Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boss shot shells

Well I be.... I missed that.

Well, back to the drawing board on my duck loads, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I knew it was too good to be true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Nothing good lasts forever unfortunately
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Nothing good lasts forever unfortunately
    No shit. After years and years of searching for the best duck medicine on the planet...Kent, federal, winchester, browning, fancy shit this, fancy shit that. I found the duck killingest load ever developed. $89 a case, delivered to my door. Rio/Rogers #3’s 1400 FPS. I break out a box in the garage and I hear ducks falling out the sky bouncing off the roof.
    Couple people told me recently they out of business. No joke. That stuff whacked them dead and after about 10 cases never had a single misfire.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

Well, back to the drawing board on my duck loads, I guess.
    Handload steel #1's in the 10 bore. Choked appropriately will kill ducks farther than most can shoot. 1.5oz of #1 at 1500 fps gives you hevishot performance for $12 a box.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    No shit. After years and years of searching for the best duck medicine on the planet...Kent, federal, winchester, browning, fancy shit this, fancy shit that. I found the duck killingest load ever developed. $89 a case, delivered to my door. Rio/Rogers #3’s 1400 FPS. I break out a box in the garage and I hear ducks falling out the sky bouncing off the roof.
    Couple people told me recently they out of business. No joke. That stuff whacked them dead and after about 10 cases never had a single misfire.
    I'm on a federal blue box kick myself. I like Drylok's too, but they're more expensive.... ultimately you gotta shoot in front of the ducks. No amount of missing behind a bird, or shooting their butt off is going to bring satisfaction. $89/case shells in the hands of a capable shooter are infinitely better than $30 a box shells in the hands of someone incompetent.

Sold my 10 guage as it never got used. There ain't nothing I can kill with 1 1/2oz or less of tungsten.

No way I'm going back to steel. I've dedicated myself to become a better shooter as a result. $2+/ shell will do crazy things to ya. Including killing more birds with less shells.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    .... in the hands of a capable shooter.
    This has been a big point for me. And I've plateaud. Time to step up my game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ain’t gonna lie. I fuck shit up. 20-55 yards. Shit dead. I flat out wreck waterfowl. Or quail, chukar, Huns.
    Shooting straight makes you a hero or zero. Rounds ain’t the magic bullet. Good shooting is
    Last edited by sprigdog; 02-06-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Good luck getting that point across to this one.

Dense ain't the word

Last edited by willyworm; 02-07-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't think Rio is out of business.

Rio is definitely not out of business. I know some folks that are sponsored by Rio in sporting clays. Just FYI, Maxim is the parent company and they are the biggest manufacturer of shotshells in the world. They have many brands under their name, Eley, Rio, Caledonian, Kamen, Saga.

And yes, the best shell in the hands of a poor shooter is useless. Getting lessons helps. Having a decent fitting shotgun helps. And practicing the shots that you struggle with helps. Buying top quality ammo and chokes is easy. Actually spending time and money to improve your skills is the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Rio is definitely not out of business. I know some folks that are sponsored by Rio in sporting clays. Just FYI, Maxim is the parent company and they are the biggest manufacturer of shotshells in the world. They have many brands under their name, Eley, Rio, Caledonian, Kamen, Saga.

And yes, the best shell in the hands of a poor shooter is useless. Getting lessons helps. Having a decent fitting shotgun helps. And practicing the shots that you struggle with helps. Buying top quality ammo and chokes is easy. Actually spending time and money to improve your skills is the hard part.
    Whew!! I’ll keep checking Rogers and when back in stock, I’ll buy 20-30 cases.

Blasphemy about lessons and good fitting guns. Out right ridiculous.
    It is way cooler to tell your buds, “we got 5, but if we shot better we could of at least had 10!”
    If I had a quarter every time I heard that!
    I will admit, high dollar shells result in way less neck ringing.
    I like the cheap shit otherwise my dog would probably be fat.

I will admit, high dollar shells result in way less neck ringing.
    And kill shots.

And you pick up more birds. I mean, who wants to brag about how many birds they crippled?

Last edited by willyworm; 02-07-2021 at 09:58 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And kill shots.

And you pick up more birds? I mean, who wants to brag about how many birds they crippled?

I can assure you the birds I shoot at get picked up. I think I lost a bird 3 weeks ago. Tide was ripping and I chose not to send dog on the 2nd bird of a double.
    Let me pat myself on the back. My kill to shot ratio is incredible with cheap shells.
    Yep. Patting myself on the back.

Oh, I know.

That first question mark was misplaced. It was a general statement at the every day novice hunter that doesn't touch their gun from Feb to Sept. Not directed at a seasoned waterfowler like yourself.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, I know.

That first question mark was misplaced. It was a general statement at the every day novice hunter that doesn't touch their gun from Feb to Sept. Not directed at a seasoned waterfowler like yourself.

Copy. It ain’t about being a seasoned waterfowler. It’s about dedicating so much time, money and energy into the pursuit of fowl, why short change yourself on the desired outcome??
    We buy high dollar decoys, we get up at 0230, run boats miles in the dark, spend thousands on dogs that sit, stay, come.
    $1500 on shotguns, frequent Internet forums that have like minded people who obsess about fowl, then we show up on opening day not firing a shell since last season.
    Guess the point I tried to make earlier, is if killing ducks is that important, why not be good at the most important part of killing ducks. Pulling the trigger. Gander made the point.

I agree to every letter of that! Which again amazes me that people will spend insanely ridiculous amounts of money on gear, land/leases, trucks, boats, guns, licenses, Sitka branded this and that, then go cheap on ammo. I don't apologize for spending my money on the vastly superior pellets I sling at ducks. They work for me. Steel sucks and no one will change my mind. That weak link is outta my equation. I've fit my guns to me. Checked that box too.

To your point, taking it a huge step further (the most important of all in my mind) is not shooting.

Coach told me a long time ago, you play like you practice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agreed. You do what best works for you. I applaud that.

I’ll keep slinging $8.99 a box of crap steel and will expect the same results.
    The second those results don’t work I’ll explore option B.
    Plus, I can’t afford $3000 in shells a year!!!! I’m living on a pension
    Last edited by sprigdog; 02-07-2021 at 10:56 PM.