Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So is it Widgeon or Wigeon

Default So is it Widgeon or Wigeon

I prefer less letters. Wigeon. The only bird that makes me feel like I can compete on the big stage in Stuttgart with a Haydel Dr-85. They did it well today.

C0F4D5D7-FD0E-4984-BA59-1C13D682F495.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

I think when you can kill that many of them, you can call them whatever you want.

I like to call them wig-e-ons
    867-5309

Feral Wig e ons.

I am a proponent of wigeon as well, but usually defer to JJ...

American Widgeon
    This lively and very handsome Duck is abundant during winter at New Orleans, where it is much esteemed on account of the juiciness of its flesh, and is best known by the name of Zinzin. In the Western Country, and in most parts of the Eastern and Middle States, it is called the Bald Pate. Early in September it enters the United States by their northern extremities, as well as from Texas; and in both these regions it is now well known to breed in nearly equal numbers. Those which retreat south-westward remain along the coast and in the interior of the Floridas, as well as all that portion of the Gulf of Mexico extending to the mouths of the Mississippi, where they remain until the latter part of April, sometimes even until the middle of May, as they have but a comparatively short journey to perform in order to arrive in Mexico in time to breed. On the coast of the Atlantic they keep in the marshes in company with various species of the same family, being in a manner indifferent as to their associates. During early spring, in Louisiana, they are often seen alighted on extensive plains that have very little water on them.

While advancing along the shores of the Gulf of Mexico, in April 1837, I and my party observed this species in considerable numbers; and during the whole of our stay in Texas, we daily saw and very frequently procured Widgeons. There they were found in ponds of brackish water, as well as in the fresh-water streams. Before we left that country they were all paired, and I was informed by the Honourable M. FISHER, Secretary to the Texian Navy, that a good number of them breed in the maritime districts, along, with several other Ducks, and that he annually received many of the young birds. Their manners at this time frilly proved the correctness of the statements of all those who spoke to me on this subject. Indeed my opinion is that some of these birds also propagate in certain portions of the most southern districts of the Floridas, and in the Island of Cuba, as I have seen Widgeons in the peninsula in single pairs, in the beginning of May.

Their retrograde movements in spring, like those of other species, depend much upon the temperature or the advance of the season; and those which proceed northward set out on their journey much earlier than those which move in the opposite direction, the former departing from the middle of March to the 20th of April. Their first appearance on the waters of the Ohio takes place late in September or early in October, when they at once throw themselves into the ponds of the interior, and there remain until the waters are closed by ice, scarcely any betaking themselves to the rivers, unless to repose on the sand-bars. They are there, however, less abundant than nearer the sea-coast, and usually associate with Pintails and Teals, but rarely with Mallards or Dusky Ducks. Whilst in those retired ponds of the forest, from one to another of which they roam in quest of food, they are less noisy than most other species, even than the Pintails, and in this respect resemble the Blue-winged Teals, whose notes are feeble and delicate. Those of the Widgeon are a soft whistle, somewhat similar to the word sweet, enunciated as if produced by a flute or a hautboy, and in my judgment not at all like the hew hew spoken of by WILSON. They are less shy in those retired places than most species, or are to appearance less aware of the danger of allowing the sportsman to approach them.

In feeding they immerse their neck and the anterior part of the body, generally swimming closer together than other Ducks, in consequence of which habits they are easily neared and often shot in great numbers at a single discharge. During their stay in those districts they feed on the roots and seeds of grasses, water-insects, beech-nuts, small fry, and leeches, and are not so delicate as an article of food as those procured in the rice-fields of South Carolina, or in the plantations of Louisiana and Florida. On their return in spring (for in mild winters they remain all the season in Kentucky), they generally continue until the end of April, and usually pair before they depart; which induces me to believe that numbers of them breed within the northern limits of the United States, although I have not heard of any having actually been seen doing so.

On the lakes near New Orleans, as well as on the Chesapeake, they are not unfrequently found in company with the Canvass-back Ducks. WILSON mentions their being partially supplied with food by the industry of the latter; but they manage very well in most parts without such assistance. When in full security, the Bald-pates feed at all hours of the day; but in thickly inhabited parts of the country, they usually seek for food at night or early in the morning.

The flight of this species is rather swift, well sustained, and accompanied by the whistling sound of the wings usual in birds of this family. They move in flocks of moderate size, and without much care as to the disposition of their ranks, being sometimes extended into a front line, sometimes in single file, frequently mingled confusedly, and flying at a moderate height, whether over the land or over the water. When they are first started, they fly almost perpendicularly, in a hurried and rather irregular manner. They walk prettily and with ease. After heavy falls of rain in our Southern States, they often alight in the corn-fields, in company with other Ducks, where the ploughed earth, being quite moist and soft, yields them an abundant supply of worms and insects, as well as grains of corn, peas, and other equally nutritious substances.

Dr. RICHARDSON informs us that this species breeds in the woody districts of the Fur Countries, up to their most northern limits, in latitude 80 degrees; and Mr. TOWNSEND states that it is abundant on the Columbia river; but he has not furnished me with any account of its breeding, and I have not had an opportunity of observing it during the season of propagation, as I left Texas without having found a nest or young.
    https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-ame...erican-widgeon

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I am a proponent of wigeon as well, but usually defer to JJ...

https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-ame...erican-widgeon

What species is the Dusky duck mentioned?
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-america/dusky-duck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldpate!

The duck is wigeon

The grass is widgeon
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

The duck is widgeon, and it has been so longer than JJ.

I’m sure the short-cut version, like with many things was derived from folks incapable of spelling

“Hell pigeon sounds like widgeon......jot that down.”
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

For a time in coastal SC they were called French teal.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Nice work!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Oui-jone
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Well, I’m going to go to the same spot tomorrow (goes against my better judgement) and hopefully shoot, wigeon, widgeon, oui jone, French teal, baldpates, cotton tops, robbers, feral wig e ons, wig-e-ons and whatever else we can come up with.
    Tomorrow, I just want to call them dead.
    The one thing I’m not going to do is drift right out of the channel in the dark like this morning and take a chunk out of my prop on the gravel bar.
    First damaged prop since some idiot put an oyster bar dead center of the channel in North Inlet around 2011. Stupid place for an oyster bar.

Default So is it Widgeon or Wigeon

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    First damaged prop since some idiot put an oyster bar dead center of the channel in North Inlet around 2011. Stupid place for an oyster bar.
    Good killing. Good to see you on here.
    Last edited by britton40; 01-24-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Where you at again? Good killin!
    Go Tigers!!!

Awesome. I grew up hunting ducks in Central Cali. Our bread and butter ducks were Sprigs and Baldpates. We could shoot 10 of either total, so Mallards usually got a pass. It was a numbers game. Grandpa called Mallards park ducks and looked down on them with disdain. Great photo !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    For a time in coastal SC they were called French teal.
    Regular old Nash Buckingham
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Nice. I love to hear them talking.

Woo-wee-hoo’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk