Thread: 13’ Whaler project

Default 13’ Whaler project

I am going to re-power a 13 foot whaler and was wondering if anyone on here had one and, if so, what motor you are running. This is an early 80s hull so it has the taller transom and will take a long shaft motor. I’m leaning towards a Yamaha 40 but my kids will be driving it so I am considering dropping down to a 30. If I do the 30, I will probably go with a Suzuki since it is about 60 pounds lighter. The 30 hp Yamaha is the same weight as the 40, so no advantage to the 30 Yamaha in my opinion. The boat had a 25 on it when I got it but I never ran it so I don’t really have any experience with that setup. I will be setting it up with the “classic” 13 whaler configuration with bench seats and a side console. Any input is appreciated. The boat will be used for tooling around the creeks at Edisto. We have a bigger boat for skiing and tubing so don’t really need a bigger motor for that.

I have also had a dealer recommend the Tohatsu motors but I have zero experience with them and would be open to thoughts on those, as well. I think they carry a five year warranty which is attractive. Thanks.

I think those Tohatsu motors are strong from everything I’ve read. I have no personal experience but I’m going to be in the market soon and they’re at the top of my list with a Yamaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

The other nice thing I noted about the Tohatsu is that it comes with the controls and you have to buy those separate with the Yamaha, I believe.

talk to JOHNSON

i think his was a 13 footer and it was pretty easy to flip in breech inlet....

or so i was told.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

That’s encouraging...

I will give him a call, thanks

i think it was "over-powered"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Repowered on with a 30 Yamaha. Plenty but took off a 40 that was awesome....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I had a 9.9 Tohatsu that was great and i sold to a member on here. A friend has a 25 and has zero issues out of it. I wouldn’t think twice about buying another one.

I just finished restoring a 1970 13'. I went w 25 yamaha short shaft bc it was the lightest I could find. A lot of the 4 strokes especially older ones are really heavy and make the boat sit heavy in the back. I agree w you that you don't need the "most" motor you can get. If it's not fast enough you are in the wrong boat.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Tohatsu 30 is the lighest at 157lbs, with the mercury coming in second by about 20lbs difference at 172lbs. In that size range either choice would be good. They are both sub 200lbs. When you step up to the 40hp you break 200lbs with both. Pick which ever one you can find someone to work on easily over the life of you owning the motor.

Put a 40 on it & be done. With all the apps you can set rules on speed with your kids. We did with my youngest till he got to a certain age, he now goes all over Chas Harbor with his 40hp yamaha on his high tide. Also make them pay the gas, they won't run hooked up long

I have a 69 with small transom. Have a yam 25 short shaft for weight. As someone said, if you want to go faster your in the wrong boat.

Look around on hull truth and other forums and youll find plenty of info.

I have a Tohatsu 40 that I purchased brand new in 2012, i have had zero issues with it knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i think it was "over-powered"
    There is no such thing.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

My Whaler had a Honda 40 that almost rolled over on me once. It finally did roll over on my buddy in Breach Inlet. Bucket of suck.

Ask Tom Hughes about them. That is the only boat he wouldn’t test drive after having one roll over on him.

I have a 13 whaler that had a 50 on it. It was over powered.

Edit- it had the cable pulley steering as well, one of the cable clamps came loose once when I was running in the south edisto, almost a bad day

IMG_20170721_131146290_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by BET; 02-03-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Sounds kid friendly!

Good luck Kirk!

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    My Whaler had a Honda 40 that almost rolled over on me once. It finally did roll over on my buddy in Breach Inlet. Bucket of suck.

Ask Tom Hughes about them. That is the only boat he wouldn’t test drive after having one roll over on him.
    I remember that day... we went back to fishing and I caught my biggest red to date. My phone and tackle box went to the bottom as well.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

My buddy had a 13 Whaler with a 35 Evinrude tiller and it was squirrely af