Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: backpack water purification

Thank you for all the replys and ideas. I'll be researching this weekend. Another question? Would it be overkill to add purification tablets to the filtered water?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Thank you for all the replys and ideas. I'll be researching this weekend. Another question? Would it be overkill to add purification tablets to the filtered water?
    Steri-pen eliminates the need to iodine and purification tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Steri-pen eliminates the need to iodine and purification tabs.
    Gotcha.thank you

That water looks nasty. You mean it cleans water that looks like that ?

61DjupYek-L._AC_SX466_.jpg
    Last edited by ccleroy; 02-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

If you are gone from your truck from daylight to dark out west, and you don’t have a turkey, you are not in the right area or the wind is blowing 50, or both.

From daylight to dark, out west, in May, is a long long time.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Filter will, pen won’t. Pen kills bacteria doesn’t remove sediment. That’s got to be an advertisement, cause if you’re filtering water that dirty it will clog fast. Once clogged, they never flow as good as new even when flushed multiple times.
    But they’re cheap.
    Last edited by FLS; 02-03-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Take a bottle of iodine for back up.

Im just impressed I haven't thirsted or starved to death yet during an all day adventure.

When your “all day adventure” involves SC summers and a bush axe you’ll
    Change your tune.

What's the water taste like after it goes through that thing?

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    What's the water taste like after it goes through that thing?
    Pretty much the same as it did before, just without the sand or bacteria that would cause you issues. You will still taste the tannins and what not. Good moving water tastes fine, puddles taste like puddles.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Speaking of bush axe, I found a 2.5-3 foot long solid ceramic cylinder that you can just about wrap 2 hands around laying in the road the other day. I guess it would be some sort of electricity component. All I could think of is that it would make a great bush axe sharpener. Anyone know what it might be?

No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    When your “all day adventure” involves SC summers and a bush axe you’ll
    Change your tune.
    I think this is a turkey hunting discussion and not work related. But you can explain to me about cutting lines with a bush ax and all that ditch water you need to filter because a bottle of water is inaccessible if you want.

Agree.

Me.<<<<<<<<lots of distance>>>>>>>Dirty scum water.

I drink out of our river and creeks without filtration and always have. Lucky or accustomed I am sure I don't know. People I do know that have had giardia report that it seriously blows...

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I think this is a turkey hunting discussion and not work related. But you can explain to me about cutting lines with a bush ax and all that ditch water you need to filter because a bottle of water is inaccessible if you want.
    Yes ma’am.

I'm kind of going against the grain here but this is my go to for day trips and expedition trips. Mini Works EX by MSR. It is a pump style and I feel like it is has better filtration than the emergency use filters. It will clean the water in that muddy bottle above and it will taste clean. It will clog the filter eventually but it will do the trick. When you get home from each trip you will want to soak the filter for a while in non contaminated water then backflush the filter and dry it out before storage. I have one I have used regularly for a decade. I have many filters that I own and use but if I had one that would do everything this is the one I would choose. MSR is an easy company to deal with as well. I have had a filter housing freeze and crack on me before. The first night into a 5 day trek. Luckily my hiking partner had an emergency filter that got us through. I always take the filter out and put it in a Nalgene at night anymore. I drink alot of Congaree River water through the Mini Works.

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatm...ter/56425.html

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    If you are gone from your truck from daylight to dark out west, and you don’t have a turkey, you are not in the right area or the wind is blowing 50, or both.

From daylight to dark, out west, in May, is a long long time.
    just trying to plan for any circumstances that come up. Plus I like buying gadgets and I've already got at least 3 turkey calls for every pocket on the vest.

I have a mini works and a Katadyn hand pump filter.. I shoulda used the money to buy beer instead. Idea was , when moosin' one tends to be surrounded by lakes, ponds a dozens of streams and rivers. We always seem to run out of drinking water. Any locally dipped water is used for cooking or coffee so it's boiled anyway and still tastes terrible. Pump a liitle unit till you need a nap and the water still tastes terrible . Strain it through a dirty sock then boil the shit out of it. You won't know the difference.
    Last edited by HARV; 02-04-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    I'm kind of going against the grain here but this is my go to for day trips and expedition trips. Mini Works EX by MSR. It is a pump style and I feel like it is has better filtration than the emergency use filters. It will clean the water in that muddy bottle above and it will taste clean. It will clog the filter eventually but it will do the trick. When you get home from each trip you will want to soak the filter for a while in non contaminated water then backflush the filter and dry it out before storage. I have one I have used regularly for a decade. I have many filters that I own and use but if I had one that would do everything this is the one I would choose. MSR is an easy company to deal with as well. I have had a filter housing freeze and crack on me before. The first night into a 5 day trek. Luckily my hiking partner had an emergency filter that got us through. I always take the filter out and put it in a Nalgene at night anymore. I drink alot of Congaree River water through the Mini Works.

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatm...ter/56425.html
    You about had me convinced, and I had located one at Moosejaw for $10 less with free shipping, but decided to check some recent reviews. It would appear that MSR has lowered their quality in recent years vs what they used to be known for. It's a real shame as this sounded like it would be worth it to have in the pack. Your older model is apparently much better made than some out there now. Thanks anyway!

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/msr..._MSR&ad_id=P2P
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 02-04-2021 at 03:17 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'