Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Briar overalls

I wore some Filson bibs back in the day, and they were heavy as hell. Indestructible but not functional.

Always wanted a pair of dans bibs but never wore out my filson single tin chaps. Worth every penny. Lightweight and waterproof if you keep the wax on em.

I would look on eBay for a pair of wick's. I've had a pair probably 15 years. Those along with the jacket and you can walk through briars like a greased pig.

Supposedly these are wicks reincarnated

https://www.stonecreekhounds.com/pro...uff-n-dry-bibs
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I have a pair of filson bibs and also a pair of double tin briar chaps. The bibs are too bulky and not great to walk around all day upland in. Would be more functional outside of hunting. The chaps are great and I will buy them for the rest of my life. Finally after six years I have to send in to get some holes stitched up at the bottom where my boots rub and I wear them pretty hard. Get the double tin and not the single tin if you go filson, and keep them waxed.

Dans makes pretty good quality stuff. I use their chaps pretty regularly and they have taken some abuse. I will say, I wish they had a snap or something at the bottom at the zipper to keep them from unzipping. I just roll them under one time to stop that from happening. I can’t speak for the bibs, but I’m sure they’re of them same quality. I can’t drop the coin on filson chaps because they’d be covered in blue paint and that just wouldn’t fly with me.

I think Dan’s, Filson, etc. would serve you well for what you’re wanting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

These work like a champ! Very lightweight and seem to be tough!

https://www.huntsmart.com/products/nlhab
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    I have a pair of filson bibs and also a pair of double tin briar chaps. The bibs are too bulky and not great to walk around all day upland in. Would be more functional outside of hunting. The chaps are great and I will buy them for the rest of my life. Finally after six years I have to send in to get some holes stitched up at the bottom where my boots rub and I wear them pretty hard. Get the double tin and not the single tin if you go filson, and keep them waxed.
    I tried on a pair of Filson Bibs just to.see how they felt and you're right..they dont feel like you would be able to move around all day hunting...probably nice to have for whatever reason, but not upland hunting.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Dog Food Center in South Congaree may serve you well. They carry a bunch of Dan’s apparel.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Nobody has ever regretted buying Filson
    I find them to be smaller then advertised, in everything. Shoulders are narrow AF in all shirts, sweaters, and jackets. Leg length is shorter than what is "normally" a 34-36 inseam.

That said...They're put together better than any other clothing I've purchased.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Phonedude, I have a part if Carhart bibs with briar cloth you're welcome to if you want them.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I hog hunt year round and would like to think I put my bibs to the test. Dan’s will make any style bib that you want in about 6-8 weeks. We hunt through the summer and most all bibs that you buy come with a water proof “blue” liner. This liner is fine in cold weather but will bake you in the summer. I had Dan’s make me a pair without the waterproof liner and instead they double the two layers of nylon. All around they are the best bibs I have ever owned. They aren’t too stiff and hold up better than average to normal briars. I had wick before they went out of business and later bought mule brand. Mule is very tough but they are like walking with cardboard pants on.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I hog hunt year round and would like to think I put my bibs to the test. Dan’s will make any style bib that you want in about 6-8 weeks. We hunt through the summer and most all bibs that you buy come with a water proof “blue” liner. This liner is fine in cold weather but will bake you in the summer. I had Dan’s make me a pair without the waterproof liner and instead they double the two layers of nylon. All around they are the best bibs I have ever owned. They aren’t too stiff and hold up better than average to normal briars. I had wick before they went out of business and later bought mule brand. Mule is very tough but they are like walking with cardboard pants on.
    Noted!
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by BugBuster View Post
    I was hoping one of you hog hunters would weigh in on this. Thats what i want. Lightweight, and not terribly hot
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Always been a Dan's guy stuff has held up for me
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC