Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBE3 in 20g Set to Be Released in 2021

Default SBE3 in 20g Set to Be Released in 2021

I think there are some other stories making headlines today, but I find this far more promising and exciting for the future of Americans...the Super Black Eagle 3 in 20 gauge. I mean, come on, no more pedestrian M2 or, God forbid, other brands of 20 gauge autoloaders. This is the real deal and has been field-tested by pro staff, so you know it must be good, right? Anyway, while it is technically now available for order, the theoretical shipping dates are in February and the reality of getting one in your hands if your local dealer does not owe you favors is probably more like the summer. Let the games begin. MG

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gu...d-in-20-gauge/

First Look: Benelli’s Super Black Eagle 3 Is Now Offered in 20-Gauge and 3-Inch 12-Gauge
    The iconic SBE shotgun platform gets put to the test on sea ducks in the brutal elements of late-season Alaska

By Natalie Krebs
    January 19, 2021
    Luke Kjos takes aim with the new Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 20-gauge.
    Luke Kjos takes aim with the new Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 20-gauge.Lee Thomas Kjos/Kjos Outdoors
    After decades of production and three generations of its Super Black Eagle platform, Benelli announced it will be offering its SBE3 in 20-gauge and 3-inch 12-gauge models. The introduction comes at a time when the waterfowling market is hungry for sub-gauge offerings, and hunters are ditching heavy 3½-inch loads for 3-inch non-toxics with just as much knockdown power but not as much recoil.

“There’s always been demand for the 20—people have been asking for it for years and years,” says George Thompson, director of product management for Benelli. “The increase in market share for 20 gauges in the last five years consecutively has been about five percent, and one year it grew 20 percent.”

There are a lot of reasons for that increased demand, which you can read about here, including a rise in quality ammunition.

“The reduced weight is a plus, and if you have the right shell and choke combination it’s absolutely effective,” says Zach Meyer of BOSS Shotshells, who killed his first harlequin with the SBE3 20 last week. We were hunting late-season sea ducks on Adak Island in Alaska, and the 20 performed well and cycled without a hiccup despite the demanding shots and harsh conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 20-gauge will be chambered for 2¾- and 3-inch shells, and is virtually indistinguishable from the 12-gauge SBE3 when it comes to components and features. As you’d expect, however, the sub-gauge offering is distinctly slimmer with nimble handling, especially in bulky winter layers. And at 5.8 pounds, it’s a pound lighter than the 3-inch 12.

The 20-gauge is more than a pound lighter than the SBE3 12.
    The 20-gauge is a pound lighter than the SBE3 12.Lee Thomas Kjos/Kjos Outdoors
    Some hunters may wonder why Benelli is offering the SBE in a 3-inch gun, since you can just throw a 3-inch shell in the existing SBE3 chambered for 3.5-inch shells. But a lot of folks don’t actually need, or ever use, that extra half-inch of shotshell capacity, but they’re still paying for it.

Read More
    “There’s one tangible benefit to the 3-inch 12-gauge SBE3,” Thompson says, “And that’s that it’s cheaper. If you’re never going to use 3.5-inch shells, you can save a couple hundred bucks and just buy a 3-inch chamber.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Another small benefit is size reduction. The 3-inch SBE3 is roughly ¾-inch shorter in overall length, and a few ounces lighter than big brother.

Hunters will have to wait for the 20 in Benelli’s new BE.S.T. finish, however, since production capacity for coating the necessary components is limited. The closest option for a BE.S.T.-finished 20-gauge will be Benelli’s ETHOS Cordoba model.

Although the SBE3 20 is technically available to order now, Thompson says inventory will arrive in February and should be easy to find when it does. The MSRP on the Super Black Eagle 3 in 20-gauge starts at $1,699 for black synthetic models, and jumps to $1,799 for Realtree, Mossy Oak, and Optifade camo versions. The 3-inch models also start at $1,699, and are currently available. You can find the full range of SBE3 offerings here.
    Dum Spiro Spero

This was the best news I heard yesterday for sure.

What's the difference in/advantage of a 20 gauge SBE over a 20 gauge M2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I’ll own one
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

No left hand model?? That sucks.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    same as the difference of a new set of titties versus an old set
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Price drop on LH 20 ga M2s then??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Pffft, what will it do that a M1 20 won't?

Love shooting a 20ga M2. Will be interested.

This is so exciting

Kidding, it's not

sticking with the only difference in previous models, it will have a steel receiver instead of aluminum. that is the only difference I can think of

What’s the difference in a M2 12 gauge and a 3” SBE 3 in 12?
    Last edited by theoldblackdog; 01-20-2021 at 11:58 AM.

I was fixing to buy another m2 20, I will wait now.

cool points from the scducks trading post crowd?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    What’s the difference in a M2 12 gauge and a 3” SBE 3 in 12?
    The top of the SBE receiver is attached to the barrel assembly which is a great feature when cleaning. You can really get inside the SBEs to clean thoroughly.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    The top of the SBE receiver is attached to the barrel assembly which is a great feature when cleaning. You can really get inside the SBEs to clean thoroughly.
    What's this "cleaning" you speak of? MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Only issue I have is my black barrel wants to rust on the M2 of said cleaning is not completed immediately.

Considering cerakote black to eliminate.

I try to keep it oiled but still occasionally gets spots.

They should pay Heckler and Koch $XXX per gun to let them stamp HK on them like they did when they needed to get around the import paperwork in the 90's. People would eat them up...

M2 is 3” and SBE is 3-1/2”.

I love my M2 20. I’d buy the SBE if they made it lefty.