Thread: Non Resident Montana Hunters...

Default Non Resident Montana Hunters...

Copied and pasted from Randy Newberg...

IF YOU HUNT MONTANA DEER OR ELK AS A NON-RESIDENT, PLEASE READ THIS. 🚨
    The Montana Legislature has been asked to consider a bill, Senate Bill 143, that would take 60% of the non-resident deer/elk tags and force those 60% to go through an outfitter. Yup, that’s correct, take 60% of the tags from the general draw and give those tags to non-residents who use an outfitter.
    This is a huge negative for self-guided non-residents to hunt Montana. As demand for tags gets higher and higher, cutting the pool of tags by 60% to those inclined to hunt on their own is against all I stand for and all that our platforms are about. I have been using our platforms to notify residents and non-residents of this proposed bill that has a lot of lobbying support, though almost no resident support.
    The good news is that you, even as a non-resident, can have a big impact on this outcome. Non-residents have more influence than you probably expect. The bill is being heard on February 2nd in the Senate Fish & Game Committee. Killing a bill in committee is the best way to defeat this effort. If you hunt Montana as a non-resident, you can reach these committee members at these emails with your thoughts about Senate Bill 143 and ask them to share your comments with the rest of their Committee members.
    Committee Chairman – Senator Steve Hinebach steve.hinebauch@mtleg.gov
    Committee Vice-Chairman – Senator Bob Brown Bob.Brown@mtleg.gov
    Link to the bill here - https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billpdf/SB0143.pdf

Yup. The guys on bowsite are all stirred upon about this, too.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Yup. The guys on bowsite are all stirred upon about this, too.
    I've taken advantage of outfitter tags in Montana in the past and see both sides. Some argue that when outfitter tags were eliminated it put more pressure on public land and caused a decrease in access to private land as owners pulled out of block management. I also don't see how .gov, even from a wildlife management standpoint, can favor a private industry.

It should be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've taken advantage of outfitter tags in Montana in the past and see both sides. Some argue that when outfitter tags were eliminated it put more pressure on public land and caused a decrease in access to private land as owners pulled out of block management. I also don't see how .gov, even from a wildlife management standpoint, can favor a private industry.

It should be interesting to watch.
    You can see it in the kickback envelope and in the free guided hunts- no politician does anything without it benefitting them or theirs in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    You can see it in the kickback envelope and in the free guided hunts- no politician does anything without it benefitting them or theirs in some way.
    I remember when this went the other way and they took away the outfitter tags. Politicians somehow made out on that deal too. Not sure what's changed to shift it back the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I remember when this went the other way and they took away the outfitter tags. Politicians somehow made out on that deal too. Not sure what's changed to shift it back the other way.

Hate to hear that, I’ll call my contacts in Montana for input

Well fuck I’m putting in for a elk tag there this yr
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

It has created quite the stir up here in MT. Thats for sure.

Selling out to out of state money. It's the Montana way.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Selling out to out of state money. It's the Montana way.
    It’s the comeyahs not the beenyahs. Problem is they are now outnumbered.
    cut\'em

Ranchers control the politics out west. Outfitters are a source of additional income, and they HATE the DIY crowd. So do the locals. On X , GO Hunt, and Youtube have made Western hunting doable for the folks that didn't take the time to understand the draws or how to read a map. Its an effort to eliminate the competition.