Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: D Watson traded to Patriots

Well, stop commenting too with your pious self.

I do as I please. My comments are about the contracts not Watson.

Those type of contracts are made to be broken and mitigate the damage to each party. Nothing new except some homers are bitter Watson played for Clemson. Something that will never heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Not saying Watson isn't great, but that stat is why numbers can say what you want them to. They just kept adding things to try to get to an elite list. You could make those numbers say whatever. Move the number to 12 interceptions and adds people, blah blah.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/

You are welcome to look at the NFL passing leaders and see who is on top of that list if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Part of me gets it. If you hate working at McDonald’s you are free to quit and go apply at Wendy’s. But, the GM needs to be able to generally manage the way he sees fit without worry of blowback from his quarterback. A QB is just a link in the chain. I hope he has either A) we’re not trading you so no need to dump your season tickets to the astros or B) you are free to walk away but your paycheck will be stopped thereafter.

A hard dose of reality would serve some of these pro sports players well.

I agree, have always thought it should be like this but I can see where you have a few teams that are loaded year after year due to Owners having much deeper pockets than others or more willing to spend

I still see him ending up with Jets

Do not blame DW for wanting out of Houston, he has given it all he has and when they traded away Hopkins(arguably best WR in NFL) plus an O line that is pathetic by NFL standards I would want me ass out of there as well. Through on top of that the ownership is USuC Alumni
    Last edited by tprice; 02-04-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Life is too short to have a job with a terrible boss and surrounded by a bad team. No matter where you work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Life is too short to have a job with a terrible boss and surrounded by a bad team. No matter where you work.
    Maybe next time he can just sign a 1 year deal.......or something even simpler......charge them by the game.... one amount for a win, a reduced amount for a loss, and zero if you don't play.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Through on top of that the ownership is USuC Alumni

The former owner, who drafted Watson and Hopkins, was a USC graduate. The current owner, his wife, is a Columbia College grad. The CEO, Cal McNair played football at Texas, and graduated from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Maybe next time he can just sign a 1 year deal.......or something even simpler......charge them by the game.... one amount for a win, a reduced amount for a loss, and zero if you don't play.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Nawh. His agent worked a nice deal. NFL contracts are like a hunting leases, they are good until the owners decides to sell.

You make a point. But the other side of the coin is what I was always taught: character isn't developed in good and easy times. The whole argument about how football or the military builds character is not from being successful but not quitting during a losing game or season, etc...

I do recognize the business aspect of the NFL mitigates my argument, though. I can see Watson's side of things, trust me.

I understand why some see this as a character issue. Without reading the terms of the contract it is difficult to say. Most have escape clauses. I worked under contract for 10 years and both parties agreed to a 90 days notice. The GM was terrible I often weighted a 90 day notice. During the Bush deep recession they closed, I was in sales and 2nd highest paid so I was terminated first. They forgot the contract. I hired an attorney and won 45 days salary. I was hired in the next 2 weeks and started work 4 weeks later so I mitigated some of the damages.

If I was playing behind the Texans o-line I think I would choose my health.

If I was playing behind the Texans o-line I think I would choose my health.
    The best of offensive lines can still leave a QB horribly injured. Aikman comes to mind. Gracious, the hit Wilbur Marshall gave him. Or the knee to the head Dennis Brown delivered. Both scrambled his eggs, requiring him to leave the game.

Norm Van Brocklin used to kick his linemen when back in the huddle after a sack. LOL.

Honestly, I can't imagine mobile guys like Watson, Newton, or Jackson ever getting hit solidly enough to be an Aikman. Those guys are as adept at avoiding killer hits as any running back.

And Deshaun Watson has more character in his big toe than I have in my whole body. I didn't mean to imply he didn't have any. I was merely saying that pulling the escape cord is something "we" were discouraged to do in trying life circumstances. It's different for him in many ways because this is not just a game but a job. I can see both sides of this argument.