Thread: Youth/veteran day hunts.

Default Youth/veteran day hunts.

Any of yall with duck ponds. As y’all know I’m working with a organization dedicated to get military out hunting. Would any of y’all be willing to allow active duty vets to shoot ducks on the 6 or the 13th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

I still forgot to call you back Dale... I wanted to help with this effort, and get some more info.

To all those reading this, don't think it needs to be a plantation or anything fancy, if all you have is a beaver pond, or hunt public water and have a bead on some birds along with have the willingness to host, offer it up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I still forgot to call you back Dale... I wanted to help with this effort, and get some more info.

To all those reading this, don't think it needs to be a plantation or anything fancy, if all you have is a beaver pond, or hunt public water and have a bead on some birds along with have the willingness to host, offer it up.

No worries, Miles. My memory is horrible and forgot. You can call anytime. This is also correct, if you just want to Host a few veterans are even 1 veteran we can work with that. Thanks again.

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Bump

maybe this is something all veterans know, and me being the non-vet have never encountered, but how does a veteran validate that they are a veteran if stopped by the green jeans? Thinking of taking my son on Saturday, but if a vet can tag along, may ask one of them I know who would enjoy it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    maybe this is something all veterans know, and me being the non-vet have never encountered, but how does a veteran validate that they are a veteran if stopped by the green jeans? Thinking of taking my son on Saturday, but if a vet can tag along, may ask one of them I know who would enjoy it as well.
    The question I have. Thinking I’ll take my DD-214 or honorable discharge certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    The regulations don’t say what you have to have. But if they’re not actively serving I would have dd214 or some proof of service. I’m active duty so I’ll have my id

My question is, if I’m not a vet but have a place to take someone, can I accompany them as long as I don’t have a gun.

Most vets these days carry some flavor of ID, whether it be a retiree ID, a Common Access Card showing they're still actively serving in a active or guard/reserve capacity, or a VA-issued ID.

For example: I've served on active duty in support of OIF/OEF, so I'm a GWOT/Global War on Terrorism veteran with multiple DD-214s to show it. When renewing a SC drivers license you can bring your DD-214 with you up to the DMV and in capital red letters there's a "VETERAN" label that goes vertically next to your picture. I also am still serving in the Reserves so I have 2 forms of ID on me at any given time showing my military status.
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-01-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    My question is, if I’m not a vet but have a place to take someone, can I accompany them as long as I don’t have a gun.
    Yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Most vets these days carry some flavor of ID, whether it be a retiree ID, a Common Access Card showing they're still actively serving in a active/guard or reserve capacity, or a VA-issued ID.

For example: I've served on active duty in support of OIF/OEF, so I'm a GWOT/Global War on Terrorism veteran with multiple DD-214s to show it. When renewing a SC drivers license you can bring your DD-214 with you up to the DMV and in capital red letters there's a "VETERAN" label that goes vertically next to your picture. I also am still serving in the Reserves so I have 2 forms of ID on me at any given time showing my military status.
    Need to take my DD-214 to the dmv next then.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    Yes. You’re not hunting if you don’t possess the means to take game. No different than scouting before season starts...

Willy, we need to talk about doing something next year at the club. I’m not sure about Vet days out there but we’ll look into it.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by DuvnDux View Post
    Willy, we need to talk about doing something next year at the club. I’m not sure about Vet days out there but we’ll look into it.
    Word. Far as I know most states are doing it. Not sure what the northern states did though. This change was a result of some legislation that Donald J. Trump passed approving vets/mil to hunt on these days alongside the youth.

I'm sure JW could connect us up with some vets in that area to host, if need be.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bump

Haven’t seen any offers for vet&kids to hunt anywhere. We’ve looked & most are kids only.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    Haven’t seen any offers for vet&kids to hunt anywhere. We’ve looked & most are kids only.
    Same buddy. I’m still trying to work some

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Same buddy. I’m still trying to work some

Thanks. We were willing to take a ride for a hunt.

My youngest went scouting this am & saw a good many. He’s going, while I’m at a college visit with oldest.

Did he do any good?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]