Thread: Murphy Island Questions

Default Murphy Island Questions

I’m taking 2 on the youth weekend.

Does DNR haul everyone out in wagons?

Jon boat after that or just walk wherever in your area after they drop you off?

Thanks

Truck to a boat.

10 minute boat ride down to Murphy.

Mudboat or outboard to your area.

Walk or paddleboat to the ducks.

Kids should have a blast.

I haven’t been on Murphy in 10 years but do not walk about without a wading stick or the boat provided to you. You can get stuck in the pluff mud quick.
    Go Tigers!!!

Thanks - Sounds like it's better to leave dog at home.

Quote Originally Posted by mctruluck09 View Post
    Truck to a boat.

10 minute boat ride down to Murphy.

Mudboat or outboard to your area.

Walk or paddleboat to the ducks.

Kids should have a blast.
    This. we went on Dec. 31 and had a good hunt. Dog was clutch with us. I would take dog again with no problems.

10-4. Thanks.

We went in November and I echo what cellis said... brought the dog and the gators were no issue in the hunt areas. In fact, dog was very helpful and so was he team of biologists. Listen to them. Beautiful place. Enjoy the hunt.

I have been to Murphy 4 times and just hunted Cedar there which is the same area. You will pull up not getting out of the car and choose your blind number. From there you will go to the docks and get on a boat to go down river to Murphy Island. There you will get off the boat and go by truck or boat to the area of your blind. The biologists tell me they have never had a dog killed by a gator but we have seen many there including one close to 14' when it was 23 degrees. I have had no problem with my dog and would highly suggest that if you have a good one that you take it. It is no fun sinking in mud up to your knees sometimes going after a duck. Get away from the blind and hide the boat as good as you can. Use some decoys but you do not need more than 12. Marsh seats are nice if you have them. Shoot the teal and whatever ducks you see early as it has been getting slow after sunrise. We killed a good mixed bag but I was very disappointed in the numbers of ducks I saw compared to past years. Good luck and have fun with the kids.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Marsh seat is crucial, so is a sled. Take some burlap to cover boat. We flipped it on its side leaned up against the paddles and put the burlap over the boat to help hide it.

If you got a good dog take it. No reason to leave it home. Went with cellis earlier in the season had a great hunt. Having the dog was awesome so I would suggest taking it if you can. Marsh seat is beneficial as well and they have sleds they will provide if you don't have one as well as marsh seats.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by BBN-SC View Post
    Thanks - Sounds like it's better to leave dog at home.
    Always better to bring the dog - if you can control it.

Its soupy as shit, I can tell you that