Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Dog Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    A can of whoopass remedies barking.
    Fact.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by rayshow View Post
    I'm not sure a shock collar is a good idea, better consider citronella bark collar.
    Just making sure, first thing we like to check here is the old adage ""a tired dog is a good dog"".

Definitely ask your obedience trainer about it. If possible also try to figure out with a behaviourist or on your own what the root cause of the barking is, since there can be many reasons. Once you know why she is barking, it will be a lot easier to figure out how to remedy it.
    A scented candle and essential oils may help as well. You can also wait till the dog is not barking to go out and reward it. You will have a fine retriever in no less than six years

I've never trained with a collar just because I've never learned how. A man that has time to socialize his dog well can do that but I can't see how a professional trainer can train that many without the assistance of a collar. And I have seen some shell shocked dogs in he past due to the collar but that seems to be in the past for the most part. I have in recent years seen some fine retrievers that were all trained using a collar.

I know this is an older thread but I can tell you that an intelligent dog trained to an e collar is a beautiful and humane thing. My dogs are trained to a wireless invisible fence and neither now have a need to wear the e collar to respect the boundary. I use the collar on. limited bases in retriever training but almost never in the field. However, some dogs will run through an invisible fence and will ignore an electric chair's worth of shock, especially if the person operating it is not themselves trained in its operation.

If you have ever watched a dog being forced-fetched trained, then you will understand that the collar is not nearly the worse thing that can be done to a dog. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero