Thread: January Fishing

Default January Fishing

While it is hard to complain about a "harsh" SC winter we did see some colder weather over January. While the fishing remained good a more technical approach has been needed to stay productive.

Trout - I always view trout as a high water fish. I have been targeting them along main river shorelines with a broken shell banks. Smaller baits with a more relaxed retrieve have been the ticket. Small lightly weighted presentations have been key, the light weight allows a slower fall which is where the bite has been coming.

Redfish - The fish are still tightly schooled but colder weather, dolphin predation, and fishing pressure have taken their tole making them very weary.

When approaching these fish come in well up current and either drift or push pole down to them, once in casting range power pole or pin down. The school is likely to bounce back and forth along a shoreline within a few hundred yard stretch, wait your turn for them to come your direction. You will get more quality shots being patient than trying to run them down.

Finesse baits such as those in ZMan's Ned rig series have been out fishing everything else, including live bait. My go to has been a green pumpkin TRD on a 1/10oz mushroom head. The aim has been to cast to the edge of the school or ahead of where they are going and very slowly drag the bait along the bottom just a few inches at a time. Patience is key.

Fly Fishing - Schooled fish in clear water lend themselves to great sight fishing targets. On low tide many oysters and other obstructions are left out of the water giving the option to downsize leader and rod weight to get a very light presentation. Size 1-6 flies in muted natural colors seem to work best with short strips letting the fly fall between. Our fish on fly are coming in very shallow water often casting right up to dry ground and puling the fly off. You will notice a chocolate milk colored cloud off the bank, at the mouth of creeks, or along current lines in shallow water. I have found that the more actively feeding fish are being found in this dirty water.

Thanks, good tips for winter fishing