Thread: Starlink and Cameras

Default Starlink and Cameras

So friends of mine in Saskatchewan have been testing the Star Link low orbit satellite internet from Elon Musk.

They love it. Speeds are stable and great in areas where speeds were no speeds at all before.

It won't be long until they unleash the tech on rural America. I have always wanted to set up some 24/7 cams on certain areas to watch what comes through and basically spy on the critters doing their critter things.

Someone will make a name for themselves and plenty of money going out to plantations and setting up these type systems on every deer stand, duck pond, etc for the owners.

This tech is right around the corner for us. As much as I hate the idea of cameras watching us all the time, I can't wait for this...

I've been following this. I'm hoping by this time next year It has reached the latitude of South Arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

JAB, what cameras are they using? I'm on 4g T-mobile for now...reo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg Camo View Post
    JAB, what cameras are they using? I'm on 4g T-mobile for now...reo.jpg

What camera is this?

They are just tickled to have high speed internet.

The camera types will be key when it gets going down here. Reliable, waterproof, night capable, etc. Streaming 24/7 with motion detection that can either log the times or send the alert via txt or email. It will change the way we look at a lot of things, including that caretaker's kid/club member's wife, etc who like to ride around on your UTV nekkid when you are out of town...

Starlink is coming and everyone better get ready for it. its going to disrupt the big companies ability to say no and charge crazy rates

Why not some of those 3g/LTE game cameras? I think Starlink has a great purpose for people with a remote homes, campers, and maybe remote hunting club type buildings. I'm not sure it'll be worth it unless your cameras are all going to be in one place. From what I've read, Starlink will be around $100/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Why not some of those 3g/LTE game cameras? I think Starlink has a great purpose for people with a remote homes, campers, and maybe remote hunting club type buildings. I'm not sure it'll be worth it unless your cameras are all going to be in one place. From what I've read, Starlink will be around $100/mo.
    For me, I can't get the LTE in many of the places I would want a camera which, I might add, are the places I prefer.

The price is fine IF it is in that range and actually unlimited. No idea how they will roll out the plans in the US.

I think I see where you are going with the "all going to be in one place" thing. You are saying that beyond just a power source, either the cams would have to be able to trans/receive data directly from the constellation, or they will have to be linked to a common transmitter/receiver type thing?

I have not found a decent viable option for internet at my lake house, I've been watching it. There out there, but horrible speed, just down times, and then usage. I've been glancing over on how to stream something over phones.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    What camera is this?
    Reolink go pt

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

There will be no escape nor excuse to be away from a damn phone. It makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    For me, I can't get the LTE in many of the places I would want a camera which, I might add, are the places I prefer.

The price is fine IF it is in that range and actually unlimited. No idea how they will roll out the plans in the US.

I think I see where you are going with the "all going to be in one place" thing. You are saying that beyond just a power source, either the cams would have to be able to trans/receive data directly from the constellation, or they will have to be linked to a common transmitter/receiver type thing?
    I would be willing to bet with a high db gain antenna you can. I have cameras in places that I couldn’t dream of using a cellphone.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I mean that Starlink in its current form, is much like home internet where the internet connection will come in on one ethernet port. From there, you have the range of your wifi to contend with. Wireless bridges make that distance very long as long as you have power and line of sight.

Assuming you're not going to have power where you want a camera, you need something battery powered that can still connect. IMO, the best option are these cellular connected game cameras right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    There will be no escape nor excuse to be away from a damn phone. It makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach.
    Yup. A connected society has its positives and negatives. I would love for some of the earth to stay disconnected from the internet.