Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New flounder limit

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    https://coastalobserver.com/lawmaker...OkJeQnDhQPWyrs

March 4, 2021

A bill by state Rep. Lee Hewitt that would reduce the catch limit from 10 to five flounder and increase the size limit from 15 to 16 inches was approved by a House subcommittee this week. The bill now moves to the Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs committee.
    The bill also allows anglers to keep only one flounder larger than 20 inches. A female that size can lay a million eggs.

State Sen. Stephen Goldfinch plans to take a different approach in a bill he intends to file.
    “My bill is going to end up increasing the cost of a fishing stamp by a few bucks,” he said. The money, which he estimated at $1.2 million annually, will be used to create a flounder fish hatchery.
    Goldfinch said. “I’m not going to do what DNR wants to do. It doesn’t make sense.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I think NC just closed the flounder season to all recreational harvest. It has steadily declined since I was stationed here in 2014. As long as NC runs inshore nets like the old testament I would imagine the flounder population will continue to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I want to amend this bill to prevent non-residents keeping a flounder.
    Is there evidence of non-residents keeping a significant quantity of flounder?

I want to amend this bill to prevent non-residents keeping a flounder.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Is there evidence of non-residents keeping a significant quantity of flounder?
    While I believe that DT is being facetious...

I'll go ahead and tell you that you can walk from Cherry Grove across the marsh to the boy scout camp stepping from one boat to the other and never get your feet wet...97% of those assholes are from NC.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

I'll go ahead and tell you that you can walk from Cherry Grove across the marsh to the boy scout camp stepping from one boat to the other and never get your feet wet...97% of those assholes are from NC.
    Yea its because our season is closed down, and until the state changes somethings quick it’s only going to get worse. I actually don’t do any salt water fishing in NC as my family is all in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

and what they catch and keep is a pimple on the ass of an elephant when talking state wide and fair weather tourists fishing
    size limits, I see plenty of flounder but most are under sized
    Not sure how bad trawlers wipe them out as catch or dead bye catch but I bet its significant
    I am sure you have seen, as I have seen a trawler dump his tail bag on the deck and all the baby flounder in it

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I am sure you have seen, as I have seen a trawler dump his tail bag on the deck and all the baby flounder in it
    When I fished commercially for shark, we'd go from one shrimp boat to another that was in cleaning out bycatch. I always wondered what the bycatch ratio to shrimp really was.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    and what they catch and keep is a pimple on the ass of an elephant when talking state wide and fair weather tourists fishing
    size limits, I see plenty of flounder but most are under sized
    Not sure how bad trawlers wipe them out as catch or dead bye catch but I bet its significant
    Not all of those “baby” flounder are summer or gulf.

There’s all sorts of little hogchoker flounder species that appear to be juvenile.

Not saying you’re wrong, just pointing that out.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I am serious. NC needs to decide what is most important. Recreational fishing or flounder in restaurants.

If my amendment passes they will understand how SC prioritizes.

A shot over the bow of NC.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

NC has a 1 1/2 month season for recreational flounder fishing. Commercial fisherman on NC are catching 57% of all flounder in our Region.

Closure of the NC recreational season had resulted in an overload of NC residents overfishing SC. Cherry Grove is rediculous.

This is the third time we are addressing the vontinurd decline. Nothing is working. NC is raping the resource.

Who do you prioritize?
    Commercial gill netters in NC
    Guides in SC
    NC residents.
    SC residents

NC has a 1 1/2 month season for recreational flounder fishing. Commercial fisherman on NC are catching 57% of all flounder in our Region.

Closure of the NC recreational season had resulted in an overload of NC residents overfishing SC. Cherry Grove is rediculous.

This is the third time we are addressing the vontinurd decline. Nothing is working. NC is raping the resource.

Who do you prioritize?
    Guides in SC
    NC residents.
    SC residents
    Recreational fishermen no matter what state they reside in should be the priority. And I agree NC is a big part of the problem. But shutting me out of fish the waters I was born and breed in just rubs me wrong.

NC and SC have been in a pissing match over license fees and everything else for as long as I can remember.

I see where your intention is and I think it's not over the top but NC will reciprocate in kind and add some extra pain to it. As someone who grew up fishing/hunting both states in the same day...it'll hurt the SC residents who live on those borders.

It will call attention to the only solution, they must get a gandle on their commercial fleet or there won’t be flounder for anyone to catch.

Their commercial lobby is pretty strong.

Having known lots of commercial guys from NC, and been on the take side of that myself...it's going to be an uphill battle from the bottom.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Recreational fishermen no matter what state they reside in should be the priority. And I agree NC is a big part of the problem. But shutting me out of fish the waters I was born and breed in just rubs me wrong.
    Not shutting you out. Fish all you want. To keep them you better have an instate lisence on boat.

Not shutting you out. Fish all you want. To keep them you better have an instate lisence on boat.
    That's a bull shit approach.

It won't make a difference to me personally what so ever, I can count on two hands how many flounder I've caught in my life. With that said, it doesn't sit right at all with me. Seems like a pissing match between agencies/states that only hurts the citizens.

Yea will keep that in mind on WNC trout streams or how about OBX duck hunts! I get it Phil I really do, the issue I have is that like everything the .gov does I get punished due to others. I’m not saying your wrong but as a 7th generation South Carolinian who lusts for the day I come home, I will take what the state allows it’s home residents.

Who do you prioritize?
    Guides in SC
    NC residents.
    SC residents
    And it isn't just the flounder that are being impacted. They will scoop up a whole creek of trout in the wintertime and plenty of reds, aligators, sea turtles...etc die as bycatch.

NC is 100% raping the resource and it is all old school politics. I have spent 9 years of my life living amongst "these people". It's muh heritage, bo.

The same kind of people that think it is ok to run dogs across your land because they cannot read signs.