Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D Watson traded to Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    No way I give up that much for a single player, but I am not running a team. Trades like that haven’t worked well in the past. Herschel was mentioned. Ricky Williams is another that comes to mind.
    Didn't read the replies past yours, so I don't know if it's been said, but the Cowboys (ultimately) won three rings because of ol' Herschel. I'd say they came out WAY on top with that one.

Being paid is not enough. Some want to win and put themselves in the best chance to win a Super Bowl. I agree that Houston can decide when and if they want to trade him, but he does get to dictate where he goes. I’m not one to agree that players shouldn’t have any say in a situation like this especially when the brass said they would keep him in the loop.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-01-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Did DeQuan ever get the name Clemson changed bc of how racist it is?

Letting a 26-27yo you pay an ass of money to in order to get what he wants seems like a sound business decision.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Apples to oranges.

Comparing your job/employer to being the Texans QB/the NFL don't even make sense.
    Not attacking you but I am curious why the comparison doesn't make sense. The theme of Mr. Watson's complaint seems a common one in any kind of work environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Did DeQuan ever get the name Clemson changed bc of how racist it is?
    Bowers? Don't think he cared that much.

Dequan Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Being paid is not enough. Some want to win and put themselves in the best chance to win a Super Bowl. I agree that Houston can decide when and if they want to trade him, but he does get to dictate where he goes. I’m not one to agree that players shouldn’t have any say in a situation like this especially when the brass said they would keep him in the loop.
    I know Watson wants to win, but if he wanted to keep his options open, he shouldn't have signed a 4 year contract with guaranteed money. IMO, you shouldn't get to have it both ways. Once you sign a long-term contract, you should shut up and play. If you want to keep your options open, only sign 1 year deals

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    I know Watson wants to win, but if he wanted to keep his options open, he shouldn't have signed a 4 year contract with guaranteed money. IMO, you shouldn't get to have it both ways. Once you sign a long-term contract, you should shut up and play. If you want to keep your options open, only sign 1 year deals
    It’s not that easy. There isn’t a team in the NFL that would sign a one year contract with a 3 time pro bowler that is as young as he is. That would give him to much leverage.

But for shits and giggles I’ll play. If he didn’t sign the contract he has less leverage now. He would have no trade clause, so they could send him anywhere. If I wanted out, I would do exactly what he did. Get my guaranteed money and request a trade. Now I get my money and I get to pick who I’m traded to. Only downfall is they could refuse. My question is could he pay the 21 million penalty , “retire” and become a free agent. If he chose to do that.

Not saying I would agree with it, just curious as to if that would be an option.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-01-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its also being reported he is a stand up guy that got dicked by the Houston ownership and is worth millions of dollars bc of his talent on the football field.
    You better stop telling the truth

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Not attacking you but I am curious why the comparison doesn't make sense. The theme of Mr. Watson's complaint seems a common one in any kind of work environment.
    You good. I'm bored, so I'll bite.

But it's respective to his employer. I understand that some aspects of having a job are pretty universal; the employee showing up and doing his/her best effort, and the employer not being a complete shit bag, and paying the employees a fair wage commensurate to their performance and value to the organization.

It's like comparing a stripper and a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. They're selling the same general product (entertainment) in a way of thinking, but the terms of employment and working conditions therein of those 2 types of work are WAY different. So to compare the two is not sensible due to those differences. Same case here.

The NFL or any pro sport is not a normal means of employment. This is fundamentally obvious.

That being said, those aforementioned universal aspects still apply. Would you not agree that Deshaun showed up, did the best job within his ability and put his team in the best position to win? I mean, look at his stats he put up from this season alone compared to the top QBs of teams playing in the playoffs. And yet the Texans wonb like, what, 4 games? Something don't add up and it ain't Watson's fault.

If you/we can agree to most of that thus far, then there's the employer's obligation to keep their end of the deal by creating a work environment conducive to keeping your employee(s) happy. Cause let's face it, another universally accepted principle of employment from the employer's side is that "a happy employee is a good employee". McNair volunteered to engage DW4 on the search for a new coach and GM, he didn't ask for it... only for McNair to turn and not do the very thing he volunteered to do. Read the article I referenced below. It'll give a little more color to the picture.
    Watson had been assured by McNair that he would be involved in the process to hire a new coach and general manager and kept in the loop on the progress in those searches, but that didn't happen.
    Source: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...io-sources-say

So in summary, DW4 did his job by showing up, being the leader they paid him to be and playing well. McNair hasn't pulled through on his end by keeping his star player happy and building a solid team with solid coaches. McNair screwed him over by not getting him some protection, trading away his best receiver target Nuke to get only a washed up RB in return, and just in general not sucking at running a NFL team.

To take a normal everyday job like being a Project Manager at Acme Industries and compare it to being an employee of a NFL team, some of the concepts work, others simply don't.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-01-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

i'm getting confused.
    but i'm not sure how you bash deshaun for this. he has every right to ask to be traded. it just so happens he has some leverage.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I heard Jville could trade #1 and Urban rocks on w/ DW.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i'm getting confused.
    but i'm not sure how you bash deshaun for this. he has every right to ask to be traded. it just so happens he has some leverage.
    I personally don't have any issues with Watson and I'm sure he's a decent guy. I just get tired of professional athletes in general never being satisfied. They always talk about more money, wanting a better team or teammates, better environment, more equality with ownership, etc. Never satisfied to just do a good job and go home.

It is the way the game works. Owners play by the same rules. Remember Eli Manning willing to play for only certain teams and not honor the draft.

He may be a stand up guy, but he wasn't very good at standing on one leg.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I think he beat Carolina on one leg.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    I think he beat Carolina on one leg.
    That ain't saying much.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Dado and Watson left wounds that will never heal in Columbia.

Typical Union employee.

Thinks they could be the CEO but couldn’t run the lunch counter.

But that mouth. If you could harness that power it would power every Tesla in the world.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud