Thread: Thank you DNR

Default Thank you DNR

Moving the season dates to the end of January is one of the best things they have done.
    Last edited by BrownDog; 01-29-2021 at 07:08 PM.

I hunted a public lake in central Florida today and flat out could not convince the ringos to be my friends. Two weeks ago they were all in.

Today they were all “nah”.

4F358F9E-7ADF-4A76-B199-B0D59F84330D.jpg
    Last edited by abarill; 01-29-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Without any more details than the photo, I’d say they are seeing you.

If you were in the same set up weeks ago, pressure may not have been as heavy, and they played the game.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That sun is shining bright on that net.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I’d imagine it’s tough for doves to land out there.

Am I missing something?

I guess I should have specifically said dove season. Someone in my field killed a limit every Saturday of third season. A lot more goes into it than the dates but it sure was one crucial part of the puzzle.

FD57A66C-23AE-4353-9A7E-E86DCA66DAFF.jpg

This was two weeks ago.

The first pic I uploaded was from the second spot I moved to- lost my palm fronds along the way, sun was not my friend today. Also was way more cautious with shots today. I haven’t hunted a lot of ringnecks, and forgot how hardy those creatures can be. I wanted all my shots to be close today. Ended up not pulling the trigger.

While picking up I noticed a mud boat coming back from another section of lake with two pirogues, and I think more people have been laying out recently.

Also, two weeks ago I noticed the ringnecks take forever to find a spot where they will actually land. They will fly high and low, big circles and smaller, climb 50yds in the air and circle out 200-300yds, then finally come back in. When they decoy, every time I think they are about to land (as in 1ft from the water), they kinda hover around the decoys at that height and finally settle and land. Is that a normal thing for them? Today they would do the same high/low flight, wide/smaller circles, skirt the decoys at 2ft from the water, then ditch out without me moving. My thought was that they had to be seeing me, but I thought it was weird they would circle so many times and still act like they were going to commit. I would’ve thought they would’ve seen me from higher up, then bailed before the whole song and dance.

Also brown dog sorry to derail your thread- glad y’all are killing the doves

JAB the topic was posted in the dove forum was the reason for my comment.
    Last edited by CreekGeek; 01-29-2021 at 08:40 PM.

No, I get that. And the late dove success too...

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    FD57A66C-23AE-4353-9A7E-E86DCA66DAFF.jpg

This was two weeks ago.

The first pic I uploaded was from the second spot I moved to- lost my palm fronds along the way, sun was not my friend today. Also was way more cautious with shots today. I haven’t hunted a lot of ringnecks, and forgot how hardy those creatures can be. I wanted all my shots to be close today. Ended up not pulling the trigger.

While picking up I noticed a mud boat coming back from another section of lake with two pirogues, and I think more people have been laying out recently.

Also, two weeks ago I noticed the ringnecks take forever to find a spot where they will actually land. They will fly high and low, big circles and smaller, climb 50yds in the air and circle out 200-300yds, then finally come back in. When they decoy, every time I think they are about to land (as in 1ft from the water), they kinda hover around the decoys at that height and finally settle and land. Is that a normal thing for them? Today they would do the same high/low flight, wide/smaller circles, skirt the decoys at 2ft from the water, then ditch out without me moving. My thought was that they had to be seeing me, but I thought it was weird they would circle so many times and still act like they were going to commit. I would’ve thought they would’ve seen me from higher up, then bailed before the whole song and dance.
    Wind is your friend...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    ....and forgot how hardy those creatures can be.
    They're no more hardy than any other small waterfowl. Steel just sucks donkey balls.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Steel is plenty effective. You, however, are defective.

Laziness is a duck hunters biggest enemy.
    867-5309

Keep singing that song Tater. You might get someone else to believe it. Not me. I know better. On both points.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-30-2021 at 08:42 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft