Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornbread

My Granny's secret was fried cornbread. I tried for years until I finally figured it out. The "secret" is usually the process, not the ingredients.

Mix plain cornmeal with water (heavy salt and pepper) so that you can pour the cornmeal out into a hot skillet with grease. Fry till crispy. Don't flip until it's brown on the edges and hard on the skillet side. Use to push your perleau or collards on your fork.

Don't use milk or buttermilk.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm quietly following this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    I'm quietly following this thread...
    Waiting on our input

It ain't Chateaubriand we are talkin here ..........
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

( I can cook that too)
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    If you’re eating Jiffy you don’t know what real cornbread is. I’m sorry Cali. Jiffy is cake, like my grandmother’s pound cake kinda cake. Cornbread is made from scratch with cornmeal buttermilk and a cast iron skillet, and yes butter on top.
    I don't disagree.....my point was the melted butter, mixed into the ingredients not the brand Jiffy Bread.
    I've had all kinds all ways and I do love it but one of my favorites is a thin crispy skillet fried.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It wasn’t until recently that I found out the cornbread I grew up on was non traditional. I got the cornmeal, sour cream, egg, and cream corn way. Jiffy is sweet, the other is dry, I like mine.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Ballard
    Low country redneck who moved north

Cast iron skillet, butter, 2 boxes of jiffy made to recipe, can of cream corn, cheese, jalapeño, bake

Jiffy is shit. Martha White makes a good mix. Preheat a cast iron skillet in oven. Take it out put a slab of butter in it. Let it melt and sizzle, the add your batter. Preheating is key. The bottom gets super crispy. Which i like.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DAVE View Post
    Waiting on our input
    I am a cornbread lover of all kinds. I do not discriminate. They all have a place in this world. If someone , especially a decent looking woman, makes it for me I smile and tell them it is the best cornbread I have ever had. My mothers family is from South Georgia and visiting there often as a kid I learned every grand mother's kitchen was different, and went lots of them. There was cornbread at every meal and homemade biscuits. They were totally unalike in every way. You didn't comment on whether you liked it or not. You cleaned your plate smiled and asked to be excused. This is when my love of cornbread was conceived.
    I make all kinds of cornbread myself. My decision on what kind is dependent on time and ingredients on hand. I keep most items in my cupboard on the reg though. I make homemade, I make Jiffy, and I try other peoples recipes and processes. For homemade I use Adluh or Congaree Milling Company unless someone has gifted me a small batch variety of cornmeal as a token of their appreciation. I actually love to wow guests with blue cornbread Made from CMC's blue roasted cornmeal! Historically and presently I have been known to add cheese, sausage, corn, minced onions, bell peppers, buttermilk, cream chees, sugar, bacon, bacon grease, you name it I have most likely tried it. I like soft hot cornbread and I like dried out cold cornbread with 2 slices of cold butter on top of it. I will never tell anyone they are doing it wrong. Cornbread is like life and up to personal interpretation.
    Now I'm hungry...

Did anyone else just have Bubba reciting the many ways he likes and cooks shrimp playing in their head?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Jiffy ain’t cornbread.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Did anyone else just have Bubba reciting the many ways he likes and cooks shrimp playing in their head?
    Hahaha

Don't make it more difficult than it is. HOT cast iron skillet with oil, take that recipe right off the Yelton's bag, and let it eat....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Don't make it more difficult than it is. HOT cast iron skillet with oil, take that recipe right off the Yelton's bag, and let it eat....
    Plagiarism is unbecoming.

How ever you make it add Dukes mayo and jalapeños
    Last edited by coot nasty; 01-29-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Only a person who is a damn Yankee would eat jiffy! Good Lord you people make me ill.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    I am a cornbread lover of all kinds. I do not discriminate. They all have a place in this world. If someone , especially a decent looking woman, makes it for me I smile and tell them it is the best cornbread I have ever had. My mothers family is from South Georgia and visiting there often as a kid I learned every grand mother's kitchen was different, and went lots of them. There was cornbread at every meal and homemade biscuits. They were totally unalike in every way. You didn't comment on whether you liked it or not. You cleaned your plate smiled and asked to be excused. This is when my love of cornbread was conceived.
    I make all kinds of cornbread myself. My decision on what kind is dependent on time and ingredients on hand. I keep most items in my cupboard on the reg though. I make homemade, I make Jiffy, and I try other peoples recipes and processes. For homemade I use Adluh or Congaree Milling Company unless someone has gifted me a small batch variety of cornmeal as a token of their appreciation. I actually love to wow guests with blue cornbread Made from CMC's blue roasted cornmeal! Historically and presently I have been known to add cheese, sausage, corn, minced onions, bell peppers, buttermilk, cream chees, sugar, bacon, bacon grease, you name it I have most likely tried it. I like soft hot cornbread and I like dried out cold cornbread with 2 slices of cold butter on top of it. I will never tell anyone they are doing it wrong. Cornbread is like life and up to personal interpretation.
    Now I'm hungry...
    Username checks out...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    My Granny's secret was fried cornbread. I tried for years until I finally figured it out. The "secret" is usually the process, not the ingredients.

Mix plain cornmeal with water (heavy salt and pepper) so that you can pour the cornmeal out into a hot skillet with grease. Fry till crispy. Don't flip until it's brown on the edges and hard on the skillet side. Use to push your perleau or collards on your fork.

Don't use milk or buttermilk.
    I grew up eating this
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!