loves training dogs and it shows in his work. I could not be more pleased with the work he did for me.

I know ill probably get bashed for saying this... but do it yourself. Get that chris akin dvd duck dog basics. Dont say you dont have time to mess with it. It really only takes a little of your time. His dvd is great and explains it well.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    I know ill probably get bashed for saying this... but do it yourself. Get that chris akin dvd duck dog basics. Dont say you dont have time to mess with it. It really only takes a little of your time. His dvd is great and explains it well.
    This is not bad advice either. Akin’s stuff is great and very easy to follow. It’s very rewarding if you’re patient enough to do it and follow through with it.
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    A shock collar is not a punishment device. Think of it as a long check cord. My dog listens fairly well. He listens even better wearing a shock collar set on 3 out of 18. I encourage you to find a good trainer and be open minded about all training techniques.
    This^ I tell folks that the e-collar on my dogs is power steering and power brakes.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    This is not bad advice either. Akin’s stuff is great and very easy to follow. It’s very rewarding if you’re patient enough to do it and follow through with it.

If you go this route that last part is very important. Nobody wants to hunt with a dog that is half ass trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    If you go this route that last part is very important. Nobody wants to hunt with a dog that is half ass trained.
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Serious question to the OP and others. Why would someone prefer a dog trained without an E collar? I don't see any dis advantage to using a collar for training. Now if you are dependent on a shock collar in order to half way control your dog, then yes I can see the down side but that also seems like a half way trained dog to begin with.
    As a former “anti collar” person, I had only heard the bad about collars. Some people don’t want their dog to ever feel pain and these folks also call their dogs their “babies”. After one season with both my dogs, I realized that dogs are a lot tougher than I realize. If they are retrieving, they are happy. You could send them on a retrieve over a bed of nails and they would still think it’s the best thing. Sitting on a dog stand with ice hanging off their balls is fun for them. Once I realized this, I realized that my dogs could care less about a little pressure from the collar. Especially if it made them able to retrieve more ducks when it counted. You can train without one a collar. I tried and realized I could do better with a little help from technology. This is my 10 year old golden that was finished with a collar. We don’t hunt with a collar anymore, but he is a joy to hunt with. He retrieved this two man limit with ease. 2068598B-370C-47C7-B55C-13B8FC0548F5.jpg

You could also join The Retriever Trainer and get any info you need to train a very nice gun dog.

check out topline retrievers x6 Tell Colby that Rhett sent you
    Last edited by HuntinCosta; 02-04-2021 at 09:05 PM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Do not take on the task of training your dog yourself unless you are fully prepared. It is a huge commitment and you don’t realize it until you’re in it. Time, money, reading training books, etc...it’s an everyday commitment. If you half ass it you’ll regret it.

I self trained mine but I was in a stage of life where I could easily do it. Single, was able to take the dog to work with me regularly, had plenty of free time after work/lunch breaks to do training. Was building a project in Pickens and can’t count the number of times I went up to the park and did little sessions at lunch. If I was in a different stage of life with kids, after-school activities, weekends full, etc... I would seriously consider sending a dog to a trainer who can put in the time and training that your dog deserves.
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 02-04-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    If you go this route that last part is very important. Nobody wants to be around a dog that is half ass trained.
    Fixed it or you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Top Line Retrievers is a great choice! www.toplineretrievers.com

I have to keep my training collars out of sight until we are ready to start the hunt. If I pull them out early, the dogs go nuts with excitement. They associate collars with attention and fun.

I remember my mother's reaction to shock collars the first time I showed her one. She said, "Where were those when I was trying to raise three little boys?"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have to keep my training collars out of sight until we are ready to start the hunt. If I pull them out early, the dogs go nuts with excitement. They associate collars with attention and fun.

I remember my mother's reaction to shock collars the first time I showed her one. She said, "Where were those when I was trying to raise three little boys?"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yep my dogs go crazy when they see them cause they associate it to fun. A collar used correctly is much easier on a dog than applying pressure amish style. Also I good trainer near you is Billy Mosley at Avery Creek in Boiling Springs.

I'm not sure a shock collar is a good idea, better consider citronella bark collar.
    Just making sure, first thing we like to check here is the old adage ""a tired dog is a good dog"".

Definitely ask your obedience trainer about it. If possible also try to figure out with a behaviourist or on your own what the root cause of the barking is, since there can be many reasons. Once you know why she is barking, it will be a lot easier to figure out how to remedy it.

A can of whoopass remedies barking.