Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boss shot shells

That ring neck flew a long way and just got BLASTED.

I bought a couple of boxes of the shorty 12g #5's. They worked well for me. I didn't shoot any paper with them.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Shot them in my 20ga the last two seasons. 3” 5s. Good stuff. FYI when patterning bismuth likes tight. Shooting a light full out of mine.
    Very true. Forgot to add this.

Aren't those the copper plated bismuth?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-05-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Aren't those the copper plated bismuth?

Yep
    80-20 Genaration

If I recall bismuth is just shy of the density of lead... lot better then steel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Solid advice. Just a complete waste of money.
    You serious? I’m confused

Only shot worth shooting
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    You serious? I’m confused
    Don’t mind him. He just don’t want you buying up all of his shells.

If I recall bismuth is just shy of the density of lead... lot better then steel.

tungsten_density_chart.jpg
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I shot the Kent Bismuth 4s this year with great results, but plan to try the Boss next year. Everything I have seen has been positive and you can actually get them a bit cheaper than the Kent. The Bismuth 4s even stoned a late season goose with no issue.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Don't recall exactly but maybe 15 max....
    Inches?
    Go Tigers!!!

Looks like I gave bismuth a bit too much credit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks like I gave bismuth a bit too much credit.
    At 15-17 bucks per pound, bismuth is a little too expensive for my taste at 9.4-9.6 g/cc IMHO.

Steel shot is 2 bucks per pounds at 7.8 g/cc.

From what I've seen in the field, the only advantage to bismuth is it's open "lead-like" patterns on decoying birds.... it leaves a little more room for error.

I have bought and shot bismuth. My hunting buddies have bought and shot bismuth. But ultimately, my conclusion has been this: Understand the limitations of steel shot and enjoy paying $2/lb for steel shot. Or go ahead and spend big money and shoot tungsten at $25/lb +. Bismuth being a less than lead density and still pretty frangible just gives less than ideal performance.

If there is a niche for bismuth, its in the subgauges where pellet count is crucial and you are loading smaller payloads. I.E. 28 gauge

Agreed. I load the #7 SpheroTungsten 15g/cc for a good bit less than these Boss rounds cost. Been very pleased, with no plans to go back so long as I can continue to get components.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm pretty sure that Ballistic products bought the remainder of federals supply when they discontinued the heavyweight-15 line of turkey shells. I doubt that stuff is coming back so enjoy shooting what you got.

Never bought any from Federal, didn't even know they offered it. Always procured it from BP for hand loading.

Reason I even turned to hand loading is cause I got spoiled by tungsten when I swore off steel and refused to pay retail for the stuff. So I was shopping for a HS shot alternative, as what they wanted was ridiculous especially when there were better, more cost effective alternatives. Looked at ITX and ITX-13 but I could spend about the same and go up to 15. Figured why not.

It's been a godsend. Hand loading has made shooting my 16 much more affordable. And it's therapeutic thus helping maintain my sanity. So there's immeasurable value there.

So as long as BP continues carrying the SpheroT-15, I'll keep buying it. Thinking I'll just go ahead and drop the coin to get the 20# bag and be set for long while.

Last edited by willyworm; 02-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So as long as BP continues carrying the SpheroT-15, I'll keep buying it. Thinking I'll just go ahead and drop the coin to get the 20# bag and be set for long while.
    You missed me on my comment, so I will rephrase. Federal never sold their HW-15 shot for handloading. Federal discontinued their Heavyweight-15 shell lineup, and replaced it with their TSS lineup. The remaining HW-15 shot that federal had - that was not loaded into shells - they sold to Ballistic Products. Ballistic products rebranded they "Heavyweight"-15 as "sphero-15". Now ballistic products has sold all of it, and its gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Now ballistic products has sold all of it, and its gone.
    Pretty sure I caught what you were saying. But I just checked their site... BP has the 15 in stock. Unless I missed something.

Last edited by willyworm; 02-06-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

All i see is a 1 pound jar and a 20 pound bag.... both Out of Stock