Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trees for Privacy Screen

Switch grass

How tall does your screen need to be? Sounds like a stout evergreen shrub like a cleyera might be a better option, but that's just me. When mature they'll grow 12' tall x 8' wide, if not taller assuming you don't trim em and if spaced 7-8' apart will literally create a solid green wall of separation.

Unless you just want trees, of course.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    How tall does your screen need to be? Sounds like a stout evergreen shrub like a cleyera might be a better option, but that's just me. When mature they'll grow 12' tall x 8' wide, if not taller assuming you don't trim em and if spaced 7-8' apart will literally create a solid green wall of separation.

Unless you just want trees, of course.

12' tall would work but Id rather have trees. I want fast growing, least amount of maintenance as possible, resilient. I want to be able to plant it and forget it.

I'm just trying to help by providing another option you might not have considered, but of course it's your call. Cause 'planting trees', 'creating a wall of separation' and 'fast growing' all in one package might be a tall order. All 3 of those usually don't go hand in hand without a lot of work. The work it sounds like you're not keen on putting in.

The cleyeras I planted in front of my last house as shrubs were exploding by year 3. I mean I had to cut em down every couple months thru spring/ summer/fall to avoid them completely covering up the house. Once they take root they grow fast!

Are these trees you're looking at really going to create the separation you're looking for? Will they do it in your lifetime?Will they not lose their leaves thus losing the very separation you really want?

In a few years, these cleyeras probably will. They're really more of a tree than a shrub anyway, but they're kinda marketed as a shrub. They're relatively cheap, readily available, are evergreen, low maintenance and once roots are established don't need much water. Can't get much more low maintenance than that.

Last edited by willyworm; 01-21-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I'm just trying to help by providing another option you might not have considered, but of course it's your call. Cause 'planting trees', 'creating a wall of separation' and 'fast growing' all in one package might be a tall order. All 3 of those usually don't go hand in hand without a lot of work. The work it sounds like you're not keen on putting in.

The cleyeras I planted in front of my last house as shrubs were exploding by year 3. I mean I had to cut em down every couple months thru spring/ summer/fall to avoid them completely covering up the house. Once they take root they grow fast!

Are these trees you're looking at really going to create the separation you're looking for? Will they do it in your lifetime?Will they not lose their leaves thus losing the very separation you really want?

In a few years, these cleyeras probably will. They're really more of a tree than a shrub anyway, but they're kinda marketed as a shrub. They're relatively cheap, readily available, are evergreen, low maintenance and once roots are established don't need much water. Can't get much more low maintenance than that.

Not sure I ever said I was looking for a complete wall of separation. Just something that will deter clear visibility into the property. These are gonna be planted along the road frontage and house will eventually be 250-300 yards off of the road. Leylands and Japanese Cedar grow 3-5ft per year. That's plenty fast enough for what i'm looking for. Appreciate your suggestion though.