Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The South Carolina Gobbler

A 20lber in the low country is a fullgrown model.

I have killed a couple in Oconee county that were maybe 22 or 23lbs. Maybe.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Kinda funny but I usually only weigh the gobblers that are in the 12-14lb range. I love those dark colored, long-spurred, swamp midgets. And, I'm convinced that they are the original SC low country turkey.
    The only bird I have mounted is one of these birds you speak of. Triple bearded 1 3/8 inch spurs and weighed 15 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    The only bird I have mounted is one of these birds you speak of. Triple bearded 1 3/8 inch spurs and weighed 15 lbs.
    Was his name “dildo” by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Was his name “dildo” by chance?

Negative. That shit ass rotted in the woods I killed him in after I cleaned him on the tailgate of my truck

Killed one 24# in upstate years ago. I took it to an old country store and their scales said 26, I then went and got a second opinion scale wise lol

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Not interested in all those off brand whatevers y'all chase from Mexico to Canada. Just our native bird.
    I
    What is the absolute heaviest that a wild SC gobbler is capable of tipping the scales at? 25 pounds? 26? 30?
    Not sure of heaviest possible but I’ve killed two at 24 in my hunting career here and was bested by my son who killed a 25lber. Neighbors had been feeding it black sunflower seeds. A full grown woods bird here in the Piedmont will run 19-20 during spring following a good mast crop, fields birds (not crop land) a couple pounds heavier. A 20lb+ woods bird is generally a hammer imo here. Deer baiting probably skews things some too.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles